• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

My normal farm field finds

KenG

I really enjoy seeing everyone's finds and reading the back stories to the hunt but I have to share my average finds.

I'm hunting a farm that has been in operation since the 1930's. The property was part of the encampments for the Cherokee removal and Fort Cass in 1835. Sherman brought his entire army through this area and camped overnight a mile or so away while they rebuilt a bridge. Sounds great doesn't it? Oldest coin found was 1947 wheat penny and I have found 1 fired 3 ringer.

I need some encouraging words, guidance or suggestions. I digging most everything I spared you the bucket of cans, nails, barb wire and old fence T post.

Cheers,
Ken

Attachments

• iron finds.jpg
    iron finds.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 235
Get the iron out of the way to find the good stuff! You gotta keep up on the hunt, it does stink sometimes not finding the cool stuff. When you see other members cool finds, remember we can all go hours or days without much to report.

You might pull some links for old aerial photos, there's a few threads here about them. Also look into the library of congress archives online and you can find tons of old maps. That's where I get most of my help

... nails, barb wire and ....

Why aren't you knocking out iron with your detector's discriminator ?

And also : Just because a farm is old doesn't necessarily make it a good spot. And an army "camping for a single night" or "just passing through the general area" is also not necessarily gonna make for a good site.

The best places for coins is going to be places where people had $ changing hands. Like stage stops for the express purpose of travelers stopping to spend money and stay-the-night. (not simply "farm work places" and "singular family concerns"). Or places where they played (parks, and overnight camping, for example).

For example, where I'm at, there's scores of barns, all around my county, that date to the late 1800s. But if I hunted around them, it would just be farm trash. Since this is working zones. Not a place where travelers came and spent $, or camped out for the night, etc.... So the coin ratios are going to be very poor.

Get the iron out of the way to find the good stuff! You gotta keep up on the hunt,...

digging iron till your arms fall off is not the recipe for old coins. The much bigger part of the formula is "location location location" . JMHO

Back
Top Bottom