My Equinox 800 Take (Tests and Commentary)

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
Updated 12 Feb 2012

I will be posting link here to the actual post # where actual first hand review/test info actually starts. This will speed the process up.
During my posting here, if I think it will help folks, I will embed in a post, a link taking folks forwards or backwards to other posts that may help with explanation.
I will try to label each post or area as "with bold case" into 2 categories, first being general info, the second being advanced user info.

This link here will take you directly to where my actual test and commentary begins.
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=2893647&postcount=40

Here is where I will post info on Equinox 800 model.

Here's what I have planned. No videos period.
I just don't do videos, nothing to do with Equinox.

Compare depth performance on freshly buried targets both higher and lower. Comparing multi freq to all single freqs.

Will be comparing Deus 11" coil to the Equinox 11" coil.
For separation, 3D unmasking. Depth.
Depending on what I see may compare to Deus 9" LF coil.
As well as Deus 9" round HF coil.

Need to compare using headphones with and without module to see lag effects maybe for separating or unmasking challenging scenarios.

Depth comparisons on undisturbed target will be compared to the mighty XS explorer. Would like to compare moreso on deeper copper or silver coin.

What are the tendencies are fas as Equinox reporting detectable yet challenged target.

May have to cheat and find a few with Deus I think are challenged and then see what Equinox tells me.

How sensitive is coil height for actual detecting mid depth targets.

How does the disc interact settings wise to how good or bad Equinox separtates/unmask.

Accuracy of ID as depth progresses downward, and how does tone carry on.

How or what disadvantages does notch bring.

Will be do comparing not weight but actual feel (nose heaviness) compqring Deus with various coils. This should give folks who already have Deus a good idea of what to expect should they purchase.

It should prove interesting.

I will post here on the forum in my own thread. Folks can definitely ask questions, give their opinions, etc.

Folks can read at their own risk.

It will be the good, bad, and the ugly if noted.

I am beholden to no one.

Will give accurate assessment.

Will see if any advantages besides possible emi does single frequency operation provide.

Ground mineral levels will always be reported.

Do have fresh water beach to take unit to for gee whiz.

If folks are expecting info from me for salt water beach, ocean performance, you had better look elsewhere.

Coin and relics will be mostly what I talk about.
I will play with some jewelry both ring sized and smaller and report on.

Other detectors that will likely be commented on due to my comparing.
Rutus Alter 71
Nokta Impact

Will take a while, my posting will be steady weather permitting.
Folks should remember my soil in my area not the easiest to detect in, medium mineralized to higher in most places.

I couldn't care less who reads my info or who buys or doesn't buy Equinox.

Will I keep my Equinox?
Depends.
If it don't help me in detecting -No.

If my info helps folks so be it.

I think we will start with time to see some parallels with different folks reporting, as far as what they say.

I will be monitoring other folks Equinox videos, if I see something pertinent that is not pointed out or discussed that I have direct knowledge of due to my Equinox use I will talk about.

At the same time, if Impost some thing that someone finds strange or squirrely base on THEIR Equinox use by all means bring it up.

Btw I do have CTX and MxSport experience.
You likely will here me mention them too when talking about Equinox.

So with time, depending on my experiences and others too, Equinox will be assigned a spot in the hierarchy of detectors. Price should be a factor too when placing.

You are far more likely to hear me say some thing negative about Equinox vs a treasure hunting magazine review- if something negative exists. No detector is perfect. May have been, should have been Minelab's goal, but realistically it will have some weaknesses. We will hopefully find these out.

The question for interested parties will be are these weakness(Es)/negative things some thing folks can live with should they buy.

Key for me is to be objective when using and testing.
My intention is not to do a hit job on Equinox.

I will post photos.
If you see me post a photo, I am doing for good reason good or bad. Folks might should really study and read up on how I describe/talk about. REMEMBER I have done a lot of test with Deus, so I will be really honing in on Equinox's reactions and behavior.

Some folks may be interest yet not committed to Equinox.
Hopefully my info will help you with your decision.

If and when I arrive at a point where I am satisfied with unlocking Equinox.

Mr Choppadude, will be offered my unit to use, review for a period.

His review I think is valued here on this forum greatly.

The least I can do.

If Choppadude for whatever reason doesn't accept this offer.
Then I will pick someone else from this forum who I think can do an objective review of detector.
Digger027 is right now on my list. As his soil is hot, would be a great setting for Equinox. Mud-puppy is another good one. He water hunts. We'll see.
Don't have Equinox yet.lol

Last edited:
You always have good info and unbiased reviews....but man, can't you take a quick road trip and do the test on the beach. I mean a real "SALT WATER" beach. :laughing:

Eh, looks like I'll have to wait until mine arrives.

I will also try to provide some use info run time wise and charge info, by using 2 lithium packs. One is 6,000mAh, the other is 10,000 mAh.

Likely will go to wally world and buy a cheap lcd watch that has stop watch on.
And attacked to detector to keep up with actual power on time.

I for one will be checking in on your review of the Eqinox....I plan on getting a 600 if they live up to all the hubbub...

and thanks again for the help with my deus coil the other night....

HDD

Sounds good. I'm really torn about if I would prefer Equinox or Makro MF Kruzer.

I may indeed buy multi Kruzer.
May try to talk to Bart at Big Boys hobbies tomorrow.
Based on some reporting, Impact signal wise should be like Kruzer. So I'll use it.

Then I can compare it to Equinox.
My Impact experience should get me up and running pretty fast with Kruzer.
Wish I had an At Max.

Tell you folks one thing, you probably are lucky I don't do videos. You might get overwhelmed with video if I did do.
I do think I could do a nice job narrating, so you would know what the detector settings are and what I am listening for. And some of the whys and whatevers as far how I think the way I do on certain targets when located.

Last edited:
I look forward to reading your reviews TNSS, it may be a month or more before I get a chance to hunt with mine. I will be comparing the Equinox to the MX Sport mostly in the water, just being lighter should be an advantage but I will also test it side by side with my X Terra, all my hunting grounds are public spaces with very few silvers left so a little more depth could really open these spots up for me. If I find no advantages over the X Terra on land I may sell one of the waterproof machines and pick up an E Trac, we'll see.

Sounds good. I'm really torn about if I would prefer Equinox or Makro MF Kruzer.

I'll be comparing Multi-Kruzer and Equinox 600 on youtube soon.

Mainly Eq600 Park full tones vs MK14khz 4 tone because that's the style hunting I do. Probably some very basic depth test and walk through of settings. If you need a wall of text on every setting and scenario TNSS will certainly provide that for those interested.

I'm a Xterra/FBS and Fisher/Tek/Makro/Nokta fan so will be interesting to for me personally to see what I prefer long-term.

Mainly Eq600 Park full tones vs MK14khz 4 tone because that's the style hunting I do. Probably some very basic depth test and walk through of settings. If you need a wall of text on every setting and scenario TNSS will certainly provide that for those interested.

I'm a Xterra/FBS and Fisher/Tek/Makro/Nokta fan so will be interesting to for me personally to see what I prefer long-term.

Nice of you Craig to do.
I will be watching, for sure.

Did you really take the time to write all that to tell us what your plans are for reviewing this new machine? I wish I had that much free time. ;)

Here is where I will post info on Equinox 800 model.

Here's what I have planned. No videos period.
I just don't do videos, nothing to do with Equinox.

Compare depth performance on freshly buried targets both higher and lower. Comparing multi freq to all single freqs.

Will be comparing Deus 11" coil to the Equinox 11" coil.
For separation, 3D unmasking. Depth.
Depending on what I see may compare to Deus 9" LF coil.
As well as Deus 9" round HF coil.

Need to compare using headphones with and without module to see lag effects maybe for separating or unmasking challenging scenarios.

Depth comparisons on undisturbed target will be compared to the mighty XS explorer. Would like to compare moreso on deeper copper or silver coin.

What are the tendencies are fas as Equinox reporting detectable yet challenged target.

May have to cheat and find a few with Deus I think are challenged and then see what Equinox tells me.

How sensitive is coil height for actual detecting mid depth targets.

How does the disc interact settings wise to how good or bad Equinox separtates/unmask.

Accuracy of ID as depth progresses downward, and how does tone carry on.

How or what disadvantages does notch bring.

Will be do comparing not weight but actual feel (nose heaviness) compqring Deus with various coils. This should give folks who already have Deus a good idea of what to expect should they purchase.

It should prove interesting.

I will post here on the forum in my own thread. Folks can definitely ask questions, give their opinions, etc.

Folks can read at their own risk.

It will be the good, bad, and the ugly if noted.

I am beholden to no one.

Will give accurate assessment.

Will see if any advantages besides possible emi does single frequency operation provide.

Ground mineral levels will always be reported.

Do have fresh water beach to take unit to for gee whiz.

If folks are expecting info from me for salt water beach, ocean performance, you had better look elsewhere.

Coin and relics will be mostly what I talk about.
I will play with some jewelry both ring sized and smaller and report on.

Other detectors that will likely be commented on due to my comparing.
Rutus Alter 71
Nokta Impact

Will take a while, my posting will be steady weather permitting.
Folks should remember my soil in my area not the easiest to detect in, medium mineralized to higher in most places.

I couldn't care less who reads my info or who buys or doesn't buy Equinox.

Will I keep my Equinox?
Depends.
If it don't help me in detecting -No.

If my info helps folks so be it.

I think we will start with time to see some parallels with different folks reporting, as far as what they say.

I will be monitoring other folks Equinox videos, if I see something pertinent that is not pointed out or discussed that I have direct knowledge of due to my Equinox use I will talk about.

At the same time, if Impost some thing that someone finds strange or squirrely base on THEIR Equinox use by all means bring it up.

Btw I do have CTX and MxSport experience.
You likely will here me mention them too when talking about Equinox.

So with time, depending on my experiences and others too, Equinox will be assigned a spot in the hierarchy of detectors. Price should be a factor too when placing.

You are far more likely to hear me say some thing negative about Equinox vs a treasure hunting magazine review- if something negative exists. No detector is perfect. May have been, should have been Minelab's goal, but realistically it will have some weaknesses. We will hopefully find these out.

The question for interested parties will be are these weakness(Es)/negative things some thing folks can live with should they buy.

Key for me is to be objective when using and testing.
My intention is not to do a hit job on Equinox.

I will post photos.
If you see me post a photo, I am doing for good reason good or bad. Folks might should really study and read up on how I describe/talk about. REMEMBER I have done a lot of test with Deus, so I will be really honing in on Equinox's reactions and behavior.

Some folks may be interest yet not committed to Equinox.
Hopefully my info will help you with your decision.

If and when I arrive at a point where I am satisfied with unlocking Equinox.

Mr Choppadude, will be offered my unit to use, review for a period.

His review I think is valued here on this forum greatly.

The least I can do.

If Choppadude for whatever reason doesn't accept this offer.
Then I will pick someone else from this forum who I think can do an objective review of detector.
Digger027 is right now on my list. As his soil is hot, would be a great setting for Equinox. Mud-puppy is another good one. He water hunts. We'll see.
Don't have Equinox yet.lol

Looking forward to your video!

Did you really take the time to write all that to tell us what your plans are for reviewing this new machine? I wish I had that much free time. ;)

Well, the words didn't get on here on their own. I type with thumbs on iPad mimi. I have a PC and laptop, just don't use very often. I hear editing video can be very time consuming, far more than typing a few posts.

Having glossed over the manual, it looks like a real nice detector.
It seems to be taking on the 'best all rounder' category, maybe not so much the site/target specific machine, (which is probably too small a market af this price point to make big profits) so some single freq units may survive the wrath of the Equinox lol

I'll be reading your findings with interest. Your posts on the Impact were what finally pushed me to get one and am very glad I did, it's a great machine!

I am looking for a fully waterproof machine now and will also be looking ar the Kruzer, and like the Equinox I will be on the sidelines watching out for real world, everyday, unbiased usage rather than Minelab / Makro testers (no offence to either btw)

Back
Top Bottom