FANTASTIC Silver Hunt and Buffs, and BIG SILVER (but not the kind you are expecting)

Buellride

Forum Supporter
I have to consider myself extremely lucky and "blessed" to have found the finds I have over the past 13+ years of doing this hobby. Morgans, 20 cent'ers, very rare Barbers, Halves, etc. most of which has been catalogued on this forum. But a few of my "White Whales" are a Standing Liberty Quarter and a Seated Half or Quarter, Dime (I already have the 20 Cent seated ;)).

Anyway......

As of late I have been working too much, weather hasn't been cooperative and when I have gone out with Cruiserkev or RainorShine as of late they seem to be pulling MY White Whales!! :shock::lol: And I haven't pulled much silver for this month.

Today I decided to go to what we "coin" the Giving Beach. This Giving Beach is located "somewhere" in the PNW and we have absolutely POUNDED this stretch of beach between Cruiserkev and myself. As of late we have been getting some pretty good storms up here and I was praying to the Metal Detecting Gods as well as Mother Nature that someone had "stirred up the beach" and history has "deposited" some goodness in the rocks for me.

Well, both of those gods must have been listening.

From the first instant I put my coil over the ground I found a clad quarter, then another clad quarter...heck I was pulling so much clad out of this little stretch I was wondering "WHERE IS THE SILVER!!!" (mind you we have probably pulled at least 20+ silver coins out of here in the past).

Well I adjusted my britches, tightened up the belt strap, re-seated my gloves and continued to plow through the beach.

After about 1 hour I finally got the 1942S Washington! Wahoo! Silver in a model bigger than 5 or 10 cents. A couple of Buffalo Nickels later, BAM! My White Whale decided to beach himself under my coil. A "no date" Variety 1 Standing Liberty Quarter!!:cool3::yes: Finally that monkey was off my back!

Oh and the "Big Silver"!? That came after I decided to plunder some more the area where the SQL came out of.

That would be the 1936 '5 Reichsmark'. Even though it is from Nazi Germany, it is 13.9 grams of .900 Silver. About the size of a Half Dollar (actually that was what I though it was when I came out). The history of this particular coin is very, very interesting. The edge is smooth with inscription
Lettering: GEMEINNUTZ GEHT VOR EIGENNUTZ or Translation: common good takes priority over self-interest .

I am enclosing a picture of what it looks like un-sea water damaged.

So 3 silvers, 2 Buffs (1926 and a 1936S), and 4 Wheaties that are just toasted.

I finally got an SQL, and a BIG SILVER to boot!!

HH all and GL out there!!

Attachments

• 2_13 Total Finds.jpg
    2_13 Total Finds.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 614
  • 2_13 SLQ Front.jpg
    2_13 SLQ Front.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 542
  • 2_13 SLQ Back.jpg
    2_13 SLQ Back.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 556
  • 2_13 Washington Front 42.jpg
    2_13 Washington Front 42.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 531
  • 2_13 Reichsmark 5 1936 Front.jpg
    2_13 Reichsmark 5 1936 Front.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 544
  • 2_13 Reichsmark 5 1936 Back.jpg
    2_13 Reichsmark 5 1936 Back.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 525
  • Reichsmark Back.jpg
    Reichsmark Back.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 512
Big congratulations on the silver. Sorry I wasn't there for the fist bumps like you were when I found the Seated yesterday, but you did such a great job with the narrative that I felt like I was there. I told you it was your turn. Hope you repeat on your next outing.

Big congratulations on the silver. Sorry I wasn't there for the fist bumps like you were when I found the Seated yesterday, but you did such a great job with the narrative that I felt like I was there. I told you it was your turn. Hope you repeat on your next outing.

TY Gale, it is always somebody's "time", glad that you, me and Kevin all did it during the same week!

Good show.

I BET that SLQ is actually a 'S' mintmark.....:lol:

Sweet finds! Still waiting for a type 1 stander. Congrats!

I wish I could figure out how to tease that date back out of the silver....I have seen folks mention it on the forum, just don't know how

Outstanding!

TY

TY Gale, it is always somebody's "time", glad that you, me and Kevin all did it during the same week!

I BET that SLQ is actually a 'S' mintmark.....:lol:

I wish I could figure out how to tease that date back out of the silver....I have seen folks mention it on the forum, just don't know how

TY

Silver testing acid, put just enough to cover the surface of the coin for a few seconds and wipe it off. Try it a couple times if it doesnt work the first. It may work, it may not, hope it does though!

Wow! Great finds, excellent narrative, and superb photos. Congrats!

Thank you Sir!

Great hunt fer sure.

It is a rarity around here to get any multi-silver hunts, especially larger coins. Note that I didn't find any silver dimes on this hunt, only the 2 quarters and "half"/German coin. Still scratching my head as to where all the silver dimes went! LOL

Silver testing acid, put just enough to cover the surface of the coin for a few seconds and wipe it off. Try it a couple times if it doesnt work the first. It may work, it may not, hope it does though!

Cool, I have the silver acid piece, but will the acid be able to cut through the saltwater patina? Thank you for the recommendation.

Thanks for sharing that story. A lot of people think we are all out to get rich with this hobby but the thrill of a day like you just had is priceless. Good luck and God Bless

Awesome score Bull, congrats on the whitewhale find and the big silver. Never saw one of those but a cool find. I once found a 3 Mark silver. Looks like a pretty great hunt. HH Mark

Very cool! The SQL is a great find and congrats on your white whale. I think the real killer though is the German silver. Awesome! I got lucky and found a WLH on a beach north of Seattle last weekend. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for sharing that story. A lot of people think we are all out to get rich with this hobby but the thrill of a day like you just had is priceless. Good luck and God Bless

True, if we tallied our cost of equipment/time, gas, etc....we would be in the red CONSTANTLY :lol:

Awesome score Bull, congrats on the whitewhale find and the big silver. Never saw one of those but a cool find. I once found a 3 Mark silver. Looks like a pretty great hunt. HH Mark

Thanks Mark, still wish I could be in Pennsylvania where I was stationed at Carlisle....great memories there in terms of historical finds.

Very cool! The SQL is a great find and congrats on your white whale. I think the real killer though is the German silver. Awesome! I got lucky and found a WLH on a beach north of Seattle last weekend. Keep up the good work!

Thank you, a fellow PNW'er, the "struggle" is real :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom