Best Buy scam

father/son/ohio

Elite Member
Hey everybody,

just wanted to give a heads up about a 'new?' text message scam someone tried to pull on my mom. She got a text message yesterday saying that she was randomly selected to recieve a free $1000 gift card to best buy. It has an internet address attached for her to give all of her information to receive the gift. She was a little unsure about it so she called best buy and asked about it. They said they have been getting a lot of calls about it. They also said that it was a hoax and they are looking into it.

So if you get a text message from bestbuy saying you won $1000 gift card its not real!

i think i've also seen something similar but it was walmart, it was also a 1000 dollar gift card.........ya had ta click the attached link that came with it, needless ta say i didn't click the link.........my luck it was probably a valid win :lol:

I don't text, I don't cell phone, period. I don't open e-mail that doesn't come from someone, or some place, I'm familiar with, and even then I don't give out personal information lightly. Don't know if it's the same for cell phones, but caller ID on landlines can be fooled with, the number calling, or the person listed can be faked.

I've been getting a call about winning a Lincoln Navigator in a sweepstakes drawing, for over a year. I learned that sweepstakes were mostly for gathering advertising information, junk mail, and phone calls, 20 years ago, and haven't entered any since, and greatly reduce the amount I receive (very rare these days).

Clicking a link, is about the same as opening a program, except it might do other tasks, other than displaying text....

Some web sites you may accidentally visit have malware (trojans) that will download into your browser without you even needing to click on a link. This is known as a "drive by" download. Unless you have to have it turned on for some of the sites you visit, you should keep Java disabled on your browser (note i said Java, not Javascripts).

Also, you may want to look at software like Bitdefender traffic light which intercepts whatever is being downloaded and inspects it for nasties before your browser gets to execute the code. Another good tool is Ghostery which allows you to selectively block all kinds of code that are used by many sites to keep track of your browsing history.

I've been getting those texts too recently. I knew it was a hoax because I've never been a repeated "lucky" winner as many times that they have "chosen" me:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I've gotten the Best Buy text about a dozen times in the last few months.

If you are active on Craigslist expect to see those emails and texts. That's why you shouldn't post your phone number or email directly in adds the normal wY they would be written. Actually helps.

i dont text
thanks for the heads up though

I don't text either. If I want to talk to you, I'll just call.
I tell my kids the same thing. If they want me, they call me.
I answer nothing else.

That is what a cell phone is for right? ...........see ya yardhunter

Seems to me if I got an unsolicited text it'd be the same as any other unsolicited email, phone call or whatever. It's !!!!.. don't ever respond to them.

Back
Top Bottom