My first target with the Nox 600...a dental filling?!

beachclad

My Equinox finally arrived today but UPS came late and by the time the battery charged the sun had already set. So, I went out for a Valentine's day night hunt.

Did my air tests and some target practice, and then set it to Beach 1 and off I went to detect in the wet sand. An area I've hunted like 100 times already.

My first target -- I don't remember the exact ID range, but it was low, like 10-12 -- sounds off and it's deep, like all 4 bars. I was going to dig everything. So I take out my Garrett edge digger, which is what I use at the beach. My old Garrett didn't go real deep in the sand so I would usually stick the edge digger in and lift the sand out. 9.5 times out of 10, that was usually enough to retrieve whatever was beneath.

Not this time. I dug a huge hole and kept looking and looking. Pinpointer seemed to be going off at nothing...a small rock it looked like. Around 9 to 10" deep. Rock felt smooth and metallic, so I eventually put 2 and 2 together and realized it was metal. My Garrett ACE never found anything that tiny. It was dark, so I figured it was either a clumped up piece of foil or a tiny earring.

When I get home and wash off my finds (a bunch of pennies and a dime, along with tons of pull tabs and ring tabs), it turns out it wasn't foil, but a silvery looking clump of metal. I stared at it for a minute or two and then it dawned on me: could this be a dental filling?! :laughing: It looks tooth-shaped. I looked through old forum threads and others have dug fillings before, so it's not unheard of.

What an utterly bizarre find, and as my very first target no less! :lol:

Here are the pics:

filling1.jpg

filling2.jpg

What do you think?

That does look like a filling to me!

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

The smoothed out top of it doesn't look like any filling I've ever found. Sorry appears to be junk. You gotta test it to be sure. GL

Meh, my first gold was technically a filling with tooth still attached, was gold crown with algum filling and tooth. I threw it back for good juju. I think the spirits payed me back.

Not a filling in my book; too smooth. Ya really need to get a sand scoop for the beach - you'll be spending too much time recovering targets and that takes away time from hunting and discovery. My NOX 800 w 15" coil picks-up objects 12-15" all the time and it takes time to recover them even with a large (9.5" T-Rex) scoop. My philosophy on the beach is to minimize scan time of an object, dig as fast as possible and keep moving. The more you dig the more you will find. A sand scoop will pay for itself in short order. Happy hunting

I believe this is dental gold.

Attachments

• 43B163A9-26FE-4392-B378-84BB0F7B472E.jpeg
    43B163A9-26FE-4392-B378-84BB0F7B472E.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 216
  • A8DA3F45-54B1-4B89-AD80-68B7F1512795.jpeg
    A8DA3F45-54B1-4B89-AD80-68B7F1512795.jpeg
    26.4 KB · Views: 196
Back
Top Bottom