1C Flying Eagle 1858

Rawkfist

Pulled this out the other day from an old farm field. I was pleasantly surprised to see it in such good shape since a lot of my old coins from this field have been really rough. It still has some dirt but that would come off with some mild cleaning but im not sure I should clean it. Any thoughts? If so how should I clean it?

Attachments

• IMG-2820.jpg
    IMG-2820.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG-2821.jpg
    IMG-2821.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG-2822.jpg
    IMG-2822.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG-2818.jpg
    IMG-2818.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 422
Maybe mild soap &water, I personally wouldnt clean it, its a rare coin you dont want to take a chance on ruining it. Someone else will have another opinion. Big congrats on that find. :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Awesome coin. The front actually looks about 95% cleaned to me, and the back just needs a little extra work. A blunt toothpick/wooden skewer. Leave some of the dirt in edges to enhance detail.

Not a good ideal cleaning with mild soap. Just soak it in pure olive oil and checing every three days,just shake it each week. After this so people like to boil for just when the oil bubbles then wipe clean with a white cloth cotton . [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Awesome find!!! Don’t clean it anymore is my vote!!! I will attempt to cut backflips if I ever find one. That is way up on my bucket list!!! Huge congrats again!

Awesome find, my opinion. DO NOT CLEAN WITH ANYTHING !!! just use a toothpick to getmost of the dirt off. Soap and water will clean ALL the dirt off, and honestly it's that little bit of dirt showing detail. Oil of any kind will darken the coin and make it almost impossible to see easily. Again that's a awesome coin and still on my bucket list.

That's a nice looking coin. Maybe a tooth brush but I would not use any liquid on it just my opinion.

Flying eagle cents were only minted in Philly and as far as I know none had a P mint mark

I took another close up, check it out. P or no? I don't want to touch the coin so I cant take any of the dirt off to have a closer look but that looks like a P to me.

Attachments

• IMG-2826 (1).jpg
    IMG-2826 (1).jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 305
:wow2: That's an excellent coin with some nice detail! Personally, I prefer to use water and sometimes a tooth pick, but as previously stated, the dirt can actually add definition to the coin (thus in removing it, you may be removing detail). So leaving it be, like you mentioned in your last post, makes perfect sense to me! Nice job uncovering that fantastic find! :woot:

Back
Top Bottom