Just getting started buying gear.

Diabolik

Elite Member
Like any new hobby it only took me two short outings to realize there are a few essential items I needed. Today I got my new digger and coin probes in. This feels like it will be a lot more friendly on my hands and it is a bit more sturdy than the cheap garden shovel I was using. I’d like to get a tether cord for the probe to attach it to my belt. Curious if anyone here uses a tether for any of your gear or thoughts on doing so? Thanks!

Attachments

• B4D60AA1-8375-47DB-9D99-41465A124119.jpg
    B4D60AA1-8375-47DB-9D99-41465A124119.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 568
Last edited:
A tether on the pinpointer is a good idea. I have one of the brass coin probes. Great tool. Good luck!

Thanks. Yes, keeping track of the pinpointer was a bit of a challenge too. The one that came with my detector is pretty cheap and does not currently have a place to attach to it. I am sure I can figure something out as it is all plastic.

I made my lanyards with paracord. I have one on my pinpointer and on my spade. It was an interesting project learning to braid it too.
6d95360efcdfc2f6e9e59eca5a9a746d.jpg

Cliff

I have never used a tether on anything. Yes I left my green Garrett coin probe sticking in the dirt a while back But I also lost one in my house and can not for the life of find it.
I take the minimal with me when I detect. Any thing else stays in the car.

This is the tether I used for my pin pointer. It has a magnet to snap it back to your belt.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GIOP9IY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the link. I like those a lot. I think I’ll pick one up to try out.

I made my lanyards with paracord. I have one on my pinpointer and on my spade. It was an interesting project learning to braid it too.
6d95360efcdfc2f6e9e59eca5a9a746d.jpg

Cliff

Cliff, these are awesome and look great. Now way you are going to break 3-4 braid of paracord. I see you have release clips on the ends too. Very nice.

I have never used a tether on anything. Yes I left my green Garrett coin probe sticking in the dirt a while back But I also lost one in my house and can not for the life of find it.
I take the minimal with me when I detect. Any thing else stays in the car.

Thanks, I am not as worried about the pin pointer as I am losing the probe. Already have a terrible habit of setting things down. Right now I am using a Husky tool belt. Plenty of room for my pointer, a probe, and my digging tool/holster. Right now I am not thinking I need much more in the way of tools. I am trying to keep a simple setup. I am going to keep a bag in the car with my extra probe, batteries, etc. I also ordered a few small golf towels with grommets and clips on them so I can hang one on my belt to have it handy. The last thing I need to get are some gloves but I have only just started looking for a set. I was hoping to find something with decent leather palms as after an afternoon of digging in my yard my cheapie shovel was doing a number on my hand......:roll: The new one has a much better handle.

The clips I used are just small snap hooks. I put one on each end of the ones for my pointers since they have a ring to hook them to. I made them long enough so they can be used without disconnecting but can be if needed. They work really well.

Cliff

So a few small updates. I had a chance to try out the White's digging tool. I really like it a lot. It cuts through the sod with very little effort. It feels very sturdy while digging and the cushioned handle is great. You can dig down 4-6 inches very easily in a small hole. I have realized that getting said dirt out of the hole is a little tougher due to the narrower blade so I will keep my cheap garden shovel around just for that purpose.

EmuDetector, I got my lanyard today from Amazon and I really like it. I was going to use it for my coin probe, but have now decided to use for the Garrett Pro Pointer AT I ordered this morning from Bart (who in turn shipped it immediately!). It has become very apparent that the free one Bounty Hunter included is worthless unless you want to use it to find an object in your hand.

I also picked up a set of Garrett lightweight headphones. They are fine for my needs and easy to stow away in my bag.

My last acquisition was a pack of golf towels with grommets and clips on them. Something to attach to my belt.

Really the last thing I need now is a decent pair of gloves. I haven't had a chance to look yet on any of my limited outings, but I am sure I will find something. Right now I am just hoping for a little better weather so I can get back out.

EmuDetector, I got my lanyard today from Amazon and I really like it. I was going to use it for my coin probe, but have now decided to use for the Garrett Pro Pointer AT I ordered this morning from Bart (who in turn shipped it immediately!). It has become very apparent that the free one Bounty Hunter included is worthless unless you want to use it to find an object in your hand

Good to hear, every once in a while it might pick up the magnet while you're using it. I found if you just make sure to cup the little magnet in your hand in kind of an up position, you never have an issue. I do it so often I never even think about it anymore.

I just got my Garrett Pro-Pointer AT this morning. First of all, I bought it from Bart at Big Boys. My first purchase from him and truly a great experience. I think I got a shipping notification from him like 20 minutes after I placed my order. It was initially showing an ETA of Monday but showed up today. I read the instructions and tried it out on a few things here. I am amazed. It's going to feel like I have super powers the next time out. Ironically this cost more than my current detector, but I am confident this will be a game changer. Looking forward to getting back out at some point this weekend!

I just got my Garrett Pro-Pointer AT this morning. First of all, I bought it from Bart at Big Boys. My first purchase from him and truly a great experience. I think I got a shipping notification from him like 20 minutes after I placed my order. It was initially showing an ETA of Monday but showed up today. I read the instructions and tried it out on a few things here. I am amazed. It's going to feel like I have super powers the next time out. Ironically this cost more than my current detector, but I am confident this will be a game changer. Looking forward to getting back out at some point this weekend!
Bart has always done right by me. When you decide it is time to upgrade your detector give him a call. He'll help you decide what to get and give you a good price on it as well.

Cliff

Thanks for the link. I like those a lot. I think I’ll pick one up to try out.

Cliff, these are awesome and look great. Now way you are going to break 3-4 braid of paracord. I see you have release clips on the ends too. Very nice.

Thanks, I am not as worried about the pin pointer as I am losing the probe. Already have a terrible habit of setting things down. Right now I am using a Husky tool belt. Plenty of room for my pointer, a probe, and my digging tool/holster. Right now I am not thinking I need much more in the way of tools. I am trying to keep a simple setup. I am going to keep a bag in the car with my extra probe, batteries, etc. I also ordered a few small golf towels with grommets and clips on them so I can hang one on my belt to have it handy. The last thing I need to get are some gloves but I have only just started looking for a set. I was hoping to find something with decent leather palms as after an afternoon of digging in my yard my cheapie shovel was doing a number on my hand......:roll: The new one has a much better handle.

probes are not expensive, pinpointers are. My pinpointer is on a coiled plastic lanyard. I also just keep my pinpointer in my right hand jeans pocket. Got tired of having to strap on the pinpointer holster on my belt. One time on my last hole in a area I move about a half a mile to a new location only to find my sunglasses and pinpointer missing. So a half mile trek back up hill do recover both lost items.

Other thoughts

Yes, starting to amass a detecting arsenal takes some time and can be expensive. Generally, the advice of experienced members of the forum is invaluable! It seems I can always find something to learn.

As far as gloves go, I'd suggest the nitrite covered finger models available at most hardware or box stores. They are cheap, lightweight, are capable of being wet and muddy, and offer a small level of protection against nasty stuff in the ground. Leather gloves are way too cumbersome IMHO to operate a detector or use equipment. Not much worth in having to take the darn things off when recovering a target.

An inexpensive toothbrush (or a used one) is handy to gently brush finds also. I cut the handle to just an inch or two and keep it in my finds pouch.

Good to hear, every once in a while it might pick up the magnet while you're using it. I found if you just make sure to cup the little magnet in your hand in kind of an up position, you never have an issue. I do it so often I never even think about it anymore.

The mfg of those lanyards reached out to me after I left my review on Amazon. I told them that another MD’er had recommended their product to me. They were surprised when they saw what it was being used for and asked for a picture. Might see something like that in the future aimed at this community? I love the lanyard. I never take the pinpointer off it until I am home and cleaning it up.

probes are not expensive, pinpointers are. My pinpointer is on a coiled plastic lanyard. I also just keep my pinpointer in my right hand jeans pocket. Got tired of having to strap on the pinpointer holster on my belt. One time on my last hole in a area I move about a half a mile to a new location only to find my sunglasses and pinpointer missing. So a half mile trek back up hill do recover both lost items.

first day I hunted my local park I lost a coin probe. went back the next day and luckily found it. Not an expensive item but it was new.

Yes, starting to amass a detecting arsenal takes some time and can be expensive. Generally, the advice of experienced members of the forum is invaluable! It seems I can always find something to learn.

As far as gloves go, I'd suggest the nitrite covered finger models available at most hardware or box stores. They are cheap, lightweight, are capable of being wet and muddy, and offer a small level of protection against nasty stuff in the ground. Leather gloves are way too cumbersome IMHO to operate a detector or use equipment. Not much worth in having to take the darn things off when recovering a target.

An inexpensive toothbrush (or a used one) is handy to gently brush finds also. I cut the handle to just an inch or two and keep it in my finds pouch.

I was doing a little creek hunting yesterday and at one point it was digging rocks blindly out of a hole under water. Was just waiting to snag my hands on something. I need to get some gloves. Will see what Lowe’s has when I am there tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom