Fugio Cent

I'm thinking somewhere in the hundreds. Went to a coin shop today. They said it was worth $50. LOL. Anyways should it be graded by PCGS or no? People say it will come back as Environmentally Damaged and won't be worth it.

Since it is not a common coin I don't think the local coin store may truly know its value. Of course they would pay $50 to sell it at $150...

I guess $200+

There are many for sale so browsing these and looking at the photos can give you a general idea of value.

If it is rare variation then value will be higher.
But it does have wear and corrosion will lowers the value.

Even if Graded with "Environmentally Damaged" it can still be worth it for a Grade and if a Varition can be ID'ed.
A more common coin like 1800 or 1900's would not be worth having graded it dug unless it was a very rare date/mint.
Search and read this forum on grading.. It has been discussed.

They were only minted one year I believe (1787). A total of 400,000 were made. Designed by Ben Franklin. A very nice colonial era coin indeed!

Great finds. Coins like that aren't even a possibility here in the Pac NW. Congratulations! No point in spending the money on a grading submission. Definitely a non-gradable due to environmental damage (personal experience speaking here).

They were only minted one year I believe (1787). A total of 400,000 were made. Designed by Ben Franklin. A very nice colonial era coin indeed!

Correct except it was Post colonial and the first coin authorized by congress.

It is called a one CENT but the concept of Dollars and Cents was Not Invented until 1792.
Like the State issued coins the Fugio was equivalent to a British Half Penny which was the standard of the day along with the Spanish 8 Reale.

It was the 8 Reale's value that the US Dollar was based.

I’d say $ 50 is about right. That’s why I wouldn’t pay a cent to have it graded. Unless rare coins with ground action are not desired by coin collectors.

Back
Top Bottom