thats not silver its VERY old gold.

HannibalNectar

Elite Member
I finally had time to get a ring I found earlier this year, looked at by a jeweler. When I dug it, I assumed it was silver because it had a whitish chalky coating on it and splotches of black tarnish. Just like the seated coins I found nearby it. The ring is not marked but has an engraving inside. (which I can't make out)
I knew this ring was old due to the patina And the fact that it was with seated coins in a corn field. Along with many other incredible finds.
You can see in the first picture of the 1844 HALF DIME the white stuff. The coin is wet in the pic but you can see as it dries the whole thing is white.

So I wanted some info on the stone And went to a antique jewelry store. The woman listened to my story while doing several acid tests. I said" I Know its silver im just wondering about the stone"
With that she said this is 18kt gold. Something in the soil has caused it to turn white and chalky colored. Sure enough you can see perfect yellow gold where she acid tested it.
I should have atleast considered it to be gold by the low number it rang up as but my eyes were convinced it was silver.
I almost thought it looks like it was scorched in a fire just a bit. I did find two silver coins completely burned up in the same field(barber half 1902&UNKNOWN silver quarter)
She said it dates from 1840-1880's. Based by it's style and lack of hallmark. And is from before the use of white gold! Weird right? Also because the backside of the stone is left natural which is another sign of age. Our conversation wondered in a different direction and I was so excited about it, I left with out any more info on the stone. So I still have no idea if its a natural RUBY OR GARNET.

Another question im thinking about is, what could make the gold turn white? A chemical/element in the soil? plus possible fire? I see it alot in silver coins coming from old farm fields. They get a weird white coating. And ive always assumed it was from chemicals used in the dirt.
Maybe what ever element makes white gold WHITE, was in the soil. Naturally or added by farmers. And that reacted with the gold and turned the outside white?either a chemical reaction or by fire.? Is that possible?
Could it accidentally been turned into white gold on the outside before white gold was even Invented or used?
I HAVE NEVER SEEN GOLD COME UP LIKE THIS SO IM AT A LOSS. AND THE FACT THAT ITS 18K MAKES IT MORE UNLIKELY TO BE JUST CORROSION.

I WANT TO REITERATE THAT THE METAL HAS TURNED SILVER/WHITE IN COLOR AND HAS A CHALKY PATINA. THE METAL DOESN'T JUST HAVE WHITE ON IT; IT IT WHITE. Its very strange. I CAN WIPE THE CHALKYNESS AWAY BUT IT JUST LOOKS LIKE WHITE GOLD OR SILVER. IF I SCRATCH IT, ITS 18K YELLOW UNDER THERE

I THINK IM GOING TO HAVE IT PROFESSIONALLY RESTORED. UNLESS ITS DETERMINED TO BE THE WORLDS FIRST PIECE OF WHITE GOLD. HA HA.

IMAGINE IF THIS WAS IN THE FIRE OF 1893. ON SOMEONE'S FINGER? THIS WAS IN THE FIELD WHERE THE MENTAL ASYLUM BURNED DOWN. !!!!!!! HOLY $!@/
heres the link to the other finds
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=261514
I WILL POST SOME BETTER PICTURES LATER TODAY.

Attachments

• 20180528_175330-1.jpg
    20180528_175330-1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 611
  • 20180528_173956.jpg
    20180528_173956.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 588
  • 20180528_191655.jpg
    20180528_191655.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 594
  • 20180528_174807.jpg
    20180528_174807.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 587
  • 20180603_130001.jpg
    20180603_130001.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 584
  • attachment.jpeg
    attachment.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 559
  • attachment-1.jpeg
    attachment-1.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 563
Last edited:
Really nice finds, definitely looks silver, I agree. Not sure what would cause that chalky white substance, possibly pulverized lime and manure? Congrats on the REALLY old gold, and 18K to boot!

I wouldn't do more than a good toothbrush cleaning. You don't see gold with patina everyday. Coming from a corn field I'd blame anhydrous ammonia. If it wasn't reacting with the gold it could be reacting with who knows what alloys were used. From the MSDS

. Anhydrous ammonia reacts to form explosive products, mixtures or compounds with mercury, gold, silver, iodine, bromine, silver oxide and silver chloride.

Ring is awesome, but love the Trime, on my bucket list.

Not a trime. Its a half dime. I did find a two trimes in this field though...a silver one and clad one.
Unfortunately the silver one was in a wet area. So its black.

Attachments

• photo-20180609080424.jpg
    photo-20180609080424.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 532
  • photo-20151021030537.jpg
    photo-20151021030537.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 527
  • photo-20151021030320.jpg
    photo-20151021030320.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 524
  • photo-20151021030304.jpg
    photo-20151021030304.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 526
Very cool finds Hannibal! Nice job! You remember the SLQ right? Maybe I should say “I’m still looking for a half dime and a trime” Ha lol :laughing:

Wow!! That ring is bad a$$!! I would definitely have it restored!! Congrats on a killer day!!

That's some cornfield you got there! Such a cool ring too! Being so old, and 18K gold, with a natural cut stone, and of generally good looking quality, I would really want to see it shine again. Maybe send it to Meggie in Australia. You'll get it back looking like it's been preserved in a museum! :D
As far as keeping the unusual patina; maybe just a good batch of "before" pictures.

"I assumed it was silver because it had a whitish chalky coating on it and splotches of black tarnish. I should have atleast considered it to be gold by the low number it rang up as but my eyes were convinced it was silver.."

Love the whole post HN! Your observations about your find jumped out at me...

Ears are way more accurate than eyes! Your ears say, "gold" but your eyes say "silver"? Who you gonna trust! In our Sport, an 'Audio Primary' endeavor, a guy learns to trust their ears...In fact, this truth holds value in a lot of Lifes other situations.....

I will say, to the casual flippant observer, My Ancient Wife has a "whitish chalky coating with black splotches"....But Yeah...solid 24k...if a guy listens...

That's some cornfield you got there! Such a cool ring too! Being so old, and 18K gold, with a natural cut stone, and of generally good looking quality, I would really want to see it shine again. Maybe send it to Meggie in Australia. You'll get it back looking like it's been preserved in a museum! :D
As far as keeping the unusual patina; maybe just a good batch of "before" pictures.

Im leaning towards this ring being in the 1893 fire that burned down a mental ASYLUM. Killing 20-40 people. http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=261514 If this is the case I don't know if I should restore it. I need to find out if it has definitely been in a fire.

If I do restore it. I got a guy. Check these two rings out he fixed for me
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=219153

Never found gold that came out like that and Ive found it in some pretty nasty fertilized farm fields. Not sure whats going on there but anythings possible I guess. I really like that 3 cent nickel as its at the top of my bucketlist believe it or not

Back
Top Bottom