Need Metal Detector Help To Find Wedding Ring

tunesmith

Ok.

First of all, if anyone can help me, I will be extremely grateful. I have never picked up a metal detector in my life.

Today, my wife and I took our daughter to Frazier Park, CA, because she had never seen real snow. As we were about to leave, I took one final ride down the saucer, stood up, and my wedding ring fell off.

We searched the entire area for over an hour, but couldn't find it, as snow was falling and the underbrush was dense. I believe my arm was swinging when the ring came off, so I can't be exactly sure. We observed that the road was beginning to freeze over, and as we were not prepared for a serious snow trip, we decided with heavy hearts that it was time to leave.

As I was getting really depressed, I thought to myself... metal detector!

I have a few questions I need to as you experts:

1. Will a platinum wedding ring set a good detector off? I realize this is most likely a stupid question, but I need to ask anyways.

2. Does snow in any way inhibit the process? Do I have to wait until spring to get back up there?

3. Does anyone rent metal detectors of decent quality in the Los Angeles area?

4. Which models should I be looking at for this specific purpose?

We made a record of exactly where we were, as it was simply a clearing off of the highway. We think there's a good chance that very few people would ever be in that particular area.

This ring is, obviously, important to me. My wife of nearly seven years saved her tips through our senior year of college to buy it for me, and although we can now afford to buy a new one without a big deal, this one is special.

I sincerely appreciate any advice given. Thanks.

tunesmith

Sorry to hear about your loss....

I think its going to be hard finding it in the snow and you might want to leave it until spring or at least until snow melts some... Platinum will ring up as foil on a detector it has similar VDI's...

I would suggest asking a Metal Detecting Club out there to help you out... Offer a reward of some kind.. More people swinging will increase your chances of recovery... You can always rent a machine like you said as well.

Yes, very sorry for the loss of the ring. Been there done that. I agree with Craig. Try and find a local club that may be able to help you out. When you start flogging your arms around, the ring could be just about anywhere, and the more coils to the soil, the better chance of recovery. :yes:

Thanks for the responses. I think contacting a local who knows what they are doing is a great idea. Anyone know of how to contact one in L.A.?

I'll try google.

Thanks again.

I don't have much info to offer you that has not already been stated, except that my wedding ring is platnim and it rings through in the nickel(5 cent) range, not foil.

Tunesmith, If you spend a little time on the web, there are sites which list metal detecting clubs all over the country by state. I am at a loss as to where I ran across them right now, but it shouldn't take much to find. Start with dealers, they sell to the clubs and members. I hope you find it, I would feel devastated in your shoes.

Bill

paluch545 said:
I don't have much info to offer you that has not already been stated, except that my wedding ring is platnim and it rings through in the nickel(5 cent) range, not foil.

VDI's for platinum fall in the foil range between +0 and +8...

Back
Top Bottom