• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Firsts for me from the cellar holes

BaldAssCat

Elite Member
Back at the cellar holes, or at least the yards near where the houses used to be. I did find an actual foundation but my batteries died just when I got there and I left the spares in the truck about 1/2 a mile out and it was late so I left and didn't get back to that spot yet.

The spot I have been hitting is the third site I found in the area and is a lot more accessible than the others but will be a wild grass field soon so I'm hitting it before that happens and I'll get to the others when I can't get this one anymore. With a few exceptions nothing here rings up as expected so I dig everything.

Among the digs are harmonicas reeds, bits of 2 watches, 2 pretty cool horseshoes, some horse tack bits and other farming goods to pin to my chicken coop, the top lid of a makeup compact from ~1900, lots of can lids, lead pipe and early copper electric bits.

So far among my favorites are the watch back that I've posted before, the 1865 2 cent piece, the 1861 merc, the WW1'ish eagle button and the unidentified flowery button. I also have the 3 IHPs that all came up as foil bouncing between 60 and 75, 8 wheat, the sash buckle I've posted before, and a musket ball.

WIN_20180520_12_17_55_Pro (2).jpg

WIN_20180520_12_26_01_Pro (2).jpg

WIN_20180520_12_26_47_Pro (2).jpg

WIN_20180520_12_31_01_Pro (2).jpg

The goods below are from a park I hunt at lunch. It's mostly clad and can-slaw but my wife likes the flower pin and the clad count is pretty high so it keeps me interested.

WIN_20180520_12_33_29_Pro (2).jpg

Thanks for looking.

What a great assortment of goodies.
I am surprised those injuns rang up so low on your AT PRO.
They are normally 73-77:yes:

Excellent finds, Bald!

Got some of my bucket list targets here too! :yes:

How old might this site be?

I'm into using Historic Map Works and I love it.

Matt, can't say if it's New England thing, but some Indians have been coming up in the high 60's for me. Got a Fatty earlier this year that was a solid 62. Thought it was going to be a shotgun head stamp.

Got an Indian Head from the later 1860's yesterday that was a flip flopping 68 to 70. Was convinced it was a going to be another piece of lead shot. Hunted a place last year where the Indians were coming in at a solid 62 and these were from he turn of the century too.

Chunks of coal are another pain in the bottom too.

Looks like a 1861 seated to me not a merc. Nice finds 👍🏻

Thanks! On this spot there's no telling what's coming up.I have to take back what I said a month or two ago about never finding anything good that rang up on 99 because the army button hit that like it was a rusty bottle cap. Like Dave said IHPs are all over the scale for me here.

Excellent finds, Bald!

Got some of my bucket list targets here too! :yes:

How old might this site be?

I'm into using Historic Map Works and I love it.

Matt, can't say if it's New England thing, but some Indians have been coming up in the high 60's for me. Got a Fatty earlier this year that was a solid 62. Thought it was going to be a shotgun head stamp.

Got an Indian Head from the later 1860's yesterday that was a flip flopping 68 to 70. Was convinced it was a going to be another piece of lead shot. Hunted a place last year where the Indians were coming in at a solid 62 and these were from he turn of the century too.

Chunks of coal are another pain in the bottom too.

Thanks! The 2 cent, merc and horseshoes are firsts for me.

I haven't used Historic Map Works yet but I heard of the spot form friends and found it on historicalmaps.arcgis.com/usgs/ . It only goes back to 1890 but has been pretty good to me. The houses aren't exactly where the map says and I credit my luck to that, along with how much of a pain it is to get to them.

I know from my friend and an old timer I talked to that the houses were cleared in the 20s or 30s. My earliest find near there was an 1841 large cent. There were a few mills in the area before that though and a factory was put in and taken out on top of another cellar hole that's on private property now. I've seen the factory on an old map but never the house.

You hit a honey hole! That looks it could be a lot of fun. Another thing that I need to try. Big Congrats!

beephead

Back
Top Bottom