• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Deputy Sheriff badge/T.S. Hatfield

badcop25601

Did a little searching on a hillside behind my house today. After digging about 50 nail and pulltab graves, I found this badge about 4" deep. Some research on T.S.Hatfield says that he served as deputy of Logan County during the 20's under the infamous Sheriff Don Chafin (Battle of Blair Mountain). Later, Hatfield became Sheriff of Logan County. T.S. (Tennis or Tennyson) was a son of Anse Hatfield. Not sure of the origin of the badge or how it came to be on a hillside. :?:

Attachments

• HATFIELD BADGE.jpg
    HATFIELD BADGE.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 606
  • HATFIELD BADGE REAR.jpg
    HATFIELD BADGE REAR.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 590
Wow! That's a super cool find, I don't think I've ever seen a relic relating to the Hatfield's or Mcoy's posted here.
Sure is a very cool piece of American history, Big Congrats on finding it!

That's too cool! Does that actually mean it was his badge? If so, the Hatfield name is so infamous, that's gotta be a very unique item, even worth a bit I would say...... Big Congrats!

Did a little searching on a hillside behind my house today. After digging about 50 nail and pulltab graves, I found this badge about 4" deep. Some research on T.S.Hatfield says that he served as deputy of Logan County during the 20's under the infamous Sheriff Don Chafin (Battle of Blair Mountain). Later, Hatfield became Sheriff of Logan County. T.S. (Tennis or Tennyson) was a son of Anse Hatfield. Not sure of the origin of the badge or how it came to be on a hillside. :?:

https://www.biography.com/people/devil-anse-hatfield-20824939

Dang... Yep, you've got yourself a serious piece of Americana there. That's amazing!

WOW ! What a find, just an incredible save on a piece of well known history. Is it sterling ? I think you have a once in a lifetime find there. Congrats. HH Mark

Thanks for all of the positive comments. I mainly detect for the therapeutic value lol. Found a 1921 trade token from a small community in Boone County, a coal miner tag a really old solid iron forged bowie knife and a 1921 Gillette razor (top of mountain) in the same area. Makes digging all of those graves seem worthwhile. Have a blessed day and good luck.

Last edited:
That is seriously cool. Just finding any badge would be great but one like this... wow.

That's awesome. You might want to contact the Hatfield McCoy museum and see if they're interested in it....either to sell or to donate.

Congratulations on an Outstanding find. Lots of history of a couple of clans. Really neat that you can show the relationship to Devil Anse.

I am sure that there a lot of Hatfield's that would love to have that badge. Heck some of us McCoy's might also like to have it.

Back
Top Bottom