• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Digging gloves for hard terrain

Logo1924

I'm sure there have been plenty of these threads already, but I have a specific issue. When I dig in hard dirt and have to put pressure on my digging tool, I apparently push down on the top of my garden knife with the palm of my hand. Needless to say, the palm of my hand is raw from 3 days in a row at the park. Does anyone else have this issue? What gloves do you use? My hori hori knife is amazing, but I'm thinking about getting one of those miniature shovels for deeper targets, to save my palms the trouble.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

When I first started detecting, I had the same problem. I ended up padding the handle of my digger with leather, wrapping electrical tape around that and then covering it with liquid rubber. It really helped and I used that for years until I finally retired it. As you can see from the picture it has seen a lot of use. Now I use heavier gloves and don't have that problem as much. For deeper items I use my 18" Sampson
3-in-1.jpg

When I first started detecting, I had the same problem. I ended up padding the handle of my digger with leather, wrapping electrical tape around that and then covering it with liquid rubber. It really helped and I used that for years until I finally retired it. As you can see from the picture it has seen a lot of use. Now I use heavier gloves and don't have that problem as much. For deeper items I use my 18" Sampson

Now that is quite the idea! I just found something called plasti dip, do you think that would work?

Also I looked up the Sampson shovel. It appears to not be sold anywhere other than eBay nowadays. I will probably wait to buy a $60+ shovel lol I've already sunk too much money into this hobby for now :crying:

Back
Top Bottom