NJ Copper! Circa 1786-1788

Lightning88

NJ Copper! This is the first coin in history to say "E Pluribus Unum" on it and it predates the U.S. Mint! It also says "Nova Caesarea" (New Caesar) on it, which is the original name for New Jersey!

Found this really close to the surface, about 4 inches down or so. Couldn't believe it after I found out what it was! Has full round planchet, no dings at all.
The photos are a bit misleading. It doesn't look very green at all. I'll have to take more photos.

Not sure which variety or year but can clearly see the shield on one side and the horse on the other side. Diameter is about 1 1/8 inches. Any idea which variety it is? The "s" in Pluribus appears above the midpoint of the shield, if that helps.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7UNxxiPjPfqdDVTG2

Way cool. Where did you go to find something like this?

NJ. :D But seriously, it was a NJ issued coin, minted in archaic fashion (well it was the 1700s after all) , resulting in well over 100 known varieties. It has a lot of history, and one of the most highly sought after coins among elite (rich) coin collectors since the 1800s. Rare varieties have sold at auction for six figures! Of course, the more common varieties are considerably less than that. I still haven't been able to id the year/variety, but the size and positioning of the letters narrow it down somewhat. Or it could be an unknown variety. Would be nice to find out.

Found this in a field that used to be a farm but is now a park. I'm kind of surprised it has such good weight still, not completely damaged and thinned like most old copper coins would be after so long in the ground. There may have been an old demolished house in the area. I found some other items that seemed to indicate a house used to be there, some nobs and handles that look fairly old, maybe turn of the century 1900 type stuff, if not 1800s. Also found an old 1920s Dodge Brothers hub cap in the area. I'll probably post that in a separate thread.

sweet.

Ain't gonna find anything like that here in the Hoosierland!

Yes, very sweet. But you guys in Hoosierland have tons of silver though don't you? That's what it seems like from watching videos on youtube. Also saw a lot of videos from Ohio with silver and rings.

I'm usually hunting trashy fields and I get a lot of nails and falsing so I'm probably passing on some deep faint signals that might be silver, but mostly I'm getting farm related stuff. Though the square nails are cool.

Don't know how I'm going to top the NJ copper though!

Back
Top Bottom