Could this be from the Civil War?

SmirkAtTheMerc

Elite Member
Hello guys, I found this cool piece of a spur, it looks like some I’ve seen in Civil War pictures. Could it be from the Civil War, or is it just from the same era?
I found a confederate infantry button at the same site.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 599
It definitely could be, but that doesn't mean it was. You need to let the other finds help you establish the possible age. It does look somewhat like a standard union spur.

It definitely could be, but that doesn't mean it was. You need to let the other finds help you establish the possible age. It does look somewhat like a standard union spur.

Thanks, most finds from this area are from the early 1900s.

Can someone post a picture of a complete one? I dug one just like it last year and thought just some broken horse tack from early 1900's.

I found several pics online and they all indicate Civil War or Civil War era. Anything later seem to have different configurations.

Haven't seen or dug any Union spurs that looks like this one. Actually looks more Confederate to me with the flatness of the outer surface, but if you zoom a little and notice the bevel on the inner surface, has me leaning it civilian or slightly post war.

A few pics of spurs like that noted them as Confederate. So guess it could be.

Thanks everyone, I also found this stirrup in the same area, and a Confederate London Infantry Button.

Attachments

• IMG_20210129_222245.jpg
    IMG_20210129_222245.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 248
Back
Top Bottom