• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

ID Possible Large Cent

Relic_Finder

I recently found something in a baseball field that I think may be a large cent. It weighs roughly 12g and measures 28mm, but toasted badly on both sides. It rings up about 24-26 on a nox. The coin is larger than a quarter, but smaller than a half-dollar. I tried to cast a shadow with light in hopes to bring out what little detail there is to make out.

Hopefully, someone can help ID what it is. I apologize if the photo quality is not that great, I did the best with what I had lol. Thank you for the help.

Attachments

• Image I.jpg
    Image I.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 404
  • Image II.jpg
    Image II.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 381
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 385
  • Comparsion.jpg
    Comparsion.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 379
Hi Relic_Finder,

Can't make out much detail from your photo. Try holding a flashlight so the beam is nearly parallel to the surface of the coin -- and try from multiple directions around the coin. That way, any minute relief details may show up...

Hope you can get better detail and ID your find!

Happy New Year!
--Bert

Attachments

• CoinShadow.jpg
    CoinShadow.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 393
Ok, I tried from a few different angles as suggested with lighting. I could not identify much of anything, but I am not very good at this type of thing. I do think I see a "P" at the bottom portion of the coin, I underlined it. Unless my eyes are just seeing things. I attached three more images: one close underline, one farther away, and one black/white.

Hopefully the images are slightly better than the last few. If not, I will see about using my girlfriend's camera for future pictures. I also do not even know if the coin is rotated correctly. Thank you all again for your help.

Attachments

• marked.jpg
    marked.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 283
  • far.jpg
    far.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 283
  • bw1.jpg
    bw1.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 288
I’m going with a coin. Probably US. But that’s it. Sometimes you just never know for sure. I’ve dug a coin like this before. No details but definitely a copper.

I appreciate your help, thank you. If it is a large cent, it would be my first. Too bad on the detail, but I was not suspecting it where I was hunting.

Definitely looks right to be your first large cent. Definitely US if it’s beeping that high. The British coppers I find beep in the lower range. If I had to guess I think it’s probably a draped bust and where the P is you’re seeing is actually where the date is. You could try lightly toothpicking it to possibly bring out some more detail, you can’t ruin it. Congratulations on the find

I recently found something in a baseball field that I think may be a large cent. It weighs roughly 12g and measures 28mm, but toasted badly on both sides. It rings up about 24-26 on a nox. The coin is larger than a quarter, but smaller than a half-dollar. I tried to cast a shadow with light in hopes to bring out what little detail there is to make out.

Hopefully, someone can help ID what it is. I apologize if the photo quality is not that great, I did the best with what I had lol. Thank you for the help.

That size is real close to a KG half penny. Doesn't speak large cent to me but who knows?

Back
Top Bottom