Help With This Letter B Thingy

Jamflicker

Elite Member
Hey everyone,
Found this in an old lot and have no idea what it is from. My guesses were old typewriter, cash register, or maybe an old tool like a saw medallion or something. There are no threads inside of it. Please help and let me know if you know what it is.
Jason

Attachments

• IMG_7466.jpg
    IMG_7466.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_7467.jpg
    IMG_7467.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_7468.jpg
    IMG_7468.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 338
My immediate, (and probably wrong) guess is that it's a wax seal stamp, minus the handle. If it is I'm pretty sure it would actually be a stamp for a capital R, not B, due to how the pattern would be flipped when pressing the stamp into wax.

My immediate, (and probably wrong) guess is that it's a wax seal stamp, minus the handle. If it is I'm pretty sure it would actually be a stamp for a capital R, not B, due to how the pattern would be flipped when pressing the stamp into wax.
Hmmm, maybe it is an R.
I was thinking saw medallion, cool relic!
Yeah, it's small than the saw medaliions I have found though but maybe a smaller saw haha.

I think this is the answer.

I agree. Definitely looks like an R to me. I suggest trying to use it as a stamp. Could probably Even use a crayon for the wax and a lighter to do a quick and easy test

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yes maybe, but never seen a wax seal with the handle that can be removed.

I believe I have an explanation for that as well. From the pictures I've seen online, many wax seal/stamps have wooden handles, which obviously could have been lost, broken or simply rotted away in the ground. And assuming the handle was made of wood, those two grooves on the narrower part of your object, seem to me to be ideal for accepting glue, allowing the wooden handle to attach to the metal part without any screws/nails/whatever else.

I believe I have an explanation for that as well. From the pictures I've seen online, many wax seal/stamps have wooden handles, which obviously could have been lost, broken or simply rotted away in the ground. And assuming the handle was made of wood, those two grooves on the narrower part of your object, seem to me to be ideal for accepting glue, allowing the wooden handle to attach to the metal part without any screws/nails/whatever else.

I think you sold me on the wood handle and being a wax seal. Very cool. It was found in an old lot and I pulled an 1892 Indian head the same day and have found other 1800's coins there too. Thanks for the help everyone.

Back
Top Bottom