• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

New Dump Spot - little bit of everything

yacorie

Elite Member
So today I went out in search of a dump I had heard about. I'm not sure if I found the one but I found one. This is essentially a 25 foot high pile that is probably 40 feet across but its in the woods down a slope so hard for say for sure.

I walked in with just a few grocery bags in my pocket in case I happened to find something. Everything here was essentially picked up off the top. Other people have definitely been here and have done some digging - so I don't know if these are other peoples rejects or some were exposed from rains etc.

Anyway - here are some pictures of finds. I gave them a quick clean but they should probably be cleaned up more.

Picture 1 - Wan-Eta Cocoa Boston jar, Atlas EZ Seal Jar, Presto Glass Top Jar, Trade mark Lightning Jar

Picture 2 - Atlas EZ Seal Jar, Safe Seal Jar, Drey Perfect Mason jar, random jar

Picture 3 - Random Blue Glass

Picture 4 - some milk glass and a green jar

Picture 5 - some medicines - screw tops mostly but embossed

Attachments

• Jars 1.jpg
    Jars 1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 658
  • Jars 2.jpg
    Jars 2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 562
  • Random blues.jpg
    Random blues.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 599
  • random whites.jpg
    random whites.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 626
  • Medicines.jpg
    Medicines.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 555
The thing that was awesome about this area - is how many local bottles i was able to pick up. I don't necessarily have any great love for CT (I grew up in PA) but its fun to find local stuff. The ACLs haven't been washed because I want to let them dry.

Picture 1 - Star Water Miracle of the Wash Day bottle (found 3 of these), Virginia Dare Garrett & CO New York and St Louis (found 3 of these), Listerine, Odell's (barber tonic).

Picture 2 - Frommers (not sure what this is), Thames Clue Beverages Norwich CT, Charter Oak Bottline works Hartford CT, Portland Bottling Works Portland CT, 2nd Portland Bottle

Picture 3 - Hortons Pilsener Brewing New York, Tumble Brook Beverage Company Hartford CT, Granite Rock Spring, Curran & Joyce Co Inc

Picture 4 - CT Breweries Bridgeport CT, Hydrox Meriden CT, Bacon Bottling Company Hartford, CT

Picture 5 - 2 Fox Spring Beverages, Royal Crown, Red Cap Refresher R Germicide.

Attachments

• Bottles 1.jpg
    Bottles 1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 702
  • Bottles 2.jpg
    Bottles 2.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 585
  • Bottles 3.jpg
    Bottles 3.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 594
  • Bottles 4.jpg
    Bottles 4.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 603
  • Bottles 5.jpg
    Bottles 5.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 563
That (Putnam) Lightning is the oldest of the jars. Henry Putnam invented the wire bail closure for these jars, also most of the bails on your blobtops on your collection (see: https://sha.org/bottle/food.htm#Canning/Fruit Jars ) Frommer's is a beer I think. Those Tumble Rock and Granite Rock Spring bottles are cool as are the two Fox Spring ACL's. Hope you are able to save 'em. The Royal Crown is real common so don't sweat that one. Some interesting stuff. Makes you wonder what else is waiting for you there.

Here are a few pics of one of my Lightning jars:

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 503
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 503
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 545
Last edited:
Yasorie, Great job finding such varied and interesting jars and bottles! I like them all, of course the blues are very eye catching. Glasshopper, thanks for your close up of the wire closure. That's really an old one!

Awesome finds yacorie! I was unaware you were located in CT. Makes me miss digging glass. You might be able to find some older bottles down deeper. Good luck on your return trip and in 2019!

Are you sure that one bottle doesn't say "Trommers"?
Sorry if I've overloaded you with information, but an old bottle (or other relic), to me, is often a key to an interesting piece of history.

Thats exactly what it is. Thank you.

I love to find the history of the bottles, MD finds, coins anything so thank you for posting that information.

Awesome finds yacorie! I was unaware you were located in CT. Makes me miss digging glass. You might be able to find some older bottles down deeper. Good luck on your return trip and in 2019!

yeah I'm in CT. Are you actually in MA? For some reason I thought you were in RI.

Between work and hockey with my son, it feels like i spend more time in MA than i do in CT sometimes.

That (Putnam) Lightning is the oldest of the jars. Henry Putnam invented the wire bail closure for these jars, also most of the bails on your blobtops on your collection (see: https://sha.org/bottle/food.htm#Canning/Fruit Jars ) Frommer's is a beer I think. Those Tumble Rock and Granite Rock Spring bottles are cool as are the two Fox Spring ACL's. Hope you are able to save 'em. The Royal Crown is real common so don't sweat that one. Some interesting stuff. Makes you wonder what else is waiting for you there.

Here are a few pics of one of my Lightning jars:

You're lightning jars are much nicer than this one. However, I don't have another so for right now, the presto, Lightning, Drey and Wan-Eta have a spot here.

yeah I'm in CT. Are you actually in MA? For some reason I thought you were in RI.

Between work and hockey with my son, it feels like i spend more time in MA than i do in CT sometimes.

Yes im in MA, but travel south throughout the year to hunt with members from both CT and RI, and also have had a few members come to MA for a hunt. If your ever interested in a hunt, let me know! This is the best time of year to hit the coast too, lots of old gold and silver showing up. Good luck out there!
Jeff

Yes im in MA, but travel south throughout the year to hunt with members from both CT and RI, and also have had a few members come to MA for a hunt. If your ever interested in a hunt, let me know! This is the best time of year to hit the coast too, lots of old gold and silver showing up. Good luck out there!
Jeff

Sounds good. I'm always up for getting together. I have a few spots that have produced or me but I'm sure those of you who know what you're doing might find some real good stuff.

Excellent finds and a very interesting post with all the Forum feedback! :friends:

I think maybe its because most of us who have been out detecting have come across bottles and small dump areas - but we all don't go out and find all of those awesome relics. Digging provides real tangibles haha.

So my son and I decided to hit this dump again on New Years Day. This time we did a little bit of digging - but not too much. Still came home with 2 overflowing 5 gallon buckets of bottles. I'll admit, we keep things that others probably toss back beause they are chipped or cracked. If they're bad, we leave them but if its one we don't have or haven't seen - it comes home. We also throw "anything that looks cool" in the bucket.

here are pictures from the day.

Picture 1 - atlas/ball jars
Picture 2 - 1/2 gallon Dazzle Amber, 3 Virginia Dare, 1 champagne
Picture 3 - some random 'cool bottle', one with a pilgrim that i can't ID and a readville Dry Gin
Pictures 4 and 5 - each side of the amber pilgrim bottle
Picture 6 - Large medicine bottle, unmarked amber bottle, Star water, Lydia Pinkham and Wayne Country Produce
Picture 7 - Pluto Water, RJ Ritter, Merrill's Saybrook CT, Granite Rock Water, Charter Oak Beverages Hartford CT
Picture 8 - 3 different Portland Bottling works Portland CT (I cannot find pictures of other bottles from here anywhere for some reason), Great Pacific Tea
Picture 9, 10, 11 - some random bottles/jars
Picture 12 - 1933 Chicago Worlds Fair Bottle - I need to get the lid off.

Attachments

• IMG_0919.jpg
    IMG_0919.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_0918.jpg
    IMG_0918.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_0917.jpg
    IMG_0917.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_0916.jpg
    IMG_0916.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 447
  • IMG_0915.jpg
    IMG_0915.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_0924.jpg
    IMG_0924.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_0923.jpg
    IMG_0923.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_0922.jpg
    IMG_0922.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_0921.jpg
    IMG_0921.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 509
  • IMG_0920.jpg
    IMG_0920.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_0925.jpg
    IMG_0925.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_0926.jpg
    IMG_0926.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 454
First of all, I stand corrected on the "Frommer's" bottle. was thinking of that Travel site. Trommers, check!

Jim that World's Fair bottle is COOL!! I have a small 1934 World's Fair whiskey flask that I found in the sand at Indiana Dunes State Park about 20 years ago. It still has the screwcap stuck on. But I like yours better.:yes:

Attachments

• SS857137.jpg
    SS857137.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 497
  • SS857139.jpg
    SS857139.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 483
  • SS857138.jpg
    SS857138.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 419
Back
Top Bottom