Holiday Digging with My Son

yacorie

Elite Member
With this warm weather we've had in the northeast, my son and I went out digging behind the house at a nearby spot for a few hours. we also hit a pair of spots in PA when we were down there visiting. We checked out a few spots I remembered as a kid but they either were no longer there or I didn't quite remember where they were.

Besides the obvious good time doing stuff with your kids, its always fun to see what he thinks is worth keeping and what I think is worth keeping.

I'll have to break this up because of the pictures.

Hunt #1:

Picture 1 - the glass we found that we brought back. One is embossed wayne county produce, Greenport Long Island. A few milk glass jars and what you see.

Picture 2 - Someone must have dumped the kitchen drawer in the swamp. A couple different patterns and companies.

Picture 3 - A red metal toy - its a tootsie toy according to the label inside. Hard to get a date but this toy was introduced in 1939 as part of the 4 fuel truck series.

Picture 4 - Car items - maybe? The Ford item looks like its a grease cover center cap as part of the hub cap. Not sure how to age them but I could look it up. The other thing - I'm not sure what it is. Its very thing metal but obviously has the "De" monogram on it. Any ideas?

Hunt 2 was a spot that I remembered in the woods. However, I was surprised to see that the town now owns this parcel and has a walking trail through it. The bottles at this site were all modern. I don't know if thats all thats left there now or if its always been this way.

Picture 5 - the bottles we took home. The best one was a 1922-33 Ball Jar.

Attachments

• behind house dig.jpg
    behind house dig.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 286
  • behind house dig spoons.jpg
    behind house dig spoons.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 282
  • behind house tootsie toy.jpg
    behind house tootsie toy.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 277
  • behind house car stuff.jpg
    behind house car stuff.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 291
  • xmas hunt 1 conklin.jpg
    xmas hunt 1 conklin.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 283
The rest of these pictures are from a combination of sites in PA. Last year we hit one of these sites over thanksgiving and found some perfume bottles, a grinding stone, some sodas and the best thing was a sterling silver change purse.

Picture 1 - Bottles from the site. The double handled bottles have Penlick & Ford on the bottom which made me think they were car related. However, a search through the internet appears that these were syrup bottles. Other bottles were unmarked milk, a guaranteed parts jar and a fruit jar.

Picture 2 - A pair of Sweetie ACL sodas, a Hires ACL soda that is barely legible, some random smalls.

Picture 3 - A bunch of colors - nothing crazy. However, we did find a woodbury milk glass jar with a very nice, non-rusted lid. No clue what protected it - but we'll take it.

Picture 4 - some random stuff. A railroad spike, doorknob, lock mechanism or old skeleton lock, glass bead type thing and a metal wreath pin.

Attachments

• xmas hunt laurels 4.jpg
    xmas hunt laurels 4.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 249
  • xmas hunt laurels 3.jpg
    xmas hunt laurels 3.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 283
  • xmas hunt laurels 2.jpg
    xmas hunt laurels 2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 268
  • xmas hunt laurels.jpg
    xmas hunt laurels.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 306
This last batch of pictures is from the same site as the bottles above, and the same area where I found the silver purse last year. Its as if someone dumped the contents of a womans purse in the woods.

The hallmarks allowed me to figure out that Samuel Levi was the silversmith and made this in 1906 while he was with Birmingham silver.

Picture 1 - A silver matchbook case, a gold colored lipstick case, a metal lipstick case I can't open, a westmore blush container, a tin box and the back to a cheap pocket watch we found last time.

Picture 2 - one side of the matchbook case

Picture 3 - other side of the matchbook case

Picture 4 - the hallmarks

Picture 5 - a small vial that still contains the powder that came in it. It is sealed and has to be broken to be opened - Any ideas what might be in it?

Attachments

• sealed vial.jpg
    sealed vial.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 244
  • matchbook case hallmarks.jpg
    matchbook case hallmarks.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 262
  • match case 2.jpg
    match case 2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 270
  • match case 1.jpg
    match case 1.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 246
  • Cosmetic stuff.jpg
    Cosmetic stuff.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 269
The small Ford hubcap looks to be for a Model A (circa '28-31) and the bigger one is a 1931 Desoto model SA (SE were different). Found these images online while searching "DeSoto hubcap". The larger one below is 1956 so they still were using a very similar logo then.

Attachments

• desoto.jpg
    desoto.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 229
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 239
  • desoto-1931-roadster-01.jpg
    desoto-1931-roadster-01.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
As for the other stuff, man, you sure found a bunch there. That Tootsietoy tanker truck I just saw one this week in an antique store for $20 and it had most of its' paint gone.

Those ACL Sweetie bottles are cool, and if you're careful you can probably save the paint. The tiny sealed bottle is called an ampoule. See link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampoule

With all that old silverware you can go on a picnic! I have never found that many at one time.

Hey Jim, if you're not careful, you may turn your son into a bottle digger. :yes:

Last edited:
Thanks for the information on the hub caps. Not sure what we will do with all the random stuff we bring home but that’s part of the fun. He also brought home what looks to be an iron stand of some sort and there is also a royal crown cal that was very wet so I put it aside to dry. I think it’s already light on the paint so we will see.

I’d love to know what is still inside the ampoule but that ship has sailed.

For me, the best thing is that sterling match case. I think it’s a cool item and being able to ID the year it was made and the silver smith who made it is just icing on the cake.

That silver match case is a friggen Prize! All nice and interesting finds though, but that match case is a stunner! You gonna sell it?

What a great hunt! Thanks for the post and congratulations on being out with your Son!

I like the sweetie sodas.
Soda on right of them looks like Hires root beer
Love the silver match case.

Thanks. The sodas I didn't clean yet because I'm trying to let them dry. The bottle to the right is a Hires - the ACL is about 90% gone but it says Hires on the bottom.

That silver match case is a friggen Prize! All nice and interesting finds though, but that match case is a stunner! You gonna sell it?

What a great hunt! Thanks for the post and congratulations on being out with your Son!

I have no plans to sell it. I tend to hoard things I find.

I had purchased some of the Hamilton press drawers from Swinglow a few months back and a bunch of these smaller items will find homes there on the wall.

I have no plans to sell it. I tend to hoard things I find.

I had purchased some of the Hamilton press drawers from Swinglow a few months back and a bunch of these smaller items will find homes there on the wall.

Well, I had to ask...I dont blame you for keeping it! Thats on hell of a trophy!

Back
Top Bottom