Help!

iNaynay

Hey guys, I recently lost a Carbonado (black diamond) and 18 kt gold earring. Would a basic metal detector be able to locate it? Also, would it be able to locate the much smaller back piece? Thanks in advance! Please help!

South Los Angeles, CA

Cerritos, CA to be precise. I'd be willing to pay for their services too, so long as the price isn't excessive.

I'm curious, what makes this hobby fun for you guys? I might decide to pick it up if I end up buying my own metal detector. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated!

I'm curious, what makes this hobby fun for you guys? I might decide to pick it up if I end up buying my own metal detector. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated!

Its fun to just get out there and search for stuff. But knowing there is gold , silver , old or rare or historic items out there free for the taking sweetens the deal. Usually the more you learn about the hobby the better you get at it which spawns the research side of it , and that can be almost a hobby in itself. Add in the pleasant time spent outdoors and the experience is hard to beat.

Welcome from NC! I hope you are able to recover your lost jewelry, and maybe get hooked to the hobby in the process :grin: Best of luck to you.

Hey guys, I recently lost a Carbonado (black diamond) and 18 kt gold earring. Would a basic metal detector be able to locate it? Also, would it be able to locate the much smaller back piece? Thanks in advance! Please help!

Just an FYI, some metal detectors may not be able to pick up the small back piece and, depending on the size, may not be able to find that either. Detectors with smaller coils usually do better on smaller items and detectors with higher frequencies usually do better on small gold items.

You might try posting your item on lostmystuff.net to see if there is anyone in your area with the experience and equipment to find it.

Good luck!

That's a pretty challenging target for a beginner, but GOOD LUCK and...

Welcome aboard from NW Florida!!

22728_10152223142160635_925608420_n.jpg

Not all metal detectors will find a very small gold earring. If you decide to buy your own detector to find the missing earring be sure and take the matching earring along and see if the detector you choose will pick it up. I hunted a small diamond earring for a teacher at the local elementary school. When I checked out the mate to the missing earring, I found that none of my detectors would pick it up more than 2 inches away from the coil. The surprising thing was my inexpensive Tesoro Compadre worked about as well as anything. The frequency the detector runs at has a lot to do with how well they detect gold. Low frequency detectors are less sensitive to gold than high frequency ones. Good luck finding your earring. If I didn't live a couple thousand miles away, I'd be glad to try and find it for you.

Yes a metal detector can find it. There are also people here who would be willing to help you. Where are you located?

Not all metal detectors will find a very small gold earring. If you decide to buy your own detector to find the missing earring be sure and take the matching earring along and see if the detector you choose will pick it up. I hunted a small diamond earring for a teacher at the local elementary school. When I checked out the mate to the missing earring, I found that none of my detectors would pick it up more than 2 inches away from the coil. The surprising thing was my inexpensive Tesoro Compadre worked about as well as anything. The frequency the detector runs at has a lot to do with how well they detect gold. Low frequency detectors are less sensitive to gold than high frequency ones. Good luck finding your earring. If I didn't live a couple thousand miles away, I'd be glad to try and find it for you.

Oh sweet, can you contact me at [email protected]?

Thanks a lot guys. Also, I'll check out lostmystuff.net. Also, the gold is attached to the Carbonado. The stone approximately 1.15 carats. Here's a picture

Attachments

• Dmon.jpg
    Dmon.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 369
Also, in the meantime, could anyone recommend an entry-level detector so I could try this out?

First it would help to know your budget, secondly, where are you going to use it, and lastly, what are you looking for?

Given that we do not have this info, here's some offerings:

In no particular order...

Bounty Hunter line
Fisher F2
Garrett ACE 250 or 350
Tesoro Compadre Silver U Max or Cibola
Whites CoinMaster
Minelab XTerra 305 (this would be my choice if I did it over again)

Just to name a few, I'm sure others will chime in...

This is just part of the fun, most of last seasons rings...

IMG_4812_zps8ddbce79.jpg

untitled_zps27ae86d4.png

Good luck on your quest!!!

<*)))>{

Anything around $150 is good for me. Also, is this lucrative? By the way, thanks for the link. I've already contacted four people.

Lucrative? Hummm. You can make money, find money, but it is a lot of work. For most, getting a part time job for minimum wage would pay more.

I would say most detectorists are in it for the challenge. I retired from the prison system where I loved looking for illegal drugs, cell phones, and other contraband. Now I use a metal detector to search for old coins and relics, for me. I have yet to pay for my latest detector, but don't really care. It's simply a goal to set.

I belong to lostmystuff.net and just recovered a small silver cross pendent for a nice lady. The reward is the great feeling of doing something nice for someone and hopefully they pay it forward. When I'm out detecting normally it's for the surprise of what may come out of the ground next. mostly trash but there's always that occasional winning find, relics or coins. Kinda like fishing, always hoping for that big one.

Tesoro Compadre would be a good detector and cheap detector for this job if you decide to try to find it on your own or the F2. Both detectors r easy to learn as well. if I was closer I sure would help ya! HH

Back
Top Bottom