• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Mx sport

I bought one a couple months ago

Been detecting since the 70s, Owned at least 6 different White's machines.
I do not like it and do not recommend it. The next guy may have a different
opinion, but the original MXT is far superior only a bit heavier.

Coinspader runs one,and makes alot of great finds .maybe he will chime in..From what I see the whites mx7 is the same machine as the mx sport,just not waterproof and alot lighter.I mean the exact same from specs
I'm not sure Calabash has ever held a mx sport to make any opinion,so I wouldn't let him stay you from what you want.Mx sport has a ton of positive users and reviews

Ok smart guy your on the forums and have been reading about both detectors from the beginning!

WHICH one do you think receives the highest praise by the majority of the people???:?::?:

The thing was so bad TNSHARPSHOOTER GAVE that's right GAVE his away...

Oh yeah and the whites faithful guy above doesnt even recommend it.....Two of my close friends had them and the audio stinks....

For the new guy who posted this......someone will be along to tell you how great they are in a minute...My advice is do your homework before you spend your money based on any ones opinion. There are a lot of couch potato detectorist around...that live on the internet and really dont do much detecting.

Ok smart guy your on the forums and have been reading about both detectors from the beginning!

WHICH one do you think receives the highest praise by the majority of the people???:?::?:

The thing was so bad TNSHARPSHOOTER GAVE that's right GAVE his away...

Oh yeah and the whites faithful guy above doesnt even recommend it.....Two of my close friends had them and the audio stinks....

Thanks for ruining another thread..your out of line,..And news flash,tnsharpshooter and Calabash don't set the bar for machines,if tnsharpshooter don't like a machine that's his opinion,s don't mean it's not a good machine.Grow up man,for real,it's getting a little sickening

Last edited:
Answer the question I asked. Which detector has more positive feedback from the majority?

NODROG do your homework before you lay out your hard earned money.....He asked for advice in the other thread to steer him in the right direction...well that's my advice.

I have one and it has been a absolute joy to use. It is a little heavy but it is balanced well. It is sensitive and deep. I have the stock coil which is good and the 6" Six shooter which has been great in some of the trashy area I poke around in. I also like White's customer service. Youtube has a couple called the Silver Slingers that use them with great success and have a 10% off code.

I fail to see where the original post asked about the Nox or which was the better detector. The OP asked about the MXS.

As a side note, condescension doesn't really serves anyone other than yourself.

I have been a Whites fan for years, I have both the MXT All Pro and MX Sport. I would take the All Pro over the Sport. Since I bought an Equniox 800 I haven’t use either one of the Whites. My backup is the MXT All Pro and it is the best Whites detector I had in years. I hunt for coins in mostly parks and beaches which is why I like the Equinox.

He has two threads ….Question said steer in right direction in the other thread....Where you guys been ??? What detector has lit up the detecting world MX SPORT OR EQUINOX? You guys act like telling someone to do there homework is bad...How much does the MX SPORT weigh? What about the weight of the 11 inch coil?
I fail to see where the original post asked about the Nox or which was the better detector. The OP asked about the MXS.

As a side note, condescension doesn't really serves anyone other than yourself.

I got rid of my sport.
One reason is it looks small and light but it is a wrist breaker.
For the price of a sport you can get into a nox 600.

I have the upgraded MXsport,,, I luv mine.... I mainly got it for fresh water beaches and those hidden swimming holes and its not nearly as light as my tesoros but when submerged it balances out for me,, I'm a commercial plumber also so maybe my arms are stronger and if it is heavy I don't really notice it and I haven't weighed it because it wasn't a problem. I have every coil I could find for it but so far have only used the stock coil which goes really deep while underwater I think my deepest coin was about 10" under the surface in about 5' of water,,,,, when on land I use a "edited" I guess it doesn't matter because you asked about the MXSport and I say try it out and make your own opinion it may save you a lot of money and headaches.

Just a word or 2 for Basher and what I've told my boys: "Say what you mean and mean what you say, but don't be mean about what you say." Doesn't matter whether you speak the truth if people don't listen to you because you come across as an arse.

I bought an MX Sport off a friend of mine a few months ago. I don’t find the weight to be an issue, even with the 13” coil. It did have some shaft wobble but it was easily fixable. It’s pretty user friendly with a variety of modes, So it can be set up to be very vocal or very quiet. Being a Tesoro user, silent search is my preference. If I could change anything I would add a pinpoint volume control as it’s often too quiet. I run it with the Garrett Z-Lynk wireless system, which works very well with the MXS. I don’t use the wireless on my Vaquero as I find it alters the accuracy of the audio and makes it tougher to hear the aluminum raspiness. Overall, I think it’s a pretty decent machine, and does a really good job on our Canadian coins, but not our modern steel !!!! coins, which is fine by me. Would I buy it again? Not sure. It’s good, but I don’t think it’s better than other options. I’m probably going to sell it in the spring and try a DeepTech. I’m not a big fan of screens.

Nodrog58, you've made two main forum posts that are a little lacking in information, yet you ask for some 'direction' in detector choice. That makes it difficult for anyone to help you, and opens the door for those who like to pick on detectors you own or ask about.

You were just 6½ years old when I started metal detecting and I have been at it constantly ever since. I currently own and use fourteen detectors that I prefer for different hunt site needs and for different types of hunting I most enjoy, such as Coin & Jewelry Hunting and Relic Hunting.

Through these many decades I have not only been a very Avid Detectorist, but have been a detector dealer, a distributor, worked for a once major detector manufacturer, and have worked with many dealers to help them out at shows. I have been provided prototypes from over a half-dozen detector manufacturers going back to 1974 to evaluate, and since 1981 I have hosted full-day or two-day metal detecting seminars.

All of these experiences have provided me with many opportunities to help others who have an interest in this fascinating outdoor sport who are trying to learn more about the metal detectors they own, as well as those who are looking for a new detector to get started or for an additional unit or simply to move up to a better all-purpose model.

To achieve that, I/We need to know more about what it is you have, what you're going to use it for, what it is, in particular, that you don't like about your current detectors and what it is you are looking for in a different model. All of that info was lacking in your two posts.

It might also help to know the types of search sites you plan to hunt, and even how often you might expect to get out detecting in the course of a week or a month or more. All too many detector owners are at the 'Hobbyist' level and end up staying there maybe forever and never advancing to what I call an Avid Detectorist level.

Most Hobbyists seldom get out detecting, and when they do it is usually only for a brief amount of time. They seem to never really get too enthusiastic about learning all they can about a detector, its control functions, or how to get the most/better performance out of it. The bulk of the time they have never read the Instruction Manual, thoroughly, from cover-to-cover, and then tracked down the answers to better understand things they read that didn't make sense to them.

Some replies to your post have encouraged you to go check out the model or models that interest you, but how experienced are you now? Do you know what you are looking for and would you be able to simply handle two or three detectors and find the answers by doing so?

Nodrog58 said:
I have the at pro but would like to get whites mx sport any opinions that might steer me in the tight direction
Q: How long have you had the Garrett AT Pro?

Q: What prompted you to purchase the AT Pro?

Q: Which search coils to you have and use with the AT Pro?

Q: Do you own any other metal detectors, and if so, what are they?

Q: How long have you been into the metal detecting sport?

Q: What type of detecting do you do, or in order of what most often to least often? (Coin Hunting; Jewelry Hunting; Relic Hunting; Beach Hunting; Gold Nugget Hunting.)

Q: How many days per month, weather permitting, do you plan to get out detecting?

Q: What is it about the AT Pro that you do not like? (Physical Packaging, Features and Performance or both.)

Q: What is it you are looking for in a different metal detector?

Nodrog58 said:
Any one have an mxsport
Yes, I owned one.

There's an answer to the question, but what did you really want to know? Simply opinions about the White's MX Sport? Okay, I'll share some:

I felt it was rushed into production and release because the local dealer got one in and it was terrible. The coil felt heavy, the grip was fine but balance a little heavy for me, but I'm not young and healthy and strong anymore. But it was the performance that was a let-down. A friend & I went it to check it out and it didn't perform in their store as well as the M6 and MXT Pro they had on the wall.

Later: There were a lot of complaints and quite a few issues that surfaced and needed to be addressed. White's did just that and the finished product worked fine.

I was interested in their efforts to correct the issues ,and they used the new and improved circuitry in a land-based model called the MX-7. I bought a brand new MX-7 at the White's factory thirteen months ago and two more after that. They all have worked quite well for me and the needs I have for most of my iron littered sites as well as getting depth in open area with sparse masking targets.

Earlier this year I worked a trade deal to get a newer, low-use MX Sport to check out since I had my accessory coils for the MX-7 that work on it. Performance wise, it worked OK and I compared it with my other detectors as well as some I borrowed from friends. Those included an AT Pro, AT Max, Equinox 800, Multi-Kruzer and finally the Anfibio 19. Other makes and models as well, but those are the submersible waterproof units to compare if waterproofing is desired.

In the end I prefer the White's MX-7 with all the same features and performance but in a much lighter and better-balanced land-based model.

In the waterproof category, I liked it better than the models from Garret and Minelab, but not as well as those from Nokta-Makro. I parted with the MX Sport. Even though it works OK, for my wants and needs, for the same performance I favor the MX-7.

I can't help you more than that unless I/We know more about what you do, what you are looking for and we can answer from there. The AT Pro is an 'OK' detector and seems to be liked by many. Equally, it isn't a favorite pick for others, so it is really a matter of what you want and are looking for.

Monte

V3i

I have a whites v3i. And and a Garrett at pro Coils for the v3i 4/6 did 6/10dd coils for at pro stock plus 6/9.

Monte I’m nw sorry if I didnt put a lot of info in there. I like my garret at pro. I use it when I go in streams that have a lot of activity. My v3i is for dry conditions. I

Hi,
you have received some good advice both pro and con. One last question, what are your soil conditions where you hunt. Low, medium or high mineralization? That matters a lot if you are after depth and target ID accuracy.

I have very high mineralization where I hunt most of the time. I tried the MXSport and owned an MX7 for awhile. Both detectors did not do well in high mineralization, period. Target ID was all over the place on wild targets at 4" or more and the resulting jumpy audio drove me nuts unless I switched to one or two tones. The weight distribution on the Sport was worse than on the MX7. I like to hunt for 4 to 6 hours at a time and fatigue was a factor. I really liked the display but that's about it.

So, Monte tells it like it is very carefully. Calabash tells it like it is too, but with a 12 gauge. They are both telling you the same thing. So am I. I can't recommend the MXSport. As Monte said and I concur, my former old Whites M6 did a better job of basic detecting when I compared it to the MXSport. I can't understand why you would even want one since the V3i is an incredible detector and the AT Pro is just as good or a little better than the MXSport and I have used or owned both the Pro and the AT Gold. Unless you just have to have a US made, fully submersible waterproof detector, the Makro Kruzer, Nokta Anfibio and the Equinox 600 are similar in price and way more detector for the money in my opinion.
Jeff

nodrog said:
Monte I’m new, sorry if I didn't put a lot of info in there.
I have a Whites V3i and a Garrett AT Pro. Coils for the V3i 4x6 DD, 6X10 DD. Coils for AT Pro stock plus 6X10 DD. I like my Garrett AT Pro. I use it when I go in streams that have a lot of activity. My V3i is for dry conditions.
Wow! We went over a month since I posted a reply before another response. Two from you (which I blended in the above quote and cleaned up the spelling and punctuation) and one from Jeff.

Now we know what detectors and coils you have, but we're still adrift and don't know where you are (in general), the type of hunting you typically do, and especially what it is you are looking for.

I'm not sure what detectors you have owned previously or the amount of experience you have, but when it comes to the V3i, I can only hope you have learned it well and mastered it. I only personally knew two people who really had a very good grasp on the V3i. One, an engineer who passed away earlier this month, and the other a friend who lives in western Oregon and also owns a White's M6 that he started with, and also an MX Sport.

Personally, I don't care for it. I had a Vision the week before 'official' introduction and went through the progression of addressing all the issues they were having as it morphed to the V3 then V3i. I was a White's Master Dealer for a while and I hunted a lot. It just didn't/doesn't work well for me in the challenging iron infested sites I like, or the Coin & Jewelry Hunting I like to do.

As has been mentioned, the MX Sport is an OK detector, performance wise in my opinion, but the weight and balance become uncomfortable for me in short order. I found the MX-7 to balance well, work just fine for most uses, but it appears you're interested in a waterproof detector.

I have owned the AT Pro, and borrowed both the AT Gold and AT Max, and they are Okay, but for me they are not great. I don't like the top-heavy balance, nor working with the coil cable connectors, and they also fall short when it comes to performance for me. Again, I mainly Relic Hunt but also put in ample Coin & Jewelry Hunting, to sometimes include freshwater beaches.

My current waterproof detector is the Nokta-Makro Anfibio Multi and I wouldn't hesitate a moment to put it up against any Garrett AT model, or an MX Sport, or the Minelab Equinox siblings. Ample, yet 'Simple', adjustment functions and search modes. tremendous depth-of-detection ... for the times it is beneficial or needed ... and with a round 7" Concentric coil it makes a terrific general-purpose, day-to-day detector.

Another waterproof detector I used that works well that you could consider is the Makro Multi-Kruzer, or just the basic one-frequency Kruzer, which is also a very good performer and also uses the same 7" Concentric coil as the Anfibio series.

Still not sure what you are looking for but there's some added information. Also I noticed that with your two detectors I didn't see a Concentric coil listed. Might be a good idea to give one some consideration.

Monte

Back
Top Bottom