Mojave or Cibola???

WyoTom

Elite Member
I’m looking at trying a Tesoro. Either the Mojave or Cibola. I mainly hunt parks and yards for coins. Most of the old coins I find in the parks are 6”+ so I need to get fairly deep... I’m kinda leaning toward the black Cibola with the 8x11 coil and also getting the 5.75” concentric coil.

Hi WyoTom,
I've had both in the past few years. I live in central Colorado and have really high mineralization. The Mojave is a great little detector but it could not handle my soil even with the mineralization switch on high. The Cibola on the other hand works great in my nasty dirt for some reason. It is even quieter than the manual ground balance Vaquero I used to have!!!! It goes deep and sounds really nice on good jewelry targets. good luck, Jeff

If you're buying new, I would not get a Tesoro since the company seems to be closing.

I had both with stock coils,cibola was the spoked concentric coil. I saw no difference in depth in my Pennsylvania soil,coin garden..I would get the Mojave

I wouldn't worry about it. I have owned several Tesoro's over the years and never had to send then in to get fixed. I think they are still fixing them though, just not making anymore new ones. A lot of older machines are still being sold and work real well that the manufacturers won't work on anymore do to not having parts etc like the explorer series from minelab but still sell and work great.

Neither

I don't think the Cibola or the Mojave is what you want for 6+ inch coins. I have had the Vaquero, Outlaw, and still have the Mojave. The Vaquero was very deep when power balanced in my moderate soil. The Mojave is a 6 - 7 inch machine that is very good on jewelry, coins in iron and against metal poles. The Cibola I don't know, but I am leery on machines that don't have manual ground balance for deep coins. My guess would be Tejon, Vaquero, or a Modified Cibola. 1 thing on the Tejon, there was a opinion that the later machines were hotter. JMO

I've heard the only difference in the v and the c is the v has ground balance. The m has two ground balance settings and one setting may be perfect for your area. The m will go 2-4" less deep than the others. I know you can mod the c to add gb. I'm pretty sure you can open the c to adjust the gb to your area if it doesn't vary by much. PM Monte, he can help you with this.

Thanks for the input guys! I actually found a great deal on a modded Cibola with the 9x8 coil and 5.75” concentric. Can’t wait to try it out!

Last edited:
I have hunted behind some of the newer machines nowadays with the Mojave,disc all the way up and found plenty of silver those machines missed..And these are very small private yards I’ve hit with those newer machines and there’s absolutely no way I didn’t have those 11 inch coils over those coins..But that Mojave with that 7 inch coil,disc full blast is a cherry picking dream,and will hunt behind any machine.

Last edited:
WyoTom,

good luck with the Cibola. If it has the ground balance mod you should be in great shape.
It's a fine detector and the higher transmit kHz should help you go even deeper than the Mojave in bad dirt.

Jeff

WyoTom,

good luck with the Cibola. If it has the ground balance mod you should be in great shape.
It's a fine detector and the higher transmit kHz should help you go even deeper than the Mojave in bad dirt.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I think it will be a nice machine to have. It will bring a new challenge!

Back
Top Bottom