• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

My Rings So Far This Year.....Mostly Found In Fresh Water Lakes

John-Edmonton

Elite Member

Snowed last evening. I got out my macro lens, put it on my Nikon 3400 and tried various shots of my rings. All the while, I had marinated some slices, grass fed beef and hung them in my smoker for some great tasting beef jerky.

Here are all the rings found this year with my AT MAX, AT Pro and APEX. The MAX got the 4 gold rings. The AT MAX really performed well. Using the true all metal mode with iron audio turned on got me some extra depth, which got me some more rings. The AT Pro found a couple too. The APEX surprised me with 7 rings all found on land. Two were found in the woods and the rest found in parks. I hunted all using multi frequency.

Below are the several rings found with my APEX.

Attachments

• Rings apex smallersmall.jpg
    Rings apex smallersmall.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 586
John, congrats on the year's success.

Now, with the Apex, you've only found a few good jewelry items, but I was wondering if you're only using the MF frequency or if you've favored one or two of the Single Frequencies when jewelry hunting?

Thanks,

Monte

John, congrats on the year's success.

Now, with the Apex, you've only found a few good jewelry items, but I was wondering if you're only using the MF frequency or if you've favored one or two of the Single Frequencies when jewelry hunting?

Thanks,

Monte

Monte, I am mostly using multi-frequency mode, as on average, it does extremely well. For high conductors such as silver and copper coins, lower frequency is usually better, and that is validated with the silver dime in the histogram up above. It air tested at a greatest distance with 5 kHz. That tiny gold flake faired the best with 20kHz, including multi - frequency.

Now, these are air tests, and can account for a certain margin of error, but they are based on the maximum potential with the detector. Even out in the field, one can't simply call a certain coin at a constant fixed value (depth) with a particular metal detector frequency. Mineralization, humidity in the soil, target orientation to the coil, oxidation formed on the coin and size of coin will all change the depth results.

As a general rule, a lower frequency on the APEX 5kHz, would give you a sensitivity and depth advantage with copper and silver coins. Lower conductors should fair better with a higher frequency. However, keep in mind, that most gold rings are not 100% gold. They are mixed with non-ferrous elements such as silver and copper. You will get your highest gold% in natural gold found in rivers, streams, and rock. So, gold rings should fair well in multi frequency. Our common aluminum pull tabs are most sensitive to higher frequencies, as they are often in the gold range.

So, if you can define what you are searchingofor.....ie gold rings, gold nuggets, silver, copper coins, you can get an advantage choosing a particular frequency on the Garrett Apex.

Stay Safe!

Attachments

• mask small one.jpg
    mask small one.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 381
Glad to see you're still finding those rings

I'm Arturo from LD's .
It's been a hectic time for everyone and am glad that we still can get out to dig or scoop them out.
HH

Nice ring collection

Thanks for apex info. Im in ca for six months then mo for six months most of my jewerly has been found at parks and schools.

Garrett Atpro, Seahunter mk2, Ace 300, Apex arrived today.

John-Edmonton: said:
Monte, I am mostly using multi-frequency mode, as on average, it does extremely well.
John,

Sorry for a tardy reply. Just been too busy I guess. Both my Apex units start up in my Custom mode (Accepting everything from '20' on up) and Sensitivity max, Volume '8', Iron Volume '2' and in 'MF'. I have found the Multi-Flex operation to generally handle most sites well, but there are times I opt for the default '15' kHz or sometimes '20' kHz. Both to get a slight edge in performance, or to help counter some EMI in a few urban locations. I only use the Iron Audio function on occasion as a momentary target-check when I suspect a problem bottle cap or other ferrous-offender to be present.

Kcterry: said:
Thanks for apex info. Im in ca for six months then mo for six months most of my jewerly has been found at parks and schools.
I'm curious what chunk of Missouri you are in for half-a-year? I can't handle the high heat of summer or the very cold winters like I used to, and have considered moving to some place like Willard / Springfield MO.

I don't coastal-hunt. I used to get to some large river beaches and sometimes to lake / reservoir beaches, but sports-fields and grassy parks produced maybe double the number of better gold and silver jewelry finds. Best of them all was when i lived in larger metro areas where anywhere from 50% to 75% of my annual good jewelry take came from tot-lot / playground areas with wood-chips or bark-chips, and sometimes a sand or pea-gravel cushiony base.

Kcterry: said:
Garrett Atpro, Seahunter mk2, Ace 300, Apex arrived today.
The Apex should not have been classed with or associated with the 'Ace' series. It isn't an Ace design. If you haven't yet, give th Apex a good workout and time to prove itself. It's my most-grabbed detector and I have several popular makes and models that are with me in my Daily-Travel Team. I own two and keep different coils mounted for the various tasks I encounter.

Monte

John,

Sorry for a tardy reply. Just been too busy I guess. Both my Apex units start up in my Custom mode (Accepting everything from '20' on up) and Sensitivity max, Volume '8', Iron Volume '2' and in 'MF'. I have found the Multi-Flex operation to generally handle most sites well, but there are times I opt for the default '15' kHz or sometimes '20' kHz. Both to get a slight edge in performance, or to help counter some EMI in a few urban locations. I only use the Iron Audio function on occasion as a momentary target-check when I suspect a problem bottle cap or other ferrous-offender to be present.

Monte
I use the lower frequency for hunting silver coins. The multifrequency works best for our Canadian coins, as the newer ones can often times be a challenge to find. I sometimes have to turn on my iron audio and do a depth check. If it's really shallow, I dig it.

Back
Top Bottom