key date Merc!

BuscaPlata

Forum Supporter
Went out yesterday with my old Sovereign again and picked up 5 wheat and a Rosie. Went out today and was only able to hit on one wheat, but while going back to the car I am swinging away on the old faithful and I get a solid 180 on the Sun Ray DTI II. Dig out this beautiful 1921 D Merc, with excellent detail. And I had no idea it was a key date untill I text my hunting buddies Silver Bullet and Michdig who couldn't make it out there today.....good thing too:lol: I might of lost out on this one:lol:, Michdig let me know it was a key date. Wow! some of those are worth a bit of dough.

Attachments

• 10,25,2020.jpg
    10,25,2020.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 559
  • 10,25,20.jpg
    10,25,20.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 542
Nice looking Merc!
Thanks Dj, for a key date I am very happy with this one.

And it’s great condition!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks cw, This Michigan soil is very forgiving with our silver,
looks like it was dropped yesterday.

Sharp looking Merc - what’s it worth?

Congrats on the nice hunt!
Thanks GS, Not sure what it's worth but I googled the 1921 D Merc's and I saw an awful really worn out looking one, and they wanted 40 for it. So hoping mine is worth at least 3 times that or more.

Excellent! I’d place the value of that 21 D merc in the hundreds of dollars. It’s a low mintage date of around 1 million pieces, next to the 16 D merc at around a quarter million. It appears to be in excellent condition. Congrats!

That’s a good year,key date for mercs,slq and walking halves, Congrats on the save.
Thanks woodbutcher, I didn't know that date was good for the slq's and walkers too.

Sharp detail on that merc especially for its age. Extra congrats!
Thanks JAK, the detail was the first thing I noticed, and if I would of known it was a key date I would been dancing all over the place but since I didn't, I just said, nice looking merc.

Thanks t2s, That's what I said after I found out it was a key date.

Excellent! I’d place the value of that 21 D merc in the hundreds of dollars. It’s a low mintage date of around 1 million pieces, next to the 16 D merc at around a quarter million. It appears to be in excellent condition. Congrats!

Thanks amc, I saw some that looked like about what I got, and were going for 250, some for a lot more.

That's a super looking '21D Merc, BP ! Congrats on that beauty...

Without a closer, sharper photo, the grade appears to be around Extremely Fine (XF-40) or perhaps better. The value would be greatly diminished if you have rubbed the soil off and created very fine scratches, but you didn't say whether or how you had cleaned it and the photos don't show me that level of detail. Any pricing you might see for this coin, in any condition, are most likely for "RETAIL" value. Until you get an expert opinion, avoid cleaning it in any way, except a rinse and pat dry.

My guess at an XF-40 grade is based on the photos in the PCGS CoinFacts App.
I also have taken a Coin Grading course given by a dealer here in Massachusetts but that was more than 25 years ago.

A couple of coin value sites with the 1921 D Merc dime prices.

https://www.coinworld.com/coinvalues/dime/1921-winged-liberty-head-mercury-dime.html

http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/prices/mrcdim/pricesgd.shtml

Last edited:
Key date!:dingding:
Thanks metaladdict!

Nice work! Love that silver!
Thank you!

That's a super looking '21D Merc, BP ! Congrats on that beauty...
Without a closer, sharper photo, the grade appears to be around Extremely Fine (XF-40) or perhaps better. The value would be greatly diminished if you have rubbed the soil off and created very fine scratches, but you didn't say whether or how you had cleaned it and the photos don't show me that level of detail. Any pricing you might see for this coin, in any condition, are most likely for "RETAIL" value. Until you get an expert opinion, avoid cleaning it in any way, except a rinse and pat dry.

My guess at an XF-40 grade is based on the photos in the PCGS CoinFacts App.
I also have taken a Coin Grading course given by a dealer here in Massachusetts but that was more than 25 years ago.

A couple of coin value sites with the 1921 D Merc dime prices.

https://www.coinworld.com/coinvalues/dime/1921-winged-liberty-head-mercury-dime.html

http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/prices/mrcdim/pricesgd.shtml
Thanks jimther, I just rinsed it and lightly brushed it with a soft brush, probably wasn't the right thing to do, with the brush I mean. Thanks for the info. I'll probably take it to a pawn shop I go to quite often for silver for the rings that I make and see what he thinks.

Awesome dig! I'm always hoping for a decent key date coin like that.

Thanks Foragist, I hope you know your key dates better than I cause I had no idea, if I had, I probably would of been more careful with it.

Thanks metaladdict!

Thank you!

Thanks jimther, I just rinsed it and lightly brushed it with a soft brush, probably wasn't the right thing to do, with the brush I mean. Thanks for the info. I'll probably take it to a pawn shop I go to quite often for silver for the rings that I make and see what he thinks.

Yikes... are pawn shop owners known for their numismatic expertise and coin valuation knowledge ???

If you decide to still do that, please also show it to a local coin dealer or two. Protect it by placing in a 2x2 mount at least, to keep anyone you show it to from rubbing or damaging it.

Back
Top Bottom