Trident or Neptune CF scoop shaft?

StevePcola

Forum Supporter
I have been hitting the beach for the past couple of weeks, with fair success (but no gold, only silver). I have an ATMax, which seems like a poor machine for salt water hunting. But I am eyeballing a couple of PI machines or the Equinox 800 for actually getting in the water. So I'm going to front-load that goal by ordering a scoop.

To be honest, I borrowed a friend's RTG stainless scoop and that sumgun about wore me out the first 2-3 times I used it. Felt like I was carrying two bags of flour around, and I couldn't drag it behind me or it would fill up with sand. The last 4-5 times that I've gone, I took my NX-6 and I swear that I can find wet or dry sand targets more quickly with my shovel than anybody with a scoop. I also use my Garrett Carrot. Nobody that I have met down at the beach uses a pinpointer. No idea why, because it intuitively makes better sense than kicking around sand and guessing.

Anyway. I'm angling towards an Xtreme Surfmaster X3 in Marine 314 (or 316, as listed on the website), but I'm wondering what the differences are between the Trident CF handles and Neptune handles. Can anybody provide any insights here?

I did search the forum, but found no results that mattered. If anybody can post a link to a helpful thread, I would appreciate it.

I never carry a pin pointer with me on the beach. Once the target is out of the hole I use the scoop to pick it up. shake the sand out of the scoop and target is in hand.

Those RTG scoops are great, just out dated being they weight 7 and 8 pounds. I gave mine away....

Pinpointers have there place but not on the beach. I started using one when I first started water hunting, but in time you find you can do the job as well without. I never liked them also for they interfered with the detector.

I think either carbon fiber would would be Ok, I use chucks with the 720. One thing on the scoop, spend the extra dollars and get the smaller holes to catch the little stuff.

The Trident shafts material is actually a little thicker. Making it more heavy duty. That also means the diameter is slightly larger. If you have small hands it could be a problem gripping. Also filled with foam. I use a 9x13 monster scoop. It's very heavy with wet sand. Also a grab handle. Larger 5/8 inch holes. Rarely ever will I "shake" the scoop out. I dig , flip the sand out while I swing it backwards. Leaving a 1-2 ft swath of sand. Not a pile. Scan detector over it. Maybe 1 or 2 short soccer style kicks and I've isolated the target. Very easy and fast with a little practice. Some smaller targets will fall through , but that's what a magnet is for. Most smaller targets like that I don't want anyway. GL

I never carry a pin pointer with me on the beach. Once the target is out of the hole I use the scoop to pick it up. shake the sand out of the scoop and target is in hand.

In the wet sand, especially, shaking the scoop takes a lot of energy. I've watched a lot of videos of people that obviously have a lot of beach hunting experience, and they use the method that you describe. I rarely miss a target when popping a plug in dirt, but targets aren't where I think they are on the beach...I usually overshoot them. No idea why, but I have mentally pulled back my "X" when I go to retrieve.

Those RTG scoops are great, just out dated being they weight 7 and 8 pounds. I gave mine away....

Pinpointers have there place but not on the beach. I started using one when I first started water hunting, but in time you find you can do the job as well without. I never liked them also for they interfered with the detector.

I think either carbon fiber would would be Ok, I use chucks with the 720. One thing on the scoop, spend the extra dollars and get the smaller holes to catch the little stuff.

The smaller holes on the Surf-Master X3 extend up the sides a bit, which I imagine make a (good) difference. The RTG scoop that I borrowed had fairly large holes throughout, which allowed earrings to pass easily through. No idea why, but I find more earrings than anything else.

The Trident shafts material is actually a little thicker. Making it more heavy duty. That also means the diameter is slightly larger. If you have small hands it could be a problem gripping. Also filled with foam. I use a 9x13 monster scoop. It's very heavy with wet sand. Also a grab handle. Larger 5/8 inch holes. Rarely ever will I "shake" the scoop out. I dig , flip the sand out while I swing it backwards. Leaving a 1-2 ft swath of sand. Not a pile. Scan detector over it. Maybe 1 or 2 short soccer style kicks and I've isolated the target. Very easy and fast with a little practice. Some smaller targets will fall through , but that's what a magnet is for. Most smaller targets like that I don't want anyway. GL

Thanks for the description of your technique, KOB. I have large hands to go with my 6'4" frame, so I shouldn't have an issue with the diameter of the handle, as long as it fits the scoop. :D And I am definitely getting the "grab handle" option...that looks *ahem* handy.

I've been using (8 years) the RTG 6" Aluminum scoop, total weight is 4lbs. I recently got the Sito 8" S/S and put a wood handle on it, also 4lbs total weight.

X3 / cf handle

I have the Surf MasterX3 in 304 with the Anderson cf, my next Cf handle will be a Trident, because it is suposed to be 1 inch longer, and the textured grip inlayed into the handle, a nice feature , waiting on the Titanium scoop coming out from Xtreme , the 316 Marine grade look's nice , the X3 should do you well in Florida sugarsand , it's good up here in the wet and water , the X1 would be my all around pick for here as the dry sand its not so good for drainage , as your area you should have no problem in dry sand , hope i have helped you, Earl

I've been using (8 years) the RTG 6" Aluminum scoop, total weight is 4lbs. I recently got the Sito 8" S/S and put a wood handle on it, also 4lbs total weight.

I would have never considered 4 pounds much of a burden, before beach hunting. The scoop that I borrowed from my friend is the stainless RTG with the...um...whatever the smaller handle is called that sticks up at 90 degrees on the main handle. No idea what that thing weighs, but two hours at a stretch was my limit. Whatever the weight is, I promise it is more than your aluminum scoop's 4 pounds. Maybe double that! :D

I have the Surf MasterX3 in 304 with the Anderson cf, my next Cf handle will be a Trident, because it is suposed to be 1 inch longer, and the textured grip inlayed into the handle, a nice feature , waiting on the Titanium scoop coming out from Xtreme , the 316 Marine grade look's nice , the X3 should do you well in Florida sugarsand , it's good up here in the wet and water , the X1 would be my all around pick for here as the dry sand its not so good for drainage , as your area you should have no problem in dry sand , hope i have helped you, Earl

Earl, thanks! I have been reading a lot of your posts on this sub-forum the past month or so. You have the knowledge and experience that is valuable to beach-hunting noobs like me. I appreciate your advice on the Trident handle, and that is what I will go with.

I actually contacted John at Xtreme Scoops less than two weeks ago, asking about the titanium version. Here is what he said:

We don’t have the numbers yet on the Titanium X3...we are in the process of development, and expect to have a prototype out in the next two -three weeks... there are number things we are going to want to validate on this new material including the welding and the actual durability of a titanium scoop.

I kind of want to wait for it, but I am going to go ahead and get the marine grade stainless version of the X3.

Thanks again, Earl!

Thanks

For the update from Xtreme , let me know how the 316 Marine Grade Stainless is, curious myself as all my scoop's are 304 ss , except 2 aluminum , OBN said Titanium is light & strong, but if the weld's brake it can be expensive to fix, if it comes with the same 10 year warranty , ill be all over it, next investment is a AQ Impulse , wait and see , i will tell you the Trident CF will be on the Goose Neck on the Titanium , keep us posted , and give us some picks bro., happy hunting, Earl

For the update from Xtreme , let me know how the 316 Marine Grade Stainless is, curious myself as all my scoop's are 304 ss , except 2 aluminum , OBN said Titanium is light & strong, but if the weld's brake it can be expensive to fix, if it comes with the same 10 year warranty , ill be all over it, next investment is a AQ Impulse , wait and see , i will tell you the Trident CF will be on the Goose Neck on the Titanium , keep us posted , and give us some picks bro., happy hunting, Earl

Earl, I ordered the X3 in Marine 316 about an hour ago with the Trident handle. Got confirmation from John that he will ship Monday. I will let you know how it goes when I get it. I didn't order the extra 90-degree handle...seems most folks don't use it anyway, or it gets in the way. If I need to, that is pretty inexpensive to order after the fact.

I have the X3 in in the 316 stainless, you'll be very happy with it. I also like the Trident slightly better than the Anderson CF simply because it is a textured carbon fiber and helps with the grip. The titaniums coming soon are going to be pretty pricey but I will pick one up when he gets the X3 outfitted in it. The first ones are going to be the rounded nose style scoops which I don't prefer so I'm gonna wait for an X3 style titanium.

Sounds

Good guy's , titanium rounded lip, might work for me here, no rocks , i have plenty scoops all 304, the 316 look's nice , however one titanium could be next , after the AQ , happy hunting , Earl

Earl, I ordered the X3 in Marine 316 about an hour ago with the Trident handle. Got confirmation from John that he will ship Monday. I will let you know how it goes when I get it. I didn't order the extra 90-degree handle...seems most folks don't use it anyway, or it gets in the way. If I need to, that is pretty inexpensive to order after the fact.

Steve, I’ve never used an auxiliary grip before, but put the Motus grip on my Trident because others spoke highly of it...now I wouldn’t go without it! It’s super easy to put on and take off, and so strong you can stand on it! It makes lifting and shaking out the scoop a lot easier. It also gives you a reference point for which way your scoop is pointing in murky water. It’s smooth and slippery when wet, but roughing it up with coarse sandpaper is a permanent fix for that.

Did he say Magnet? I rarely dig a piece of IRON.... so the stuff i do dig dont stick to a magnet. Not to mention you are always replacing them .... or cleaning them off. I dont dig everything or id own a PI. Guess im cheap there..... odd because i like a good scoop or detector no mater the price. BUT.... when it comes to a handle ive still got a HOLE handle with a wooden dowel in the bottom for $20 that has lasted me 7 years thus far. They are lighter..... but man getting off that much cash is like selling off gold..........hard.:lol: Im not one for a PPer either. Most are PI and affect the detector....... then you loose um no matter what color they are..... then they have to be waterproof...... and to me takes more time than PPing with the detector its self. IF that target is sooooo small ive got my face to the ground and cant see yellow..... im moving on.

Steve, I’ve never used an auxiliary grip before, but put the Motus grip on my Trident because others spoke highly of it...now I wouldn’t go without it! It’s super easy to put on and take off, and so strong you can stand on it! It makes lifting and shaking out the scoop a lot easier. It also gives you a reference point for which way your scoop is pointing in murky water. It’s smooth and slippery when wet, but roughing it up with coarse sandpaper is a permanent fix for that.

I still haven't actually gotten in the water, Mike. The ATMax doesn't like it, as far as I can tell. I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on the Nox800, though...been watching videos and it seems like that machine can handle the mineralization of the Gulf. When I get one, I will get that Motus grip, for sure. Thanks for the feedback!

Did he say Magnet? I rarely dig a piece of IRON.... so the stuff i do dig dont stick to a magnet. Not to mention you are always replacing them .... or cleaning them off. I dont dig everything or id own a PI. Guess im cheap there..... odd because i like a good scoop or detector no mater the price. BUT.... when it comes to a handle ive still got a HOLE handle with a wooden dowel in the bottom for $20 that has lasted me 7 years thus far. They are lighter..... but man getting off that much cash is like selling off gold..........hard.:lol: Im not one for a PPer either. Most are PI and affect the detector....... then you loose um no matter what color they are..... then they have to be waterproof...... and to me takes more time than PPing with the detector its self. IF that target is sooooo small ive got my face to the ground and cant see yellow..... im moving on.

I don't have a scoop right now, but I don't mind spending the $ on one with a lighter and stronger handle, Dew. I don't want to buy something like I have borrowed from my friend and have to upgrade and spend more $ later.

Pretty sure that I will still use my pinpointer on wet or dry sand. No way, even with 5,000 hours of experience, someone could find a target quicker without one. And I have never once lost mine in the 14 months that I have been beeping...

I still haven't actually gotten in the water, Mike. The ATMax doesn't like it, as far as I can tell. I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on the Nox800, though...been watching videos and it seems like that machine can handle the mineralization of the Gulf. When I get one, I will get that Motus grip, for sure. Thanks for the feedback!

I don't have a scoop right now, but I don't mind spending the $ on one with a lighter and stronger handle, Dew. I don't want to buy something like I have borrowed from my friend and have to upgrade and spend more $ later.

Pretty sure that I will still use my pinpointer on wet or dry sand. No way, even with 5,000 hours of experience, someone could find a target quicker without one. And I have never once lost mine in the 14 months that I have been beeping...

Wet sand is a little different than dirt. Wetsand you can give the sand pile a quick soccer kick and see the target much faster. Bending over pinpointing 100s of targets a hunt is going to get really boring really quickly.. not to mention the wear and tear on your body.

If the trade dispute ever ends I'll start selling the 51" Carbon fiber shafts again.

In the wet sand, especially, shaking the scoop takes a lot of energy.
Really, alot of energy? That takes like 2 seconds...

Energy ? 2 seconds ? Hahaha...
You must not have much experience in wet sand. Try 300-400 monster scoops of wet sand over 5 hrs. 3 days in a row. Then report back to us ( or the doctor) how your arm and shoulder feels.

Wet sand compacts in the scoop. You don't just shake it out. You either dump the full bucket or with a proper assist handle you can dip it and flush it out.

I hunt the water, shaking a scoop out in the water takes 2 seconds.
Kob, I hunt plenty hard and feel it after like all of us do...

Back
Top Bottom