Grill #2 Gold # 13

Joshc214

Got in a quick evening hunt last night after work. We had scattered thunderstorms in our area, but I figured, worst case scenario I could hunt the wet sand if there was lightning. I started hunting around 5 and by 6 I'd only found a rusty bottle cap in the water. At around 6:30 what looked like a tropical storm pulled right over top of me bringing lightning and torrential downpours chasing me out of the water.

I decided to make the best of it and hiked down the beach looking for a decent cut in the wet sand. Ended up finding a nice low area in the beach with a 10 foot drop from the dry to the wet sand. There were literally thousands of signals so I decided to only dig the low signals with Nox. After pulling around 30 nickles and a few pull tabs I pulled the gold grill. The numbers on it were really low, hit around a 4.

I doubt if I was using my old excal I would've ever found gold on this hunt... definitely had an advantage with Nox.

For all of those concerned: I've handed the grill over the local police station lost/found, posted it on facebook, craigslist, ring finder websites... I even created a website lostgrill.com. If it takes me a lifetime I'm going to do my best to hunt down the rapper who lost this grill and return it to him!

I now have both an upper and lower grill... I've nicknamed this find Snaggletooth :lol:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 568
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 546
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 527
Last edited:
My apologies if you took my previous post the wrong way. I was asking a simple question not just of you but of all the board. Mark and I have this discussion all the time about tracking down owners. As I said, whatever people do with their finds is their business and there is no wrong or right.

My apologies if you took my previous post the wrong way. I was asking a simple question not just of you but of all the board. Mark and I have this discussion all the time about tracking down owners. As I said, whatever people do with their finds is their business and there is no wrong or right.

No apologies necessary, I didn't take offense to it at all... just seems every post I upload, especially the 4.25 carat ring, gets questions about what I'm planning on doing with it. I guess by posting anything on here you're opening yourself up to that sort of debate. And then there's the legalities of it all...

I NEVER return anything that isn't personally marked, unless I was intentionally looking for a lost item for someone. That's my take. Don't pay attention to the naysayers, they are your recoveries, do as you wish! To each there own, nice finds either way, your killing it down there!

Congrats on the grill. Any chance of a photo of the pull tabs? I'm very curious to see which 1s sound like a gold signal.

Were there a ton of people giving you a hard time behind the scenes about some of your finds?

Gold is gold and it all counts, regardless what form it comes in. Congrats on the score! :)

Thanks man!

I NEVER return anything that isn't personally marked, unless I was intentionally looking for a lost item for someone. That's my take. Don't pay attention to the naysayers, they are your recoveries, do as you wish! To each there own, nice finds either way, your killing it down there!

Glad I'm not the only one :) I also return items that are personally marked, but otherwise it's going in the pirate chest. Trying to keep up this gold streak I've been having!

Congrats on the grill. Any chance of a photo of the pull tabs? I'm very curious to see which 1s sound like a gold signal.

Were there a ton of people giving you a hard time behind the scenes about some of your finds?

Lol, basically every pull tab rings in at 12-13, same with nickles... they always sound too good to be true. I've figured out how to avoid the bottlecaps with Nox though, signals that bounce around from 12-20 are 99% of the time a rusted bottle cap.

Yeah, I received quite a few private messages. That's partially why I took down the images. I'd like to see some posts of people returning rings that have no markings whatsoever (that wasn't told where to find it from the person who lost it)? Every return I've seen has been a class ring with the persons name on it.

congrats! I like finding grills because there is no way I'll keep them! lol I"ve found 3 in the last month or so. The smallest one is almost exactly the size of yours....found with the excal. I watched a guy make a minefield of the beach with his Nox….and I found this in between his dig holes. I use both machines and honestly only feel the Nox is better and finding bits of small gold.

Attachments

• grills.jpg
    grills.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 507
Thanks man!

Glad I'm not the only one :) I also return items that are personally marked, but otherwise it's going in the pirate chest. Trying to keep up this gold streak I've been having!

Lol, basically every pull tab rings in at 12-13, same with nickles... they always sound too good to be true. I've figured out how to avoid the bottlecaps with Nox though, signals that bounce around from 12-20 are 99% of the time a rusted bottle cap.

Yeah, I received quite a few private messages. That's partially why I took down the images. I'd like to see some posts of people returning rings that have no markings whatsoever (that wasn't told where to find it from the person who lost it)? Every return I've seen has been a class ring with the persons name on it.

Some people just cant stand seeing someone else succeed. Some of these rings could have been lost 20 years ago. Or by tourists from abroad (check out the foreign coins posted).

I've figured out how to avoid the bottlecaps with Nox though, signals that bounce around from 12-20 are 99% of the time a rusted bottle cap.

Another easy way to tell if it is a bottle cap is to put the unit in 10 freq and if it jumps from say 12-16 to 20+ it is definitely a bottle cap.

Excellent Grill !!
Does it Fit?

congrats! I like finding grills because there is no way I'll keep them! lol I"ve found 3 in the last month or so. The smallest one is almost exactly the size of yours....found with the excal. I watched a guy make a minefield of the beach with his Nox….and I found this in between his dig holes. I use both machines and honestly only feel the Nox is better and finding bits of small gold.

Thanks Cntry, grills do seem to be a common find... my largest one was 7 grams of 14k that I found with my excal a couple years back.

That's a nice collection you've got lol

Some people just cant stand seeing someone else succeed. Some of these rings could have been lost 20 years ago. Or by tourists from abroad (check out the foreign coins posted).

I question how old many of the gold rings I find are... you never can tell with gold, looks the same 20 years later as the day it went in, especially with higher karat finds.

Another easy way to tell if it is a bottle cap is to put the unit in 10 freq and if it jumps from say 12-16 to 20+ it is definitely a bottle cap.

Excellent Grill !!
Does it Fit?

Thanks for the tip! And I have no clue... don't plan on finding out if they fit lol

Congrats on the gold!

Thanks Twiz!

Nice save Josh!! As bad as the are still a nice find!

congrats! I like finding grills because there is no way I'll keep them! lol .
I agree, I have a little pile of Fisher "AQ" financing gold ready to send in..3 grills..:lol:

:dingding: Where's your picture modeling both sets of grillz? :lol: I was out yesterday and conditions were not good for me. I did manage an excellent pair of polarized Raybans (and some scratched Gucci's. :( )

:dingding: Where's your picture modeling both sets of grillz? :lol: I was out yesterday and conditions were not good for me. I did manage an excellent pair of polarized Raybans (and some scratched Gucci's. :( )

I only wear platinum grillz... :laughing:

It's been really sanded in up here as well. Only reason I found anything is lightning chased me out of the water forcing me to do my first wet sand hunt of the year. I took off work tomorrow to get in a full day hunt, hoping the south winds we're getting today push some sand around.

No apologies necessary, I didn't take offense to it at all... just seems every post I upload, especially the 4.25 carat ring, gets questions about what I'm planning on doing with it. I guess by posting anything on here you're opening yourself up to that sort of debate. And then there's the legalities of it all...

Nobody here should be pressured to do anything other than the law requires. Even the Metal Detectors Ethics (posted by Fisher) don't suggest otherwise:
https://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/code-of-ethics.htm
ETHICAL GUIDELINES

1. Always check Federal, State and local laws regarding metal detecting before searching.
2. Respect land owners and always obtain permission before entering private property.
3. Always use proper recovery methods. Fill all holes and do no damage.
4. Always take your trash with you; leave the area better than you found it.
5. Appreciate and protect our heritage of natural resources, wildlife and private property.
6. As an ambassador of the sport, use thoughtfulness, consideration and courtesy at all times.
7. Never damage or remove any historically significant or archeological treasures.
8. Always leave gates as found, and never tamper with signs or equipment.
9. Do not destroy property, buildings, or what is left of any deserted ghost towns or structures.​

Bottom line is, most metal detectorists are here to find and KEEP stuff. Great for those that don't care to, but this Friendly Forum shouldn't be subjected to it. I left another forum over how I was treated after finding (and keeping) a gold ring. It was suggested I was a thief, my ethics were poor, and the straw that broke me, was when a poster flat out told me I was a lousy parent for teaching my kids to "keep stuff that didn't belong to me." Why? it was a class ring. So what? It had been lost at least a dozen years prior. If the owner wanted it, they could have detected the field themselves. I followed the law to the letter, posted it with a description for a week, and kept it when they didn't respond back in 30 days.

I'm still pissed over how I was treated, and if it ever happens here, I'll be gone, too. I like the club, but no metal detectorist needs to be harassed over keeping finds that are LEGALLY theirs. ESPECIALLY by other detectorists on a Metal Detecting FORUM! :shock:

I've gotten two rings back that weren't immediate losses... (got quite a few of those). One of them was grateful, the other didn't care a lick (both were class rings). Frankly, I love the great return stories as much as the next person, but I'm out there to TREASURE HUNT. $2,000-$4,000 a year keeps me in the hobby!

It drives me nuts that in Metal Detecting Forum people try to push their own philosophy as the only "right way." Great if you want to go spend 100 hours to find the owner. Great if it's a great experience for you. Me? It's mine, if you don't claim it within the required 30 days.

To those who do this: We don't want to hear you say "You should find the owner and give it back" when a find is posted. If you want to say that, say it in your OWN thread.

Skippy

Back
Top Bottom