Equinox Waterproof

TheCoilist

Elite Member
My AT pro is definitely waterproof and I had no trouble knowing that when buying and the depth.

The equinox says it’s waterproof. Great. I can’t find official documentation for the depth, is it 10ft like the AT pro?

Any other advice on taking this machine in the water? Any ports that should be extra cautious about, etc? And one more question. I don’t have waterproof headphones for it as I have not been using the headphones at all. Will the minelab vibrate or anything when a target is hit when it’s under water?

Can I still use the stock headphones (not waterproof) as long as they don’t get submerged? OR will the bluetooth headphones still work through the water?

Thanks!!

Yes, 10 feet just like the AT Pro. I don't have any waterproof phones either but have used my 800 in the water a couple of times with the Bluetooth phones and the signal gets lost as soon as the unit is submerged, if there is any vibration when a signal is detected I didn't feel it.

Good to know!

I’m assuming the standard headphones can work if not submerged. I’m not sure if the ‘waterproof’ headphones have a special jack connection or something. The ATPRO has a screw on (w o-ring) connection to prevent water penetration.

Good to know!

I’m assuming the standard headphones can work if not submerged. I’m not sure if the ‘waterproof’ headphones have a special jack connection or something. The ATPRO has a screw on (w o-ring) connection to prevent water penetration.

Here is a pic for the connector at the end of the waterproof headphones. It threads in the back to help seal it.
I have never used this product but here is a couple links that may give you some help.
https://www.ebay.com/i/192907411485...eDtCFUB-NQWsVGbXobsKf7S7GGPPR7K8aAtmDEALw_wcB

https://www.ebay.com/i/192894764122...4%26rvr_ts%3D9f81d87616a0aa416b442f9fffe23fba

Attachments

• IMG_20190509_220128.jpg
    IMG_20190509_220128.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 626
Most machines that advertise waterproof are only waterproof to 10 ft. This is because of the increased pressure forces on the machine as you go deeper. Machines made for diving like the excal have to have additional measures and testing to survive such pressure increases.

Correct. But my curiosity is more related to the headphone connection. If the standard headphones that come with the equinox could be used if the jack only was submerged. It appears not to be the case if the waterproof headphones use an o-ring and threaded connection.

The headphones included do not have the threaded connection. This is where minelab seemed to screw up. The ATPro non-waterproof headphones come with a threaded connection and can be used in water as long as the headphones are not submerged.

Minelab provides only a mini jack on the headphones. Quite obviously to push their waterproof line.

Don't use the phones that come with the 600 for submerged hunting. They aren't waterproof. You need phones designed for submerging and have the Minelab plug end. Ear buds need to be above the water for the Bluetooth to work.

If you are going to be detecting in the ocean then be very careful or you will ruin non waterproof headphones. I do not know how many times I have had a rogue wave knock me on my backside. Had I been wearing headphones that were not waterproof I might have ruined them.

Just took the nox out in the water yesterday. But only knee deep. Lol

I figured I better test the machine in the water before getting too concerned with headphones. I made a few finds, but just not confident the NOX will be my go to beach/water machine.

I’m doing freshwater these days. No longer living on the gulf coast. BUT the waves in the Great Lakes can rival those in the Gulf of Mexico any day.

I ordered the LS.Pelso ones. As long as not staying submerged underwater, they looked to be the best and loudest for wading.

Back
Top Bottom