HUGE cut exposes some gold!

sandgroper

Elite Member
It's been quite windy here in Perth lately, and the swell has been quite high over the past few days (up to 20ft on some days), so our beaches have copped a battering. Dad went down to a local beach today (at a beach where a few years back he found over 300 coins, some of them silver, where a strong storm took away a lot of sand). In the hour he spent down there he got a few old coins (including three silvers), including a 1943 Jefferson nickel, which we later found out was 50% silver.

So anyway, as soon as school was over, he told me of his success and half an hour later we were down at the beach, where we were greeted by huge cuts (I'm talking up to 10ft!) We even had to carve a stair to get up and down! My first signal was a 50c coin. The next signal was a 12:23 at 17cm (which is normally a 20c coin), however to my surprise I saw a gold rim in the sand! It felt quite light at first, but after wiping the sand away I could see the hallmark (9ct). Gold number 3 for the year! :) The next hour was spent digging up mostly coins, and I ended with just over $17.

I also dug up a silver florin which is having a vinegar bath at the moment. Not sure if I can count it as my find, as dad called me over so I can give him my opinion of a choppy signal (he calls me over quite often so I can give him my opinion on signals). The CTX picked it up quite well, and it took me a while to get it out too (was at least 15in deep!).

Anyway, I hoping to get back there tomorrow because these huge cuts don't appear often. Thanks for looking, and good luck out there!

Attachments

• IMG_2512.jpg
    IMG_2512.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,242
  • IMG_2513.jpg
    IMG_2513.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,179
Congratz on the gold. Next time get pix of the beach cuts as well. Love in-situ pix ! :cool:

Did you do the gold dance?

Very nice m8!!!!

Matt.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

No I didn't, but I should've! :laughing:

Beautiful find!! Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks slider! :grin:

Congrats on the gold, nice band! Gold is my favorite thing to see come out of the ground/sand!

Thanks, I agree with you! :yes:

Congratz on the gold. Next time get pix of the beach cuts as well. Love in-situ pix ! :cool:

Thanks! Didn't have my phone with me so I couldn't take any pictures. If I head down today I'll take a few photos. I've never seen a cut that big.

Nice one man, get back out there while it lasts!

Thanks, will definitely do! :)

Outstanding find and write up. GH.

Thank you! :grin:

Nice ring... Congrats

Thanks mate! :)

Awesome day and getting to spend it with your dad makes that much more memorable. Thanks for sharing the hunt with us.

:dingding:Congrats on a nice looking yellow! I would like to be able to hunt a nice cut like that one day.

Congratulations on that fine ring there SG! Cutting steps to get down into a cut with a sandscoop is one of the true joys in Life! Now THATS a cut!

A guy gets an idea of how Howard Carter must have felt going down into King Tuts tomb!!

Got some pictures this time. :) Uploaded them to this post.

Awesome day and getting to spend it with your dad makes that much more memorable. Thanks for sharing the hunt with us.

Thanks! Yes I quite like going with my dad, or even with someone else for that matter.

:dingding:Congrats on a nice looking yellow! I would like to be able to hunt a nice cut like that one day.

Thanks! Those large cuts appear here every few years, so dad and I always check out this section of the beach after a storm :)

Congratulations on that fine ring there SG! Cutting steps to get down into a cut with a sandscoop is one of the true joys in Life! Now THATS a cut!

A guy gets an idea of how Howard Carter must have felt going down into King Tuts tomb!!

Thanks! It's easy to just jump down the cut, but going back up is a real workout! :laughing:

It's not too late to do that 'gold dance'. Nice dig!!!

Thank you! :)

Headed out again for another hour and got a few more coins. Coin total for this eroded section stands at just over $24. Also got two more 50% silver threepences (which are soaking in vinegar with yesterday's florin). Also got a few pictures of the cut. The cuts in the picture are about 7ft high, because they were a bit taller than me (I'm a bit under 6ft), but you can see to the left in one of the pictures where the cuts get a lot larger. Might go for another quick hunt tomorrow, we'll see.

Attachments

• IMG_2515.jpg
    IMG_2515.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 927
  • IMG_2516.jpg
    IMG_2516.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 920
  • IMG_2517.jpg
    IMG_2517.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 928
Great stuff, love those huge cuts.

Me,I'd be camping there for sure until I had totally cleaned it out .. good luck on future hunts there.

Got some pictures this time. :) Uploaded them to this post....

thanx. Those are woodie-material for beach-erosion chasers, haha. But I can see how this cut is a few days old already. Because the sand at the base has already softened up. Footprints are sunk in, etc...

Ideally it would be hard to the step. Meaning soft sand had never been allowed to pile on top of the recent erosion. But .... It's hard to argue with results. Seems like you got more stuff no problem ! Thanx for the added pix :cool:

Back
Top Bottom