A First for me and a question

melbajoe

Forum Supporter
Took the excal for a swim today and after getting a nice tone about 2 hours in out comes this mellow yellow heart ring marked 22k. Now I always remove the lower shaft from the middle section to rinse it out and spray it with silicone. Well today I can’t get it apart -it’s frozen solid. Hammer and wood block, water , wd40. Nothing. Even put 2 screwdrivers into each shaft and tried to turn but the lower carbon fiber shaft hole started getting messed up. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Joe

Attachments

• 0B8B5FE1-7514-4695-A131-D32830533012.jpg
    0B8B5FE1-7514-4695-A131-D32830533012.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 592
Will it fit in a freezer? Dry it out then freeze for a few hours so it shrinks. If that doesn't work they the opposite. Boiling water with dishwasher soap or oven set really really low

Last edited:
Let her stay stuck, Mine has been frozen on both of mine for a few years now.

And Very nice Gold!

Took the excal for a swim today and after getting a nice tone about 2 hours in out comes this mellow yellow heart ring marked 22k. Now I always remove the lower shaft from the middle section to rinse it out and spray it with silicone. Well today I can’t get it apart -it’s frozen solid. Hammer and wood block, water , wd40. Nothing. Even put 2 screwdrivers into each shaft and tried to turn but the lower carbon fiber shaft hole started getting messed up. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Joe

I run a drill bit through the shaft just above the coil...then you can run water into the top and flush the entire shaft from the inside out.

:dingding:Nice color to that one - congrats!

Mine are frozen like yours Joe.....most of us just dont care and dont travel with the machine except to the local beaches. I do try to keep the Nox and MDT ones clear. My MDT ALMOST froze the other day. Took a bit of shoving and pounding to get her loose.

Let me see ..... Torch...... ummm new CF shaft...... stop using it..... am i helping Joe?:lol:

Im surprised..... ive hunted with you and you ALWAYS take it apart and clean it. Shouldnt be anything to make it freeze up. I also have a hole in my lower shaft to allow water and sand to get out as i leave the water. Is there a spring clip in it..... if so get rid of um. They RUST inside. Sounds like the CF INSIDE has swollen. Must be really close ID and OD. Warm water might do the trick...... bring it to Fl..... we have LOTS of WARM WATER.

Niceeeeeeeeeeeeee on the 22K..... me like.

Sweet ring, i miss hearing those excal tones...
I would just leave the shafts stuck, they won't wobble that way...

Nice buttery 22k!! :cool3:

Once it happens leave them frozen. My AT Pro shafts seem to fuze together instantly as soon as they get wet.
It's a good excuse to #1 buy another machine just for land hunting and

#2 Nobody can borrow your machine!

;)

I can't add to the tech advice question, but just wanted to concur with everyone else here : Nice gold. 22k is not a common find here in the USA.

Mine are frozen like yours Joe.....most of us just dont care and dont travel with the machine except to the local beaches. I do try to keep the Nox and MDT ones clear. My MDT ALMOST froze the other day. Took a bit of shoving and pounding to get her loose.

Let me see ..... Torch...... ummm new CF shaft...... stop using it..... am i helping Joe?:lol:

Im surprised..... ive hunted with you and you ALWAYS take it apart and clean it. Shouldnt be anything to make it freeze up. I also have a hole in my lower shaft to allow water and sand to get out as i leave the water. Is there a spring clip in it..... if so get rid of um. They RUST inside. Sounds like the CF INSIDE has swollen. Must be really close ID and OD. Warm water might do the trick...... bring it to Fl..... we have LOTS of WARM WATER.

Niceeeeeeeeeeeeee on the 22K..... me like.
thanks for those sugestions Dew, torch, new shaft and stop using- very thoughtful:laughing:

😂 what are friends for but to give worthless advice no one follows. Next hunt Try taking it apart in the water. Does yours have a lock on it? Could be your issue.

I take a shower with my detector every couple of days.
Please remember this a "family oriented" website and this kinky stuff might get you banned! :lol: Are you trying to beat Surfmaster (Earl) that sleeps with his scoops and detectors? :laughing:

Felix just what is kinky about sleeping with your detector. Well my xcal does reside in my bed room when it is not actively searching the beach. It seems to like sleeping with me. '

You want to get a can of "Kroil" penetrating oil. Comes in a orange can.

Machinists use it to unfreeze frozen bolts. It eats corrosion.

Back
Top Bottom