Silver rings and record wheats

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
I got permission over the weekend to hunt an old country club that has been turned into a subdivision, and the club house and pro shop as office spaces. The grounds around the club house are fairly big, The 1st and 10th hole tee boxes are still there, along with the driving range berm and the putting green. Theres a lot to hunt there and keep me busy as long as the owners will let me come when its convenient. Im also thinking that its virgin dirt :yes:

I started out today with random patterns between high traffic areas, and open places that people dont frequent. I was really surprised by the number of wheats I found (13) which is a personal best for me during a single hunt (The oldest is a 1919)

IMG_0876.jpg

One of the silver rings was found on the side of the club house, while the larger ring was near the #1 tee box. The smaller ring has the .925 mark and rang up as a 26-27, while the larger ring has no marking, but rang up 32-33 on the 800. I think its silver and an amateur jewelers project due to the way the metal appears.

IMG_0878.jpg

The ball mark was a nice find since I cant remember seeing one made of metal, and Im thinking its vintage. The Bittersweet golf club is located in Gurnee IL, so I think Ill send them a pic to see if I can get a better date on it. Not sure what the hammered token is. It looks like GREEN RIVER is embossed on one side, and a possible horse embossed on the other. Im curious what the hammering was for, and the reason for the several cut coins I found today.

IMG_0886.jpg

Thanks for looking, and HH!

Very nice finds. Congrats. Sounds like you have a good place to detect. There has got to be more waiting for you.

HD

I got permission over the weekend to hunt an old country club that has been turned into a subdivision, and the club house and pro shop as office spaces. The grounds around the club house are fairly big, The 1st and 10th hole tee boxes are still there, along with the driving range berm and the putting green. Theres a lot to hunt there and keep me busy as long as the owners will let me come when its convenient. Im also thinking that its virgin dirt :yes:

I started out today with random patterns between high traffic areas, and open places that people dont frequent. I was really surprised by the number of wheats I found (13) which is a personal best for me during a single hunt (The oldest is a 1919)

View attachment 445351

One of the silver rings was found on the side of the club house, while the larger ring was near the #1 tee box. The smaller ring has the .925 mark and rang up as a 26-27, while the larger ring has no marking, but rang up 32-33 on the 800. I think its silver and an amateur jewelers project due to the way the metal appears.

View attachment 445352

The ball mark was a nice find since I cant remember seeing one made of metal, and Im thinking its vintage. The Bittersweet golf club is located in Gurnee IL, so I think Ill send them a pic to see if I can get a better date on it. Not sure what the hammered token is. It looks like GREEN RIVER is embossed on one side, and a possible horse embossed on the other. Im curious what the hammering was for, and the reason for the several cut coins I found today.

View attachment 445353

Thanks for looking, and HH!
Nice finds......I can't tell from the photo but there are many Green River Whiskey items that have a horse on them. Possibly that's what you have.

Nice detective work. Good finds.. keep an eye out for Clubhouse blazer buttons.

Me and hunting partner, Worm, hit a closed 9 hole golf course every weekend last winter. The course dated from the '20s and had quite a few silver coins in it. Congrats on the rings and all the wheaties...it's just a matter of time before you start hitting silver after silver.

Some very fine hunting Tommy. Congrats on the Sterling rings and the pile of Wheat's. Golf courses cut the grass a lot more often and in a most cases shorter than conventional grounds. That will account for so many clipped or cut coins. Trapper

Very nice finds. Congrats. Sounds like you have a good place to detect. There has got to be more waiting for you.

HD

Thank you. It has a high probability of being virgin ground.

Nice finds......I can't tell from the photo but there are many Green River Whiskey items that have a horse on them. Possibly that's what you have.

Thank you. There is a Green River city south of me, but Im not sure if theyre related. Not sure why it was hammered like that either, or what they used. Found it near the old putting green.

with all those wheaties, you were over-due for a silver coin :cool3:

Thanks, perhaps the silvers will come out next time. :yes:

Nice detective work. Good finds.. keep an eye out for Clubhouse blazer buttons.

Thank you, and I hope so.

Me and hunting partner, Worm, hit a closed 9 hole golf course every weekend last winter. The course dated from the '20s and had quite a few silver coins in it. Congrats on the rings and all the wheaties...it's just a matter of time before you start hitting silver after silver.

Thank you. This is a rare opportunity around here! If you have any advice as to where to hunt the course part, send me a PM! The 9th hole, two tee boxes, putting green, and driving range berm are still there.

Some very fine hunting Tommy. Congrats on the Sterling rings and the pile of Wheat's. Golf courses cut the grass a lot more often and in a most cases shorter than conventional grounds. That will account for so many clipped or cut coins. Trapper

Thanks Trapper, going back later in the week to search for more. Lotsa acreage still there even though most of the course was sold to a housing development.

Thank you. It has a high probability of being virgin ground.

Thank you. There is a Green River city south of me, but Im not sure if theyre related. Not sure why it was hammered like that either, or what they used. Found it near the old putting green.

Thanks, perhaps the silvers will come out next time. :yes:

Thank you, and I hope so.

Thank you. This is a rare opportunity around here! If you have any advice as to where to hunt the course part, send me a PM! The 9th hole, two tee boxes, putting green, and driving range berm are still there.

Thanks Trapper, going back later in the week to search for more. Lotsa acreage still there even though most of the course was sold to a housing development.

I can tell where NOT to hunt and that is on the greens themselves. Years and years of sand getting added to them really buries any coins pretty deep. I did find some modern clad, but they were very deep. Best areas are around the greens and in the fairways leading up to the greens. Also didn't find much on the tees, but off to the sides where people wait their turn you'll have better luck.

I can tell where NOT to hunt and that is on the greens themselves. Years and years of sand getting added to them really buries any coins pretty deep. I did find some modern clad, but they were very deep. Best areas are around the greens and in the fairways leading up to the greens. Also didn't find much on the tees, but off to the sides where people wait their turn you'll have better luck.

Thanks, NC, Im heading back there tomorrow.

Very nice finds. Also very encouraging knowing you've got free reign to continue your search.

Anywhere people would have to go into their pockets seems like a good place to hunt. Think tee's and greens. Tee's to take out, well, a tee ;) And greens, to pull out a ball marker. Easy to see how coins and rings could be lost there.

GL & HH

Congrats on the silver rings, large wheat harvest and other cool finds. May you find as many silvers on your next hunt there!:yes:

Great silvers and love all the wheats! Congrats. I had the pleasure of hunting a similar situation and my buddies and I pulled a lot of silver out of it.
Go back and try around tee off points and especially around any score card or ball washing stands. I found a diamond ring and a gold ring around those. Thats where people were likely to take their gloves off. Another good area is the mid points of the fairways. Generally people lose stuff there too when the hit the ball halfway down the fairway.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom