• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Any advice

512Digger

Hi guys new to metal detecting heading to beach (Rockport) in a couple of weeks. Any advice for a newbie would be appreciated thnx:roll:

Welcome..good luck and dont turn your back to the ocean. You get excited and distracted and a wave could knock you down. Go slow, dig everything and fill your holes. Really hope you find something great!

It depends on what machine you use as to how successful you will be. A VLF single freq machine will struggle greatly on the wet sand due to the mineralization of the salt water. But should work fine on the dry sand. I like to hit the beach before the sun gets up so that I am not bothering the sun bathers. Discriminate out iron and steel and dig everything else. Gold can sound like everything from foil to zinc pennies.

Good Luck

I use a Garrett 250 with concentric coil in wet with sensitivity on one or two and swing slow. Dry sand on 4. Its works.

I use a Garrett 250 with concentric coil in wet with sensitivity on one or two and swing slow. Dry sand on 4. Its works.

Thanks for advice good point about waves , I also have a Garrett 250 ace. So on dry I will set sensitivity to 4 , wet to 1-2 ok thanks :yes:

It depends on what machine you use as to how successful you will be. A VLF single freq machine will struggle greatly on the wet sand due to the mineralization of the salt water. But should work fine on the dry sand. I like to hit the beach before the sun gets up so that I am not bothering the sun bathers. Discriminate out iron and steel and dig everything else. Gold can sound like everything from foil to zinc pennies.

Good Luck
I have a Garrett 250 ace also had planned on getting up early then head back when sun bathers start to filter in. I’m not sure if 250 ace is VLF, but will dig everything I can and most importantly I know this is a absolute must is to fill in holes.

I have a Garrett 250 ace also had planned on getting up early then head back when sun bathers start to filter in. I’m not sure if 250 ace is VLF, but will dig everything I can and most importantly I know this is a absolute must is to fill in holes.

My hubby who is the ringmaster. says to run it on Relic 4 in the wet but you have to slow down. if you drop it down on one or two you can actually go in to the water with it .slow is the key but not so slow that it doesn't signal anything. Also if you start falsing on hot rocks just look at your depth indicator which is on the far right side of the screen. if it registers no depth.. you don't see the cursor moving ..it's a hot rock .A solid target will always register a depth. Yes they are vlf ...not supposed to work but they do. All you got to do is learn it and slow down and learn your beach. One more thing the the sensitivity indicator... each notch is approximately 2 in of depth. Ya We are dawn patrol also ...soon as the people start coming we leave.

My hubby who is the ringmaster. says to run it on Relic 4 in the wet but you have to slow down. if you drop it down on one or two you can actually go in to the water with it .slow is the key but not so slow that it doesn't signal anything. Also if you start falsing on hot rocks just look at your depth indicator which is on the far right side of the screen. if it registers no depth.. you don't see the cursor moving ..it's a hot rock .A solid target will always register a depth. Yes they are vlf ...not supposed to work but they do. All you got to do is learn it and slow down and learn your beach. One more thing the the sensitivity indicator... each notch is approximately 2 in of depth. Ya We are dawn patrol also ...soon as the people start coming we leave.

Thanks great info will do

Back
Top Bottom