• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

NEL Storm for AT Pro

Jburkes80

Just ordered my Storm coil. Anyone have suggestions or tips for using it compared to stock coil !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Coil

Hi,
I'm using the Garrett 8 " x 6 " coil on my AT Pro. I really like this coil and it swings very easily. I found a lot of coins that my stock coil was not hitting on.
It seems to be deeper and also good in trashy areas. I think you'll be happy with the coil you mentioned. Run your AT Pro in Pro-Zero mode with 2 notches from full sensitivity. Does a great job dirt digging for coins and jewelry.
Want some snow ??? Free !!!
Bubbaron Nox 600. AT Pro, AT Carrot Pin Pointer, 8 x 6 " Garrett Coil

Shorten your shaft a notch or 2 to help with the Tennis Elbow you may encounter after 3 months of swinging it

I have the same setup and had to take 3 months off

I have one for my AT Pro. They are great, goes deep. I was digging fired 22 lead and 3/16 washers at 11-12 inches. You will dig more for sure. HH Mark

Hi,
I'm using the Garrett 8 " x 6 " coil on my AT Pro. I really like this coil and it swings very easily. I found a lot of coins that my stock coil was not hitting on.
It seems to be deeper and also good in trashy areas. I think you'll be happy with the coil you mentioned. Run your AT Pro in Pro-Zero mode with 2 notches from full sensitivity. Does a great job dirt digging for coins and jewelry.

Are you maybe referring to the 6.5" x 9" concentric coil? I have been using it for about 5 months and am really impressed with it's depth. Beats the 5" x 8" DD in my locations. Separation is good and ID's most bottle caps as junk, compared to using DD coils which ID them as coins.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=255097

Attachments

• MAX  dd vs. concentric.jpg
    MAX dd vs. concentric.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 421
Hi,
I have the 5x8 for my Pro and it's great. This is going to be for less trashy civil war fields. I almost always run Pro Zero ! Thanks bubbaron
4948bc7056958e6a46624bd4699bacc3.jpg

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Shorten your shaft a notch or 2 to help with the Tennis Elbow you may encounter after 3 months of swinging it

I have the same setup and had to take 3 months off
Thanks for the tip. I won't be using it all the time. I've heard it's heavy.

Hoover boys on YouTube really do great with that storm coil..not sure if you watch the videos.if not you should..they tear it up with the Garrett at pro

Hoover boys on YouTube really do great with that storm coil..not sure if you watch the videos.if not you should..they tear it up with the Garrett at pro
I've seen almost every video ! I know Kurt used the Storm for a long time and loved it.

I have the 5x8 and love that thing but am a little worried about depth loss. Thinking about a nel hunter

My concern is the weight.
The balance with just the 5 x 8 was so bad I went with a straight shaft.
It is useable now with minimal comfort but add the weight of a hunter coil I don't think it would be.
So now I use my f70 when a bigger footprint is needed and use the atp for surgical work.
I can hike and swing both for hours now the way I have them set up.

My concern is the weight.
The balance with just the 5 x 8 was so bad I went with a straight shaft.
It is useable now with minimal comfort but add the weight of a hunter coil I don't think it would be.
So now I use my f70 when a bigger footprint is needed and use the atp for surgical work.
I can hike and swing both for hours now the way I have them set up.

I have never thought the ATP with 5x8 was heavy. To me it seems very light weight. Maybe if I tried a few other lighter detectors then I would have a different feeling but I am 6' tall and pull tap proof. I have no problem swinging the 5x8 for 10 hours plus none stop. The only thing that hurts is my fingers the next day. They get very stiff kinda like shooters finger. I would be willing to use a bigger coil I can only swing for 5 hours if I can clear twice the area in half the time. Just my 2 cents. Happy Hunting and Gold Luck.

Not the weight, it's the balance to me. The stock shaft is small and the arm cuff is to close to my wrist, not back by my elbow where it needs to be.
I found a old thread that a member here made a extension called a " Garrett gizmo" and a video that showed the problem of the short cuff placement.
I tried to get one but the thread was several years old so I got an Anderson straight shaft. I'm impressed and like the machine but again found the balance terrible for my use.

Last edited:
Not the weight, it's the balance to me. The stock shaft is small and the arm cuff is to close to my wrist, not back by my elbow where it needs to be.
I found a old thread that a member here made a extension called a " Garrett gizmo" and a video that showed the problem of the short cuff placement.
I tried to get one but the thread was several years old so I got an Anderson straight shaft. I'm impressed and like the machine but again found the balance terrible for my use.

I should be getting a new detector here in a few weeks. I wonder if I will feel a big change then. My biggest complaint would have to be the grip. I have a big hand and can not really grip the little thingi find myself trying to hold it with my bottom 3 fingers and using the top two to sway the housing. Not sure if that makes sense but it works for me. Even after I get the new detector I plan to finish building the at out with a new coil and straight shaft and a sticker job. It was a blessing for me to get this unit but I feel I have out grown it on a few levels. Still a great unit that will find things over and over again. It paid for itself in the first 15 days.

Back
Top Bottom