• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

"New" Detector Purchased for Beach

SpringfieldXD

Just bought a Vallon ex-military PI metal detector on Ebay from a bloke in the UK. I plan on using it this summer to hunt the wet sand at my beach in New Jersey. I know PI detectors have poor discrimination, but they're supposed to be good with wet sand. I got it for slightly more than two bills, so even if it's a total bust it will have been worth the gamble. The model I got was the VMH3CS, it kinda reminds me of the ATX looks-wise. The Vallons are made in Germany, so they should be good quality (unless it's as reliable as German cars I guess). In any event, I'll post my experiences once I've gotten a chance to test it out.

This isn't the one I bought, just a stock image.

d99b561d-f8d0-4198-b0a3-1f5b8b62f92f-original.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I PM’d you about how to get the software updated for free - then noticed you are in PA. If you drop it off and pick it up at their location in PA, you don’t even need to pay shipping!!

PM me for details if you like

I love the look of it as it should keep people away from me as it should scare them !

What do you know about it ??

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

It is about AS deep as the TDi’s I have had and waterproof. For the price, nothing can touch it. Great machine for figuring out if beach hunting is for you.

Well...

Ill just chuckle a bit and say good luck. Id saved the money for the new Fisher.

Right now I have the ACE 400 which can't do wet sand. I'm going to the beach for a week in about two weeks and I don't want to spend $1000 + on a new detector when I can go putz around with this Vallon for about $240. I doubt that it's a completely useless metal detector, they depend on them to not die so they have to be halfway decent. In any event, I may just check out that Fisher when time/budget is more amenable. Later!

Get yourself a good scoop as you will be doing a lot of digging. PI's like metal of all kinds. But you will see if you like beach huntng.

With a pi you will start to hunt on other clues besides tone. There is still a lot of information being relayed. The length of report, the db of the report, ect. and one will be able to get a feel for what it is under coil. For example a bobby pin, nail or a smilar shaped object will give a double report as will the occasional broken ring such as toe rings. Chains can give a machine gun report often ect. I'm not familiar with the military detector but I have heard they are tuned to pick up mostly land mine sized objects and may not work as well on small things, in this I may have been misinformed. Hh. Gl.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom