• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

CNN should check out this page!

Good story on CNN about a class ring return...somewhat common here though!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/19/us/lost-class-ring-trnd/index.html

Very cool. I'm working on a 1955 10k class ring return, so I'll have that one beat by 4 years if I can pull it off. I found it a month ago and identified the owner through the engraved initials and a copy of that year's yearbook. With some clues from old newspapers I've made contact with a few distant relatives. I know he had a few kids, but I haven't been able to get their names. I have made contact with a relative, but he hasn't been in touch with that side of the family in decades. He pointed me to somebody closer, and I'm waiting to hear back from her.

Right now I'm trying to keep it low key and a surprise, so I'm stopping short of putting it all over Facebook. But, I might have to eventually try that approach.

There's also the possibility that there are some people who don't want to be found, and nobody that wants to remember them. (Debbie Downer, I know.)

i found a MINT 1955 class ring 2 yrs ago that was in the clay at a local beach, buried for yrs and yrs. Not a scratch on it. I tried to find the owner but it was impossible. The High school said, " just bring it down and we will hold it." I said sure, for the cost of melt. No initials, no inscription, nothing. I'd gladly return it to the owner but not gonna just hand it over to someone....

i found a MINT 1955 class ring 2 yrs ago that was in the clay at a local beach, buried for yrs and yrs. Not a scratch on it. I tried to find the owner but it was impossible. The High school said, " just bring it down and we will hold it." I said sure, for the cost of melt. No initials, no inscription, nothing. I'd gladly return it to the owner but not gonna just hand it over to someone....
I've had several of the exact results trying to return a ring like you. Told them my name , phone # ,etc. Wanted me to just drop the ring off. I really wanted to just hand the ring over to the owner and see the look on their face. Seems nowadays school administrators want to protect the privacy ,etc of former students. But they treated me like I was a monster , stalker , or something. I gave up trying to return class rings years ago. Too much leg work. Sad.....

I'd rather get a hernia operation than watch CNN:lol: But yeah, some days the news gets a little what we call feel good air time. You can get on the news metal detecting down here real easy. I see the news crew coming i haul butt these days. I know the last time my GF was on the news, we said to block out the car tag they filmed. News came on, and the car tag was there for everyone to see. You on the news these days talking about finding gold, it's not a good idea to let anyone know where you live.

Back
Top Bottom