Grill #2 Gold # 13

Freaking awesome find! I've never found a grill, yet, but look forward to the day. Hoping it's a whole set of gold dentures. :)

Skippy

I do what I feel like at the moment .if I feel like I should return it I try to ,if I don't I don't. These big honkin rings that we find... if they are so concerned about losing this stuff they should have them sized where they don't fall off their fingers. .not only that but they're probably insured and they've already replaced it anyway. I think ethically you do whatever you think is best with your own finds and the heck what anybody thinks about it. I agree grills are creepy. So is the gold out of cremated people that have been strewn on the beach with a ceremony. I throw that stuff BACK.

Congrats!!

On returning gold items..

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20170225_112508.jpg
    IMG_20170225_112508.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 62
Nobody here should be pressured to do anything other than the law requires. Even the Metal Detectors Ethics (posted by Fisher) don't suggest otherwise:
https://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/code-of-ethics.htm
ETHICAL GUIDELINES

1. Always check Federal, State and local laws regarding metal detecting before searching.
2. Respect land owners and always obtain permission before entering private property.
3. Always use proper recovery methods. Fill all holes and do no damage.
4. Always take your trash with you; leave the area better than you found it.
5. Appreciate and protect our heritage of natural resources, wildlife and private property.
6. As an ambassador of the sport, use thoughtfulness, consideration and courtesy at all times.
7. Never damage or remove any historically significant or archeological treasures.
8. Always leave gates as found, and never tamper with signs or equipment.
9. Do not destroy property, buildings, or what is left of any deserted ghost towns or structures.​

Bottom line is, most metal detectorists are here to find and KEEP stuff. Great for those that don't care to, but this Friendly Forum shouldn't be subjected to it. I left another forum over how I was treated after finding (and keeping) a gold ring. It was suggested I was a thief, my ethics were poor, and the straw that broke me, was when a poster flat out told me I was a lousy parent for teaching my kids to "keep stuff that didn't belong to me." Why? it was a class ring. So what? It had been lost at least a dozen years prior. If the owner wanted it, they could have detected the field themselves. I followed the law to the letter, posted it with a description for a week, and kept it when they didn't respond back in 30 days.

I'm still pissed over how I was treated, and if it ever happens here, I'll be gone, too. I like the club, but no metal detectorist needs to be harassed over keeping finds that are LEGALLY theirs. ESPECIALLY by other detectorists on a Metal Detecting FORUM! :shock:

I've gotten two rings back that weren't immediate losses... (got quite a few of those). One of them was grateful, the other didn't care a lick (both were class rings). Frankly, I love the great return stories as much as the next person, but I'm out there to TREASURE HUNT. $2,000-$4,000 a year keeps me in the hobby!

It drives me nuts that in Metal Detecting Forum people try to push their own philosophy as the only "right way." Great if you want to go spend 100 hours to find the owner. Great if it's a great experience for you. Me? It's mine, if you don't claim it within the required 30 days.

To those who do this: We don't want to hear you say "You should find the owner and give it back" when a find is posted. If you want to say that, say it in your OWN thread.

Skippy

Nice post ..I agree 100%.

Congrats! Those are nice grills. The one I found was 8k (or so said the gold buyer guy, I tested it at 10k but I'm not an expert and the acid I had was old). It barely even looked 10k so didn't argue. GONE! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom