High grass and weeds

Culbles

I recently obtained permission for an old 1960s remote helicopter training base. Went out to look it over and saw it was covered in high grass and weeds (12-24 inches). Any tips on how to hunt this area? Should I wait until winter and vegetation dies off? Way too big and expensive for mowing.

Thanks for any and all tips.

I took a string trimmer to one permission and detected it a few hundred square feet at a time. But, I had detected it prior to being overgrown, knew it was high target density, and generally where to focus my efforts. Good exercise, too.

Last edited:
Get a sheet of plywood and throw it down in front of you and detect over top of it.

This is a great idea, and it works well, but you have to carry it around with you.

I'd get a weed wacker and go to town probably. Easier than hauling around a sheet of plywood....however, you COULD go with a very thin piece, or even a piece of plexiglass. More expensive than plywood, but lighter, and you can see exactly where to dig.

Weed wacker or mower would be my choice personally

I had permission at the home where the land owners grandparents lived. Got there and the grass was nearly two feet tall. I deferred and will wait until winter. But I asked and got permission to hunt the home where his parents lived. Very glad that I asked.

I recently obtained permission for an old 1960s remote helicopter training base. Went out to look it over and saw it was covered in high grass and weeds (12-24 inches). Any tips on how to hunt this area? Should I wait until winter and vegetation dies off? Way too big and expensive for mowing.

Just be careful you don't drop a cigarette butt or lit match while you're there. Might burn the whole field down. ;)

Sounds like you're talking about Fort Wolters. Largest Helicopter training base in the US at the time for young Army pilots bound for Viet Nam.

Southern Airways actually manned and operated the place. Locate the Barracks areas and focus on that and either wait for winter or gather up a herd of goats and turn em loose:D

Last edited:
Sounds like you're talking about Fort Wolters. Largest Helicopter training base in the US at the time for young Army pilots bound for Viet Nam.

Southern Airways actually manned and operated the place. Locate the Barracks areas and focus on that and either wait for winter on gather up a herd of goats and turn em loose:D

The goat idea is genius! Make money on weed abatement and metal detect while minding the goats! Maybe the ideal job for any metal Detectorist!

Southern Airways actually manned and operated the place. Locate the Barracks areas and focus on that and either wait for winter on gather up a herd of goats and turn em loose:D

Yes it was part of Ft. Walters. Not at the main base. Ft. Walters is mostly gone now and is a state park and industrial park and one of the big staging bases is now an impound lot for the county.

No goats. Has cows and is used for hunting during season. Complicates MDing.

Back
Top Bottom