Unearthed some old glass today

GLASSHOPPER1955

Elite Member
Finally got back to a place I had probed out last Fall, heard the clunk of glass while probing then. Small trash hole gave up these Kilmer's Swamp Roots. Had to laugh, one was a "cure" and one was "remedy" so these date to 1906 era, because that's when the FDA cracked down on all the quack "cures" and required them to be labelled as remedies. Also among all the broken stuff (yes most everything was broken) was this Muessel South Bend, Ind. beer from about the same era.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 398
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 314
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 324
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 304
Great stuff. I’ve been swamped with work and only been able to find new stuff at tag sales.

Keep up probing. Did you find that spot associated with an old house?

Great stuff. I’ve been swamped with work and only been able to find new stuff at tag sales.

Keep up probing. Did you find that spot associated with an old house?

No, but there was old pottery and broken glass chards on the surface and when I see that, I start a-probin'.

This small dump was in nice black dirt with very little rusty metal so that's why these cleaned up so nice. The rust really stains old glass and so does yicky polluted dirt like is found in the bigger "town" dumps. Then you have to tumble everything because it's so clouded up.

Fantastic digs there glasshopper, good to see your out poking around! I actually stumbled upon a small surface dump the other day, got 3 soda bottles from right around the same date as your Dr. kilmers. Found some really nice broken pontils, but most everything was smashed. Will have to get back out there soon though, may have already been dug too, BUT, where I found 2-3 intact older soda bottles, you never know, really... Looking forward to your next report!

Thanks for the report - those bottles are really nice! Can't believe you find so much around your area in NW Indiana!

Nice bottles. The Kilmers Swamp Root is one of my favorites, as it’s one of the first keepers that I found back in the late 1970’s when I was a teen. Ahhhh...the memories.

Fantastic digs there glasshopper, good to see your out poking around! I actually stumbled upon a small surface dump the other day, got 3 soda bottles from right around the same date as your Dr. kilmers. Found some really nice broken pontils, but most everything was smashed. Will have to get back out there soon though, may have already been dug too, BUT, where I found 2-3 intact older soda bottles, you never know, really... Looking forward to your next report!

If you found pontil a, I’d be gridding the area with a probe trying to find additional pockets

Nice bottles. The Kilmers Swamp Root is one of my favorites, as it’s one of the first keepers that I found back in the late 1970’s when I was a teen. Ahhhh...the memories.

THIS Hood's Sarsaparilla was from the first trash hole I ever dug in 1969 when I was 14. Found with my first Jetco detector (ha). These are not at all hard to find, but it probably is my all-time favorite bottle because it was one of my first finds.

Attachments

• Hood's.jpg
    Hood's.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 270
Back
Top Bottom