Platinum ring, lost 10 years ago. Tips??

Carefully check the whole yard . You may find other treasures and DIG EVERY REPEATABLE signal. SWING BOTH WAYS BEFORE MOVING !! Good LUCK and keep us posted

Interesting, good to know a rough per year drop. Sadly this one we’re looking at 10 years. Hard soil though. Neighbors backyard today I found a 1944 wheatie *edited* now that I think about it two of em from original owners maybe 2 to 3 inches down. But love the info you shared for per year drops.
With this hard soil though a carrot is probably still a viable thing to try for sure..

TOTALLY dependent on a few other factors. It's not just dirt and rain. Mostly, it's suspension and vibration.

1) Dirt "compactness" Soft loamy-dirt will allow for downward drift far easier than hardpan. Hardpan, you can set a ring on it, and 4 years later, it quite likely will still be visible.

2) Traffic: Dirt movement has a lot to do with dirt vibration. When the dirt is saturated with water, any vibration will allow drift of more dense items.

Basically, if you put a pingpong ball underneath a bunch of pebbles, or in a jar of sand, the pingpong ball will stay at the bottom of the sand, until you have some sort of vibration. The more vibration, the more the pingpong ball will climb through the substate.

Add water to the sand, and it climbs higher... but again, only when there is vibration.

So, using 2.5 inches a year as an estimate is completely dependent on how much vibration the dirt has been subjected to, how dense the dirt was to start with, and how much water (creating suspension) has been applied.

In some areas, I've seen rings drop more than 2" in a single season. In other areas, I've seen 2" be where the ring ends up after 10+ years.

Bottom line is "Gold is where you find it." applies to platinum, too. :(

Skippy

Back
Top Bottom