North East TN - Back into hunting

Avi8torDig

Howdy,

Wanted to say hey. Getting back into the hunt after many years of doing other things. Grew up in northern Virginia back in the 60's hunting civil war camps with my cousins. Hit the good times for sure. We had a blast with the old MetroTechs. Upgraded later to a White's Blue and Gray 5900 in the 80's. Did a lot of digging around Brandy Station, Culpepper, Manassas, Warrenton, Orange County, etc.

Life caught up with me and just kinda picked up other hobbies and interests - plus being in the Navy for twenty-three years didn't help. Started reading in detail about my surrounding area and decided to get back into it. I have a degree with a major in history that focused on early American history to the Reconstruction period. I know in my area that there were some military activity. I am interested to looking around for camps and old home sites. I have some leads.

I did research to bring me up with the latest MD technology and decided to go with the Equinox 800. What a machine - wished I had it back in Virginia in the 60's. Doing a lot of practice to bring my old ears up to speed with the tones. Still the same - you know it when you hear it (most of the time).

Anyways, wanted to introduce myself. BTW - the photo I posted was my first Confederate button I found in 1968 at a camp in Centerville, VA. It's a Louisiana winter coat button. When I dug it, I thought it was a fake. It isn't.

Since you mentioned aviation....... It's been a while back (early 1970's) but I think it was a P-3 Orion that had a rotodome that was on the aircraft carrier our fighter squadron was attached to back then. I was an aviation electronics technician that worked on the F4 Phantoms.

welcome from CA. Those metrotechs were ahead of their time back in the 1960s !

Thanks Shipmate Flew on a Navy airplane with the biggest metal detector - P-3 Orion.

Dont know if you recognized my avatar. But i was out there hiding from you making you work hard to find us. I rode an old SS, Two SSBN's and two SSN"s and lost track of how many i spent time at sea on. Oh the sea stories we could tell each other.

For the folks who do not know the difference between a fairy tale and a sea story it is the way the story starts.

A fairy tale starts Once upon a time. A sea story starts Now this aint no S^%$.

Back
Top Bottom