Equinox 800 people

BGdigger1

Question??? If you have a Equinox 800, what is your setup? Advanced setups and all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My set up and advice , for you ? Read the frickin manual about 10 times and watch all the videos you can.

My set up and advice , for you ? Read the frickin manual about 10 times and watch all the videos you can.

That is what I have been doing for about a year. Lol. Just wanna get people setups and ideas

Actually since I have no beaches close by and just hunt on dry land I have simply been sticking with "Park 1" so far and it's been working well for me for the areas I have been detecting.

I'm not saying I might not eventually try experimenting with some other settings, but if I did I'd likely review these helpful tutorials on the Equinox series again first as they have been a good help to me:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpymZHu8sv5nwrk34ID53OxszE8fjuDFC

Actually since I have no beaches close by and just hunt on dry land I have simply been sticking with "Park 1" so far and it's been working well for me for the areas I have been detecting.

I'm not saying I might not eventually try experimenting with some other settings, but if I did I'd likely review these helpful tutorials on the Equinox series again first as they have been a good help to me:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpymZHu8sv5nwrk34ID53OxszE8fjuDFC

I’ve went through those a few times and have tried some of them. I have mine set up for a coin setting that I found on YouTube but like my old settings better and can’t remember them. !!!! lol

I’ve went through those a few times and have tried some of them. I have mine set up for a coin setting that I found on YouTube but like my old settings better and can’t remember them. !!!! lol

:lol: I'm glad you mentioned that, so if I do try any fancy settings later on I'll see about writing it all down in a notebook :lol:

That would be awesome. I’ll do the same. I heard there is a new update as well

Every location an be different. Every person here can give advice and everyone’s will be different.
I generally use Park 1 and very from there.
If you get lost just do a Factory reset.
Hears a hint. While you are in ax set program like Park 1 you can just do a Factory reset of just that program by holding the pattern button down until you see FP.
If you do that you will not disturb any other settings in other patterns and also you will not erase any profile you may have saved.
The Equinox is a very giving even if settings are off.
So right out of the box it will run but in certain places you may need to lower sensitivity.
I rarely run 25 unless I’m on a quiet ares.
Also do the 3.0 update. I have read a lot of post and everyone likes it.
I like the update.
Doug

The first setup step is securing your armcuff in the proper location for you, and adjusting to the optimal shaft length...for you.
I mainly detect parks, schools & sportsfield areas, curbstrips, and yards.
So...
I usually run Park2, with 50 tones. Always noise cancel first, then find clean ground to ground balance.
MULTI-FREQUENCY is preferred, unless I need to switch for EMI or other reasons.
SENSITIVITY: EMI can cause some level of chatter in most places, so I set sensitivity to just below annoying chatter levels. Sometimes I lower Sens. to work near metal fences, playground equip., etc.
VOLUME usually at 22-23, so I can bump it to 25 if it's noisy around me.
No THRESHOLD sound.
I leave IRON BIAS on the low side, because it's a compromise, and I opt to go low. (I think 2 to 4, but it's fuzzy) So far, I haven't noticed much difference in FE, F2 bias settings. I'm not well versed in iron bias settings.
RECOVERY SPEED is usually around 5 to 7. If the ground is especially "clean", and I want to search for deepest coins, I will lower it to maybe 3, and sweep slowly. If the ground is trashy, I set R-speed to 7, but would consider going all the way to 9 if I want to do some quick clad sweeping amongst the pulltabs.
I ACCEPT everything, and REJECT nothing, except the iron (o to -9). I use the horseshoe button to listen for iron at times, but don't leave it on much.
I prefer to use the headphones plugged into the WM-08 module. That thing pairs up quickly and perfectly every time.
I am certainly not at expert level with this stuff. Much of it was trial and error, and picking up tips here and there. Actually that's still the case.
It seems everyone sets up a little differently, but many different setups seem to work well for different people, ground conditions, hunting styles, etc.

Thanks I’m doing the update tomorrow night

I love hearing everyone’s setups. I can’t wait to try different ones.

I hunt park 1 most of the time, I have hunted an area roughly 15x15 on park 1 and went back through it on park 2 and dident find anything I missed. 5 tones but trying to get used to 50, it’s alot on the ear if your not accustom to it. My understanding is park 2 is more geared towards smaller targets. I run my sensitivity as high as I can, generally 23, sometimes as low as 18 if I have to. I’ve left the iron bias alone, because I’ve played with it and can’t seem to notice a difference. Recovery speed is set to match trash, generally 4, if it’s really trashy in an area I’ve found it’s better to slow down swing speed then to ramp up recovery speed and blow through it, I pick up more targets slowing down. I have tried YouTube coin programs or set ups and have just gone back to basics, it’s what seems to work best for me. I have also found that the vdi numbers are very accurate, unless the target is deep. Then in can be a bit bouncy. I use multi and horseshoe off most of the time. Always ground balance and noise cancel. Best of luck too you!

I detect different. I do not use that silly strap and haven’t in my 50 years of detecting.
I do not grab the handle hard like most , that is hard on the wrist and arm on long hours.
Instead my pinky finger is under the shaft and actually caries most of the weight and helps balance the detector and I use the next three finger around the handle with the thumb opposite of the three fingers. I lightly hold it like a spinning reel. I do have a counterbalance.
It dose take time to get use to but it’s easier on wrist, arm,and solders doing this I have incense my detecting time and I’m 72.
Everyone has their own ways.
Doug

Most of the time I use Park 2 and 5 tones. No discrimination, but for coin hunting I mute 14-16 and everything below 11. I leave the 11-13 window open for nickels. I find that deeper nickels can read around 11. IB usually at 1. Recovery speed depends on the site but is usually around 5 or 6. When I use my Equinox, 99% of the time I have the 6" coil on it.

This is one reason I wish Minelab would release a way to program the machine via computer, and to save different profiles and share them.

That is a loaded question. LOL

Each setting might be different depending on the type of soil, type of terrain and all that but here's mine:

I usually run Park 1 or Field 1 since I mainly hunt public parks (moderate to heavy trash).
- 6" coil
- Noise cancel - every time ;)
- Ground balance - set to 0 unless I mineralization is high
- Volume adjust - 18
- Threshold level - 12
- Target tone - 5
- Accept/Reject - -9
- Recovery Speed - 4-6 depending on the level of trash

The rest of the expert mode, really depends on your personal preferences. Good luck!

My initial settings for any Gold mode:

Frequency: Multi
Ground balance: auto with manual adjustment
Sensitivity: 20
Recovery rate: 6
Iron indicator: 0
Accept / Reject: -9 to 40 accepted

While you are in ax set program like Park 1 you can just do a Factory reset of just that program by holding the pattern button down until you see FP.
If you do that you will not disturb any other settings in other patterns and also you will not erase any profile you may have saved.
Doug

Wow, good tip, another one I wasn't aware of, thanks! There have been many times I've wanted to reset Park 1 without having to start over on wireless settings and such.

I have the 600 and I almost always hunt in Park 1 and really the only thing I adjust is sensitivity and iron bias. Basic coin hunting I run a high iron bias. For relics or an old coin site with lots of trash I lower the iron bias.

Sensitivity I typically run between 19-22 depending on the location. Even if the detector is stable above 22 I rarely go that high.

pick one of the four standard modes for the type and location of your hunt sites and be satisfied with that. The Minelab engineers did a bang up job making those standard modes.

Or....

Carefully learn what each setting really means and how it affects your hunt. I made the mistake of trying other people's settings in the beginning. But their settings are for they sites. Unless you are hunting side by side with that person, other people's setting will likely have you using a detuned 800. A detuned 800 will barely out perform a toy metal detector. I kid you not. I wasted many months on the theory that other people's 800 settings was the answer to my learning the 800.

Learn the theory behind each setting. good place to start is 3 of Clive Clylnick's books on the Equinox.

Take it out and hunt practice using your newfound metal detecting knowledge and create your own settings for your type of hunt and location.

But don't copy any other person's settings. Took me a while to learn that hard lessons.

pick one of the four standard modes for the type and location of your hunt sites and be satisfied with that. The Minelab engineers did a bang up job making those standard modes.

Or....

Carefully learn what each setting really means and how it affects your hunt. I made the mistake of trying other people's settings in the beginning. But their settings are for they sites. Unless you are hunting side by side with that person, other people's setting will likely have you using a detuned 800. A detuned 800 will barely out perform a toy metal detector. I kid you not. I wasted many months on the theory that other people's 800 settings was the answer to my learning the 800.

Learn the theory behind each setting. good place to start is 3 of Clive Clylnick's books on the Equinox.

Take it out and hunt practice using your newfound metal detecting knowledge and create your own settings for your type of hunt and location.

But don't copy any other person's settings. Took me a while to learn that hard lessons.
Wrong!! A detuned 800 will not out perform a toy metal detector:laughing: Sounds like you should stop buying and worrying about these other detectors you keep asking about for your C.W sites and actually learn what the 800 is telling you! Just with the factory settings and learn how to tweak it after you actually understand it better. The 800 is an dam good machine if you know what it is telling you! Is it the end all of all detectors not at all but before you knock it understand it! You have a great machine that i don't think you have meshed with yet. Dig more targets and it becomes clearer to the user what you are hearing under your coil. GL

Back
Top Bottom