#54-62 and a major bucketlister

jl1252

Elite Member
So been busy but made time to get out several times over the last few weeks. Going to try and hit the highlights...#54, 55, 56, 58, 60, & 61 were Mercury/Rosie dimes, #57 was a '48 GW, and #62 was a dateless SLQ pulled from various parks and schools here in town.

So Ive been working a particular field that has produced several seated for me lately, not to mention numerous mid-century silvers and loads of wheat pennies. I was back there over the holiday break and got over a peep of high tone in one direction with corresponding vdi in the 20s while in park 1. Cut a nice deep plug and pulled out several square nail fragments while cleaning out the hole. Checked it again with the Nox, and the signal cleaned up substantially and now reporting 29-32. Churned up the bottom of the hole to loosen the dirt and get a glimpse of a large silver rim. Used my hand to brush aside the loose dirt in the bottom of the hole and see half sized coin staring back up at me, 1871 S (#59)! My 2nd seated half from this field.

A while back I talked to an older gentleman in town who owns a jewelry store who gave me some info on the location of an old "natural spring" where travelers would stop and water their horses once they arrived in town. I took it with a grain of salt since he claimed it was located in center field of a local baseball field. Ive found several Mercury dimes at this spot, and 2 silver quarters, but nothing as old as hes claiming this spot is.

Not having any new spots I remembered what this guy told me and gave it a shot today. I wandered around and found a mercury (#61) and a dateless SLQ (#62) as mentioned above so im perfectly content at this point. Then I got what I thought was another silver quarter signal....smack dab in center field. Popped a plug and the hole immediately filled with water due to all the recent rain. Stuck the pinpointer in hole and it alerts me that its dead center but deeper. Re-holstered the digger and stuck both hands in the hole and dredged out several handfuls of sloppy mud and plopped it off to the side. Pinpointer back in the hole and its still somewhere in the muck. A few handfuls later the pointer tells me its no longer in the hole but in the mound off to the side. Spread out the mud using the pinpointer and eventually find a large brown disc. Immediately I think its some sort of token, that is until i wipe my thumb across the obverse and see the faint outline of Lady Liberty looking left, and several stars above her head. Now, Ive watched enough of the Hoover Boys and Quarter Hoarder, and the like to know what Im looking at, but in complete and utter disbelief. This thing is on my bucketlist, but with an asterisk * next to it knowing it would be one of those coins I would never get a coil over. But today I got to check it off my list...1849 Braided Hair Large Cent.

Thanks for looking, and Happy Hunting!

Attachments

• IMG_20191123_105358.jpg
    IMG_20191123_105358.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 763
  • IMG_20191123_105410.jpg
    IMG_20191123_105410.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 726
  • IMG_20191123_105503.jpg
    IMG_20191123_105503.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 714
  • IMG_20191205_123114.jpg
    IMG_20191205_123114.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 742
  • IMG_20191205_123240.jpg
    IMG_20191205_123240.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 714
  • IMG_20191205_172101.jpg
    IMG_20191205_172101.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 725
  • IMG_20191205_172119.jpg
    IMG_20191205_172119.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 695
Wow, along with your regular silvers you got a GORGEOUS Seated Half, AND a West Coast Largie! One heckuva pair of goodies, congratulations!

Amazing finds Jeff! Yet again! You’re killing it big time over there! Holy smokes! Another seated half and the LC! Fricken’ eh!!!!

Congrats! :wow:

Oh hey, leave a few seateds for me okay? :laughing:

Absolutely amazing finds! Congrats on the largie and multiple old silvers. Good work following up on that tip.:yes:

OUTSTANDING ! What a run, 8 silvers in a couple hunts topped of with an LC. Congrats, the seated half is beautiful. A seated anything is top of my list and I've only ever dug 1 silver half so I am quite jealous. Great report and glad the to see you check the LC off your list. Good luck Mark

Congrats on those beauties, Jeff!!! That must have made your heart race a bit!

As Tom would say "Sick , sick ,sick !!! :lol: Awesome finds pictures (in situ ) and "still lifes ":lol: and great narrative . Tom will probably now refer to you as a "studmuffin" . By the way you wrote your narrative it is easy to tell you will
remember every detail of this hunt for the rest of your life . Super Congrats !
:yes:

You have had some very nice digging of late Jeff, Congrats on al the Silver Dime's, the Quarter's along with the beautiful Seated Half. Then you top all that and dig a bucketlister of note with a Braided Hair Large Cent. Very Impressive! Trapper

jl1252, awesome pix and post as usual. Man you are just killing it in your area ! Have all the md'rs simply been asleep at the wheel all these years there ?

I see the occurrence of an LC being found in CA has brought my name up, haha . Yes, they occasionally get found in CA, but they're rare. One of the places they turn up is in the gold rush country. Since that had a massive population in-flow, from the eastern states, in the 1850s.

But LC's are harder to find here than reales and choice-seateds. I have well over 100 reales, 100s of seateds here, yet only 2 LC's from CA. Heck, I think it's even easier to find a gold coin here than a large cent here. Doh !

Good show jl1252 ! Send me my 30% cut :cool:

They find them all the time in Calif. just ask Tom ! Congrats

Right? He just tosses them in the pile with his seateds, reales, capped busts, and gold coins!

Wow, along with your regular silvers you got a GORGEOUS Seated Half, AND a West Coast Largie! One heckuva pair of goodies, congratulations!

Thanks, Shiny!

Wow! The seated half is in amazing condition and congrats on the largie, too! :woot:

Thank you Wolf-Dog!

Amazing finds Jeff! Yet again! You’re killing it big time over there! Holy smokes! Another seated half and the LC! Fricken’ eh!!!!

Congrats! :wow:

Oh hey, leave a few seateds for me okay? :laughing:

Thanks Jeff. I will do my best to leave a few goodies for you, but no guarantees!

Absolutely amazing finds! Congrats on the largie and multiple old silvers. Good work following up on that tip.:yes:

Thanks Waveoff. You never know when those "tips" will pay off.

:laughing::hornetsnest: nice half and largie! You have been making some really nice finds as of late, keep up the good work!

Thanks cellrdwellr.

OUTSTANDING ! What a run, 8 silvers in a couple hunts topped of with an LC. Congrats, the seated half is beautiful. A seated anything is top of my list and I've only ever dug 1 silver half so I am quite jealous. Great report and glad the to see you check the LC off your list. Good luck Mark

Appreciate the kind words, Mark. Im sure theres a seated or two out there with your name on them!

Awesome finds for here in California. I think large cents are more rare to find here than seated coins. Congrats!

Thank you Jamflicker.

I love the Braided Hair series, both that and the Seated Half would make a day I'd never forget! Great work!

Yes, ive been very fortunate as of late, and im sure to remember this time for years to come.

Amazing stuff buddy!!! Congrats on the epic finds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, AIRFORCEMIKE

Congrats on those beauties, Jeff!!! That must have made your heart race a bit!

Honestly Diggum, i think i was more excited finding the LC. Its highly unlikely i will even find another one.

As Tom would say "Sick , sick ,sick !!! :lol: Awesome finds pictures (in situ ) and "still lifes ":lol: and great narrative . Tom will probably now refer to you as a "studmuffin" . By the way you wrote your narrative it is easy to tell you will
remember every detail of this hunt for the rest of your life . Super Congrats !
:yes:

Thanks Soil Surgeon.

You have had some very nice digging of late Jeff, Congrats on al the Silver Dime's, the Quarter's along with the beautiful Seated Half. Then you top all that and dig a bucketlister of note with a Braided Hair Large Cent. Very Impressive! Trapper

Thank you, Trapper. Its a run i will likely never match. Ive savored every moment of it and will never forget it.

jl1252, awesome pix and post as usual. Man you are just killing it in your area ! Have all the md'rs simply been asleep at the wheel all these years there ?

I see the occurrence of an LC being found in CA has brought my name up, haha . Yes, they occasionally get found in CA, but they're rare. One of the places they turn up is in the gold rush country. Since that had a massive population in-flow, from the eastern states, in the 1850s.

But LC's are harder to find here than reales and choice-seateds. I have well over 100 reales, 100s of seateds here, yet only 2 LC's from CA. Heck, I think it's even easier to find a gold coin here than a large cent here. Doh !

Good show jl1252 ! Send me my 30% cut :cool:

Thanks Tom, i dont know what the other md'rs are doing in my area, but its not md'ing. Haha. I rarely cross paths with other detectorists. As for the LC, its definitely a prize find in my collection on par with my recent seateds. Now, if i could just pop a gold coin...

jl1252, I've just made an executive decision : We don't need "your type" over along the coast. We don't need anyone stealing our seateds over here. So.... just to be clear : You must stay from the central valley eastward. That gives you the central valley and the sierra foothills. But don't let us catch you anywhere in the Bay area, coastal valleys, etc....

After all, we wouldn't want there to be any "accidents". Understood ? :police:

Back
Top Bottom