Puzzled - good repeatable detector signal - but no response from pinpointer

I agree. When I have experienced that it is usually big iron and quite deep. Big iron will give you a false positive on your machine.

Thanks, appreciate the added input !

Also, even if I wanted to dig that deep just to see what it really was, with that location being a permission I definitely wanted to avoid digging anything more than normal plugs :lol:

(likely the only place I might feel okay digging that deep would be on my own property :lol:)

I was comparing some of the Equinox TID number charts to make me a smaller condensed list I can print out and cover in plastic to keep handy as a TID number reminder to occasionally refer to when I am detecting if needed.

Here is my list, any fine-tuning needed or is it basically okay ?

-9 to 0 iron
11-20 includes pull-tabs and bottle caps
11-21 gold
10-12 possible older nickels
13 nickels
20-22 Indian head pennies
21 zinc pennies
22-23 wheat pennies
25-26 clad dimes
26-27 silver dimes
29 clad quarters
30 modern dollar coins
31 silver quarters
34-35 silver half dollars
36-37 Morgan dollars
38 silver dollars

Fine gold can come up as low as 2 but not sure about above 21...

Foil can come up anywhere from 6 to 14.

Lead can come up anywhere from 6 to 20

Decent size bullets or musket balls can come up from 15 to 20

Aluminium can come up anywhere from 24 up but usually has quite a harsh sound to it..

Aluminium can come up anywhere from 24 up but usually has quite a harsh sound to it..

Thanks, appreciate the additional info !

I've read about how some gold can come in at those low numbers, and we definitely need to watch out for them, but is 11-21 more likely and the lower numbers for gold less likely ?

I printed this out yesterday and sealed it in plastic, I can always later print out an updated list if needed, but this should do for now as I wanted to cover most of the basics. I realize over time I should memorize all these numbers (have already memorized some) but it's still good to have to refer to in the meantime.

I had to seal it in plastic as a previous smaller list I printed out and kept in my shirt pocket when detecting got soaked with sweat :lol:
Equinox_TID_list.jpg

Pick a number any number. I have a 9 g 14 carat gold Ring that rang in at a 21, a 2g. 10carat gold ring that came in at 11. Here is a video by gigmaster That explains what he gets on his machine.
https://youtu.be/oDGZskI53f0

Great thread and great replies Gary. It’s a lesson in digging by method, and a piece of that method for me is the “coil lift test”....a form of 3D sizing. I know how the coin SHOULD react from a certain distance given a certain coil...does it? A depth indication of 6” and still getting a good signal 6” off the ground doesn’t add up, and you know this. It’s easy to get in a hurry and skip a step of the analysis! BTDT! But you wound up doing just fine with the rest of the hunting, I would say that a straight nickel signal is also a good indication of the common 14K medium men’s wedding band. For ME...and it took me just a couple of rings to notice this...the signal itself seems “tight”...”compact”...VERY solid yet abrupt. This is true on my IDXPro, Explorer AND CTX. I have a nice selection of rings and to the best of my recollection, most, if not all, had this characteristic.

Some insight on rings

I agree. When I have experienced that it is usually big iron and quite deep. Big iron will give you a false positive on your machine.

Thanks to everyone who offered tips on this thread, just wanted to let you know your ideas are not ignored, I try to keep them all in mind when going back to hunt.

Unfortunately my hunt today was really shortened by unexpected rain so I only got roughly maybe an hour instead of the hoped for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

I checked the futurecast radar and should have had at least 2 hours before rain, but futurecast is not foolproof, right after I got to the motel permission and was ready to unload my equipment it started raining, got back in my car and waited it out and it stopped in about 10 minutes, got out and hunted for roughly close to an hour, then started raining heavier, loaded up the car and it had stopped but looked like it could start right back up anytime, so went to stop by grocery store on the way home and it still didn't start raining again till about an hour and a half later !

Hey, it was worth it even for an hour an even without any good finds, I look at it as an "outdoor classroom" lesson learning what I find when digging some of those lower signals I ignored previously. (besides, after getting used to regular hunting again, it's somewhat tough going several days without even a quick hunt :lol:)

Some of these were lower signals, though at least one of them was a 26 I couldn't pass up :lol:
The bottlecaps, pull-tab and nail is obvious, the other 2 things are a piece of foil and maybe a hairpin
motel_hunt_6.jpg

Hoping my next hunt will be a little longer and maybe even surprise me with some gold from also digging some of the lower signals, hey, I know ya gotta pay your dues with digging some trash when looking for gold, but it don't hurt to hope :lol:

Wouldn't an aluminum can and a silver dollar sound about the same. The silver dollar does weigh aprox twice as much as a flattened can.

Just curious.. I've been going by the same good signal, under a root as big as my leg, since 1977. I found several hundred dropped minne balls as well as a couple of large cents there.. just can't get that one target up ;(

g

Wouldn't an aluminum can and a silver dollar sound about the same. The silver dollar does weigh aprox twice as much as a flattened can.

Just curious.. I've been going by the same good signal, under a root as big as my leg, since 1977. I found several hundred dropped minne balls as well as a couple of large cents there.. just can't get that one target up ;(

g

From what I read an aluminum can might possibly give a signal like a silver dollar.

The tip people have given for determining if a target might be a large object like a flattened can is to rescan with your coil raised about roughly about 4-6 inches off the ground, if you still get a signal then it likely is a large trash object like a can.

.......you might try that same raised coil tip to scan the signal under the root just to check and see, of course if the root is that thick your coil would already be raised from where the target is.

Back
Top Bottom