Hi from North Carolina! (and a quick question)

jlj123

Hello all!

I got my first metal detector last Xmas. It is an entry level Ricomax from Amazon.

Unfortunately, I haven't had enough spare time to use it as much as I would like. I've had it stored in my garage for a couple months since I last used it.

Our home had a lightning strike at a tree on the property recently. It damaged a couple things like our router, garage door opener, and a few outlets.

I also noticed that it had turned on my metal detector.

Odd, right?

I've not been able to give it a proper testing yet, but it does appear to turn on and off just fine. What are the chances it damaged something, though?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Welcome from Winnsboro, South Carolina !!!!

That is strange, but you won't know until you test it out on a few different objects, penny, nickel, dime, quarter, to see if it is giving the expected tones.

Hopefully it is okay, if not at least it was a relatively inexpensive entry level model, but hopefully it's working fine, let us know how it goes when you test it.

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

Hi and welcome from Central Illinois. As strange as it sounds, yes it is possible for your detector to be turned on from the electrical pulse created by the lightning strike, but , as was stated before, you'll have to test it out to make sure it wasn't damaged. Good luck!

Thanks everyone!

FYI, I did get a chance to test my detector this past weekend.

It did still work well. It was able to discriminate between all four common coins on multiple passes.

It turns out the coil had come unplugged from the box unit at some point, so I don't know if that helped save it from the electromagnetic atmosphere from the lightning strike or what.

Either way, I am looking forward to getting out there (when it cools down a bit) and doing some hunting!

Take care!

Thanks everyone!

FYI, I did get a chance to test my detector this past weekend.

It did still work well. It was able to discriminate between all four common coins on multiple passes.

It turns out the coil had come unplugged from the box unit at some point, so I don't know if that helped save it from the electromagnetic atmosphere from the lightning strike or what.

Either way, I am looking forward to getting out there (when it cools down a bit) and doing some hunting!

Take care!

Great news about your detector ! .....and I think there are many of us looking forward to cooler temps and less humidity :coolinoff: :D

Back
Top Bottom