Hunted a Memphis park

Just a decade ago , if this was to happen at that park you would probably be one of VERY FEW people if any to dig it.... I blame all this on youtube..
Getting decent places to dig has become increasingly hard to find...i think youtube is the main reason digging is becoming more and more fruitless... I cant see there being anywhere good to hunt in just a few more yrs (at most) besides door knocking... there was a time someone could walk 1 hour to a cellar hole and not see it has been cleaned out and holes EVERYWHERE ...I cant imagine people who start this hobby in 1 more decade are gonna find anything old consistently, and it saddens me ....im not a big clad hunter but theres no way around the fact that this hobby gets worse with time ...of course you can dig a silver rosie at any old park , but even that can take 100 hours now adays

When the good stuff is gone ...ITS GONE,!!
Unless your a dedicated beach hunter...even door knocking is getting thin as its not unusual to hear "sure you can dig my yard, but its been hunted 1000 times by 20 different people" ....uuuuugh​

Yeah I got into this twenty years too late.

I could not figure the place out. I was hearing quite a bit of iron in places and seeing busted brick and what looked like slate shingles. There was some older looking glass here and there. I saw quite a bit of broken plates but it didn't look real old. I think there had been some structures there maybe at one time. I need to find an old map.

Long,

NC Toad and I detect a now closed golf course. The course opened in 1927. Over the course a 2 years or so, we have found 2 home site on the course. That is probably exactly what you have found.

We have pounded this course, and have had Vic....AKA CoinWhisperer down twice hunting it. To this day I can load up, and hit that place and at least one silver will come out.

Where I'm at, very few, if any md'rs ever descend on an old-town demolition site. Either they are 1) Just un-aware of the potential for goodies at such sites, or 2) Weren't aware it was going on, or the biggest issue: 3) They're afraid of orange ribbon tape/cones and/or fences.

But for me , I've taken it to the "next level" : I've even subscribed to the Builders Exchange Network ($400-ish per year), to get daily email news alerts to every single public works bids going on , in the entire state. And scout the daily email for anything that hints of old-town sidewalk tearouts, park scrapes, etc....

We actually do some demo and do sidewalk projects etc and I pretty much never make it onsite while it’s going on. [emoji15]

Getting decent places to dig has become increasingly hard to find [...] cant see there being anywhere good to hunt in just a few more yrs (at most) besides door knocking​

I'm a little bit more optimistic, but we'll see. I deleted a very long reply because it was too much. But, I think we have 30-40 years, and I think door knocking is overrated.

But, I've migrated to hunting fields more and more, and while the finds are sparse sometimes, I don't think I'll ever run out of them around here.

Last edited:
Long,

NC Toad and I detect a now closed golf course. The course opened in 1927. Over the course a 2 years or so, we have found 2 home site on the course. That is probably exactly what you have found.

We have pounded this course, and have had Vic....AKA CoinWhisperer down twice hunting it. To this day I can load up, and hit that place and at least one silver will come out.

According to 1897 Sanborn Fire Insurance maps of Poplar Ave. in Memphis where the park golf course is located numerous structures once lined the road where I was seeing brick and glass.

Makes sense. If anyone wants to hunt it thursday let me know. Would be good just to stretch on road trip for an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5ebb97647a8a993777fcd39e42cbf818.jpg

But for me , I've taken it to the "next level" : I've even subscribed to the Builders Exchange Network ($400-ish per year), to get daily email news alerts to every single public works bids going on , in the entire state. And scout the daily email for anything that hints of old-town sidewalk tearouts, park scrapes, etc....

That is what the kids these days call a "big brain move"

This park is still given up the goat

Congrats on the finds! Park tearouts can be a blast. I went to one a bunch of years ago and had a really great time hunting at night after the workers headed out, hit that spot almost every night for more than a week!

Back
Top Bottom