Which detector would you choose?

MuddyMo

Forum Supporter
A question for those of you whom have or had more than one detector. If you got a new permission (whether it be a park, field, house or cellar hole) and could only bring one detector, which one would you use???

A question for those of you whom have or had more than one detector. If you got a new permission (whether it be a park, field, house or cellar hole) and could only bring one detector, which one would you use???

My answer could be different if I knew how much time I had and some basic info about the property. It seems like the question is basically "What's your most versatile detector?" Or, at least, "What detector do you feel most confident using?" If that's the idea behind the question, then I'll make the scenario more precise: The permission only lasts for 8 hours and the only thing I know about the location is that it isn't a saltwater beach. I'd select the Equinox 800.

Today, it would be my Bandido II µMAX w/6" Concentric coil if I wanted to not use a Tone ID or Target ID model. And if I wanted those features, it would be my Garrett Apex w/5X8 'Ripper' DD coil.

Monte

1) One of the ones I have
2) The one I know best

Since we can’t have every machine/coil combo ever made(though some people try) we are relegated to what we feel most confident with and know the best. Will it be the optimal machine for the exact situation on a given day? Maybe not. Will we ever know that? Probably not. If this was a time limited situation where I could hunt a city lot for exactly 4 hours, then that would lead me to believe that the machine I have with the best ID will be my friend.

MuddyMo: said:
It's just a hypothetical, middle of winter question. People's opinions and thoughts could give us something to think about and maybe learn something.
MuddyMo, I like your "hypothetical, middle-of-winter" question. Some of us had specific model answers, and others also had a very good reply of using what they felt they knew the best, or one that was best suited for the site.

I think an addition question might be: "What one or two detectors and coils would you usually take if going to a park, field, house, or cellar hole? Of the selection, why would you pick the 'one' detector and coil to go hunt a new permission?

Monte

If I had unlimited time at that place, and I could choose many coils, it wouldn't matter that much.

Back
Top Bottom