Another hairbrained Richie idea

RichieSoprano

Hey, let's tell it like it is, right. I was thinking again(here we go)....and I thought, "gee, I don't fly anod when I go dirt hunting I carefully set my detector in the back of my Honda CRV and it is full length when I do so. Why do I even need the shaft collars anyhow. Why couldn't I just use a heat resistant non reversible epoxy inside each joint...and wrap the shafts like I used to do when I built surf rods, then epoxy coat the wraps...permanently. I don't plan on selling the machine. If I graduated to something else I could just pass it on to the wife or I could change my mind and sell it locally so mail would not be an issue. The only problem I could see is sending it in for repairs." Anyhow, that's the thought. A one piece shaft. NO MORE WOBBLES ANYWHERE. Now...what are yYOUR thoughts.

BTW....MG CHEMICALS makes an 832HD epoxy which has all the characteristics chemically for the desired results. VERY heat resistant and durable. They sell it in syringe form for use in making electronic pot units. Stuff is darn near indestructible.

If you can't get your shaft parts to cinch up tight, and you want to go through all that, epoxy will work. However, make sure you use a non-metal filled epoxy, and an epoxy that is formulated for the material you're bonding. I say non-metal filled, in case it will alter your return signal from the coil. Maybe just buy a single tube of the same material and change your tube out to a one piece.
Having built many rods, surf, fresh water and big game, I can see doing similar decorative wraps on your machine, be pretty cool. HeII, you could even wrap in your name, initials etc.

How long are you going to keep the detector vs how long are you going to keep the car? I can fit the Atpro diagonally in the backseat of my clown car, but if we are going on a trip I have to break it down to fit in the trunk. It always feels different if not wobbly after I break it down. I seldom have to break it down but want to be able to if I have to.

I would try a thin film of rtv. It should firm things up, but still be reversible.

Back
Top Bottom