Small town Big score (Again)

Majuba Man

Last week I needed to take a trip to a small town about 35 miles from home to pick-up some parts for a project that I am working on. After getting the parts I stopped by the bank in town to see if they had any .50 coin rolls. I had never been in the bank before, everyone, all three of them were nice and friendly. I asked about the .50 rolls and they asked how many I was interested in and I said 50 rolls $500 which is how many are in a box, they just looked at each other and smiled, I could tell something was going on.

They asked me if that was all I wanted and I asked how many they had, 91 rolls was the answer! They told me one on the locals had recently past away and the relatives had been rolling coins for the past three weeks and coming to the bank 2 or 3 times a week to cash them in, they had just left before I arrived. Good thing for me I am a customer of the bank because I didn't have that much cash with me so I took all 91 rolls after making a withdrawal from my checking account. The .50 coins were all they had on hand because the rest had already been sent to their main bank.

I wondered how good or bad I had done, so when I got home I chose 10 rolls from the pile and started in, first two rolls skunk, third roll 1 silver, 4th roll there was a 1928 penny and another silver. At the end of ten rolls I had 5 silvers and two pennies 1928 and 1929, hmmm what could be next?

After the 91 rolls I had the two pennies and 58 silvers, I was happy with my choice to take them all. The next day I called the branch office to see if any more rolls had showed up, the answer was no but they asked me for my name and phone number and said they would definitely give me a call when they came back in. Small town, nice people, and a good score for me.
coins 3.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. That is a great haul. I've seen a few videos of people doing this. None with a score that good. I have also heard banks get a little pissy about people doing it. I don't know why.

Wow. That is a great haul. I've seen a few videos of people doing this. None with a score that good. I have also heard banks get a little pissy about people doing it. I don't know why.
Been doing this since the mid-1970’s! Never had an issue with banks. Except lately, they don’t want to deal with cash from what I’ve heard.

Most all of the tellers are real nice, sometimes you have to spend some time explaining to the younger folks, but I don't get into much detail - don't want any more competition for a diminishing quantity.

Congrats on some great finds! I always ask when I’m at the bank. Unfortunately other people do as well and they generally seem to get here before I do. Oh well.

Another score

Well I got a call from my friendly small town bank informing me that they had received more coin rolls from the folks that had left the 91 rolls of halves a couple weeks ago. I made a special trip over to see what they had for me. I picked 19 rolls of halves 10 rolls of quarters 3 rolls of dimes and 4 rolls of pennies, the teller said this was their last trip and I thanked them for calling me.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=448084&stc=1&d=1565786454

It didn't take long to go thru them and I did have some success. I ended up with 102 copper pennies, 2 silver dimes and 6 40% silver halves, the quarters were a skunk. Still not a bad percentage, I have done a lot worse than this fairly recently.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=448085&stc=1&d=1565786454

Attachments

• 20190808_135733 (1).jpg
    20190808_135733 (1).jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 391
  • 20190808_155621 (1).jpg
    20190808_155621 (1).jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 377
Back
Top Bottom