Detector Stand

GrantT

It's been so wet and rainy here this year, and with F75 being so top-heavy it always wants to fall over into the muck! I'm sure you all know how it is to get something new and shiny and not want to get it too dirty right off the bat, so made myself a bit of a stand. Pretty universal so I think it would easily work on any detector. Total cost was about $12 I think. No physical modification to the actual detector. Used all existing holes. Weighs virtually nothing... All the parts are off the shelf home-depot plumbing department, pre-threaded and standard length etc. Standard PVC white threaded pieces, and the grey parts are pre-manufactured lawn sprinkler components.

If I am in REALLY mucky/wet area or deeper sand, it only takes about 10 seconds to just screw in a longer vertical shaft any time to make it sit higher up. Shown are two 3" threaded pieces for the base legs on a threaded TEE with threaded end caps, and a 6" threaded for the vertical piece. I also have a 12" threaded to swap in for the vertical if needed.

There would be many ways to mount the TEE to the shaft depending on the detector.

The only real effort involved in this case was reaming out the threaded "tee" to make it perfectly fit the diameter of the detector shaft. That was a bit time consuming, but I started with a larger drill bit, and then moved to a dremel tool with a grinding bit. Then I used a fine blade saw and some coarse sand paper to cut the top edge off the tee to open it up so it would just "snap" onto the shaft. It still rotated, so I drilled two small holes in the PVC that aligned with the existing holes on the shaft to hold it in position. The threads are in the plastic, not the shaft...I can remove the bolts and snap off the tee any time and no damage/modification was done to the shaft. There are a couple wires in there so had to be wary of that too.

When you want to lie the detector down, and when you are walking/detecting, you just rotate the legs 90 degrees and they are out of the way. To sit it down, rotate 90 degrees back and good to go.

Attachments

• stand-1.jpg
    stand-1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 621
  • stand-2.jpg
    stand-2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 606
  • stand-3.jpg
    stand-3.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 652
  • stand-4.jpg
    stand-4.jpg