At max or equinox 800?

Benjamin kline

Hello, I had the At pro for quite some time and its done a great job. I'm starting to think about an upgrade. I narrowed down my choices to the at max or the equinox 800. Which do you think has greater depth and junk separation, thanks.

Swore by my AT Pro for many years. Upgraded to the AT MAX and went back to the AT Pro. I now have the EQ 800 very happy to have sold my other detectors.

Both are Great Detectors have them in stock

Hello, I had the At pro for quite some time and its done a great job. I'm starting to think about an upgrade. I narrowed down my choices to the at max or the equinox 800. Which do you think has greater depth and junk separation, thanks.

call me if you have any Questions
Happy Treasure Hunting
dennis

I haven't used an AT max so I can't give a fair report, ive used the at pro and still currently use an AT Gold. My advice, keep the AT pro and buy an equinox. Good luck and happy hunting!

I like both machines have AT Max and Equinox 800, have them set a little different but I switch back and forth all the time. This is my first summer, have great spots to go, lots of late 1800 early 1900 stuff with both machines, Last week AT Max 1899 Silver Dollar next day Equinox 800 1912 Silver Dime. I am very new to this but don't know how anyone can complain about either machine.

The AT Max has a true all metal mode and supposedly has its gain boosted by about 50%. I used one for awhile and it is definitely deeper than the AT Pro and the AT Gold using the same size coil on the same target (in my case I was using an 8" quarter and an 11" Civil War 3 ringer.) The AT Max can definitely hit those targets. The target ID is not accurate but the tone is good. My Nox 800 will hit both of those targets with good accurate tones and accurate target IDs. The Nox 800 is much better at target separation, recovery speed and unmasking of targets. The true All Metal Mode on the AT Max is a big plus for it. The Nox does not have a true All Metal Mode. The Gold Modes are hybrid modes with only a few features of all metal mode and more features of the other discrimination modes on the Nox. It will still go really deep however. The choice of simultaneous multi frequencies or single frequencies, lots of audio options (Seriously, so many I can't count them and definitely haven't used them all yet) compared to the maximum three tone audio on the AT Max along with master volume control and Iron Audio on or off (no volume control) and the Nox has built in rechargeable batteries, several wireless audio options and the awesome horseshoe button!!!!!

:cool3:

Thanks for asking the questions over a year ago, in my opinion (which doesn't mean much!) these two detectors should not be compared since they are so different. The only things that are the same about them are that they are VLFs and they are all terrain detectors......definitely apples to oranges otherwise, both are very different tasting fruits.

Last edited:
I just received my nox 600. Afraid to open it now hearing of so many leaking!! Minelab having to BURP the machines??? They seem to have incredible technology, horrible quality control.

I just received my nox 600. Afraid to open it now hearing of so many leaking!! Minelab having to BURP the machines??? They seem to have incredible technology, horrible quality control.

Lots of folks downplaying the fact that the equinox has many faulty issues,, speaker cuts out, coil ears breaking, wobbly shaft, waterlogged , etc..Hell, they even cut corners on somthing as simple as including a writer owners manual so you think they went the extra mile in build quality? Lol...And that's just what we're seeing posted from a few dozen users on the forums,,imagine the thousands of people worldwide who own that machine and aren't on the forums having the same issues....I think minelab itself has obsoleted the equinox with poor design , I wouldn't buy another.

Even with the faults it is my goto detector because it is what works the best for me.
Mine isn't going anywhere.

Lots of folks downplaying the fact that the equinox has many faulty issues,, speaker cuts out, coil ears breaking, wobbly shaft, waterlogged , etc..Hell, they even cut corners on somthing as simple as including a writer owners manual so you think they went the extra mile in build quality? Lol...And that's just what we're seeing posted from a few dozen users on the forums,,imagine the thousands of people worldwide who own that machine and aren't on the forums having the same issues....I think minelab itself has obsoleted the equinox with poor design , I wouldn't buy another.

:cool3:

Thanks for asking the questions over a year ago, in my opinion (which doesn't mean much!) these two detectors should not be compared since they are so different. The only things that are the same about them are that they are VLFs and they are all terrain detectors......definitely apples to oranges otherwise, both are very different tasting fruits.

Yup,definitely apples to oranges and I couldn’t agree more with you that these machines or companies for that matter shouldn’t even be compared to each other.

It seems their technology is incredible but their QC is absolutely horrible. Very disappointing

Honestly I totally agree with you..I’ve always really liked the 705 and the equinox seems to be a upgraded 705 in my opinion..I know I joke on the equinox guys and no harm intended.But it is what it is,good performance at a reasonable price but the downside is it’s a Terrible risk vs reward with all the issues.
I had one of the first equinox off the line, I sold it after a week cause it wasn’t very good.. I bought a second one a few months later and it was night and day difference performance wise from the first one.Then I bought a $40 adapter from Minelab so I could run my gray ghost ,I prefer gg headphones above all else on the market..Well,Minelabs headphones adapter was a sham,my gray ghost wouldn’t work but the cheap whites ultralite headphones did..So much for that,I sold the equinox.
Performance wise I’d buy another one.But build quality and all the other nonsense with the equinox I would not,and won’t..Although I think it’s a good machine performance wise it’s not that much better than everything else out there to warrant the wait of If and when it’s gonna break down,and there’s too many separate issues they need to adress and fix..I saw a post of a guy who just got a 600 and asked if he should send it back..From everything going wrong with that machine I’d say get it in the mail today and buy somthing else for the time being that has no issues.

Last edited:
Coming from someone who exclusively uses the AT Pro, I definitely would choose the Nox 800 as an upgrade. The Max has worse audio tones than the Pro, the only benefit in my mind is that you might gain an inch or two of depth. I do wish the quality control was better from Minelab. I do hunt with a couple of guys that have the Nox 600 and Nox 800, no water issues as they are land hunters only, but one of them did replace the shaft, another replaced the failed cuff and both of them threw away the factory headphones.

So out of all the noxs sold how many defective ones have you heard about? I've had my nox since it came out and have had zero problems with it. The thing is with the internet forums is you hear about the few bad ones but the majority of people who have zero problems don't post that they have zero problems. I would say it's a very, very small percentage of all the noxs sold that have issues compared to ones that don't have any problems.

So out of all the noxs sold how many defective ones have you heard about? I've had my nox since it came out and have had zero problems with it. The thing is with the internet forums is you hear about the few bad ones but the majority of people who have zero problems don't post that they have zero problems. I would say it's a very, very small percentage of all the noxs sold that have issues compared to ones that don't have any problems.

I believe it's quite the opposite. There are a lot of issues out there. Plus I don't believe a lot of guys are using them in water which is not revealing more issues. There is most definitely some very poor QC on Minelab part.

Back
Top Bottom