First hunt the AT Max shined, but chatty

Serial Digger

Elite Member
Took a several year break from detecting becuase I became obsessed with arrowheads. The tobacco fields are starting to dry up these days from farmers getting out of it here in Kentucky. Figured since I was already very familiar with the AT series being I ran a pro for years and had it nailed I would stay with garret and get the max. Im used to the Pro being chatty and got used to it but man, the max seems worse. I tried all the settings. Best i found was zero with sens at 2 bars down from full and 0 disc. Went to a place I have pounded with the Pro years ago. Kept getting a high mixed in with iron nails. Wasnt consistent at all but was there. Pulled 6 old wheats with nails scattered around the plugs. Not to mention the ground is concrete from this drought. I never heard any high tones in that spot with the Pro. All were in the 3 to 4 inch range. Hearing alot of people saying dont waste your time with the max but im am very pleased after my one hunt after years off. Not to mention the backlight and wireless headphones. Hopefully I can figure out all metal mode but that's going to be a serious learning curve

Took a several year break from detecting becuase I became obsessed with arrowheads. The tobacco fields are starting to dry up these days from farmers getting out of it here in Kentucky. Figured since I was already very familiar with the AT series being I ran a pro for years and had it nailed I would stay with garret and get the max. Im used to the Pro being chatty and got used to it but man, the max seems worse. I tried all the settings. Best i found was zero with sens at 2 bars down from full and 0 disc. Went to a place I have pounded with the Pro years ago. Kept getting a high mixed in with iron nails. Wasnt consistent at all but was there. Pulled 6 old wheats with nails scattered around the plugs. Not to mention the ground is concrete from this drought. I never heard any high tones in that spot with the Pro. All were in the 3 to 4 inch range. Hearing alot of people saying dont waste your time with the max but im am very pleased after my one hunt after years off. Not to mention the backlight and wireless headphones. Hopefully I can figure out all metal mode but that's going to be a serious learning curve

Glad to hear your first outing was a (mixed) success. It drives me crazy the Pro doesn't have a backlight. The completely wireless headphones are a nice upgrade!

You're a pro with the Pro, so I'm sure you'll have the Max tamed in no time. Before you dig the next really good 4"+ coin signal test out how low you can go on the sensitivity and still get a solid hit (and less chatter). The max is so hot I bet you can go down another notch without losing any significant depth, if that helps quiet things down.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom